New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eye relief?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone know what the eye relief is on the old El Paso Tx Weaver K2.5, K3, and K4 scopes?

Thanks

Posts: 1662 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If non one gets you an answer today, I'll try and get it tonight. I used a lot of them. I know the K-2.5 and K3 were longer eye relief than than K-4 or K-6, but not quite as long as a Lyman Alaskan.
I am thinking the K 2.5 and K 3 were around 5.5 to 6 inches from memory. I'll watch the post and can look up spec tonight.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScottS:
Anyone know what the eye relief is on the old El Paso Tx Weaver K2.5, K3, and K4 scopes?

Thanks

K2.5 3.0-6.0 Inches, same on K-3
K 4= 3.0-5.5 inches covers 1947-84, except K-3 wasn't available until '57 or'58.
A specfic ad I found for for 1976, shows 4.5 of K 2.5 and 4" for the K3 & 4. The first list is from the 1956 Shooter's Bible, and '57 Gun Digest. They always gave me good service on my rifles. Leupold may have had a little brighter scopeor B &L, but Weaver had their adjustments beat 7 ways from Sunday.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AfricanHunter,

You are a gentleman and a scholar, thank you very much!

Posts: 1662 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Funny you should ask, I went on a measuring binge a while back and posted my results:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?C...8&an=0&page=1#988808

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
According to the old Weaver catalog from 1979, the max eye relief is :

K-1.5 is 5 1/4"

k-2.5 is 4 1/2"

K-3 is 4"

K-4 is 4"

K-6 is 3 7/8"

K-8 is 3 3/4"

The long eye relief of the lower power scopes was the reason they were so popular inAfrica, for heavy kicking rifles, plus they stay together.The price range of between $52.50 to $99.95, didn't hurt them either!

They had 5 reticles for the whole range of fixed power scopes:

#1 crosshair

#2 DUAL-X

#3 post & crosshair

#4 range finder

#5 corsshair & dot

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi, Does any one know what the eye relief is on the v4.5II ie 1.5-4.5?
Many Thanks

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Frazer:
Funny you should ask, I went on a measuring binge a while back and posted my results:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?C...8&an=0&page=1#988808

John: I hope people read your post. What you have verified is that published scope specifications are generally fiction, particularly when it comes to eye relief.

Now, although you measured the optimum eye relief by the Barsness method, what this method doesn't show is the range of acceptable eye relief, or the "eye window". The eye window is much longer with some makes of scopes. You can acheive a longer eye relief and eye window by slightly reducing field of view. In an optical gunsight this is a very good trade.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an ElPaso K4 on my Marlin 1895 and eye relief
appears to be ~4.5"

Funny thing is I wasn't even looking for this scope when I got it.

I was looking for a "Shooter grade" early 70's production 94 Winchester in 30-30 and I found a rather "gunky/dusty"
one for $199 and thought I had gotten a good deal
everything was still there, even the original hood for the front site...

the 94 came with a crappy looking quiksite mount with an unidentified (and equally "gunky/dusty") steel tube fixed power scope...

It was only after I had that quicksite side mount off and the rifle degunked (and it cleaned up REAL nice) that I took the time to look at the scope and discovered what it was.
As installed the name was covered by the rear ring.

I'm still not sure which I got the better deal on, the rather clean 1973 vintage 94 or the Weaver K4, but the fact remains I got BOTH for $200

the K4 looks much better sitting on a redfield base with Leupold ultra low rings on top of my marlin than it did on the cheezy kwiksite side-mount on the winchester.

And the blue scope and the blue (1972 vintage) 1895 just look "right" together...

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote