New
Find
Notify
Tools

RSA Guns permits ..how young?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
At what age can a person get a fire-arms permit in RSA ?

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
I think I read it was 18, but inorder to get the permit you need proof of ownership... Which is 18 in the US.

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
21, unfortunately as I recall.

Since no one in the country can get a license untill 21 years of age.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2549 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry

The minimum age for a temp firearm import permit is 21.

Aubrey

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
Terry,
the general age is 21. At this time you would be allowed as a SA citizen, to apply for a "competency Certificate" and then a licence.
There is nothing in the firearms act that indicates age wrt an import permit, but they might refer/fall back to what I have just mentioned.
However, there is a facility in the Act whereby someone who is less than 21 (no age specified)who has special circumstance or requirement eg work, dedicated sports person, dedicated hunter, to make application. In the dedicated section, effectively one should belong to a local "accredited" hunting association and apply for dedicated status through them.
If you need an answer to a more specific question, either pm me or ask on the forum and I will endeavour to get you an answer from our firearms people and post it.
Pity you did not ask this last week. We as amateur and professional hunter assocs' meet with the head of firearms and his henchmen on a quarterly basis to try and thrash issues out, and we did so last wed.

Harris Safaris
PO Box 853
Gillitts
RSA 3603

www.southernafricansafaris.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/pages...=aymt_homepage_panel

"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne." - Karen Blixen,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Air-2000 just confirmed it is 21.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote