THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Silk Purse out of a Sow's Ear (Kinda)

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Silk Purse out of a Sow's Ear (Kinda)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I ordered a Cz 458 Lott a while back (8 1/2 week wait) with the upgraded wood. I customized it to my liking. Which was to add a forend tip & grip cap, fill the hollow in the bolt handle all with dark walnut. Put a shadow line on the cheek piece, fill the front stud hole, install a barrel band, file of the XXX's on top of barrel, tone down the stampings on receiver & barrel, reblue, & apply a nice satin tung oil finish. I also fabricated a hi-viz front sight out of a shotgun sight. ( for my old eyes!) I smoothed the action & did a trigger job. Now It's ready to go to Africa with a little load development. Pic's below if interested.
Regards Mike

Posts: 308 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 12 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is quite an improvement!

Maybe someone from CZ will view this thread and get some ideas.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Wow, you did a great job. Really gave it a classic look.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
It's beautiful, too pretty for a man to carry though so send it to me.

Posts: 19155 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSEK
posted Hide Post
It really turned out well.

How did you go about filling the bolt handle?

Posts: 308 | Location: In transit | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
You did a great job. I really like the figure in the stock. You made a very nice rifle out of the CZ. I hope it shoots as good as it looks.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I cut a thin piece of walnut & used the appropriate size gasket punch & used a dremel tool to bevel it, then lastly epoxied it in. Regards Mike

Posts: 308 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 12 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, that is really nice. I take it thats upgraded wood from CZ, not a custom you did. Thats a really nice piece of wood.

I like the front sight also, you did very good.

I'm having a stock for my 416 turned, I'd be tickled if mine came out half that good.

Hope you didn't get oil on your wifes white couch......

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
excellent work.....It's good enough for the kind of girls I go out with.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike ..... you did a great job. One question - why didn't you install one or two crossbolts while doing the project ? The reason I'm asking is that I just bought a CZ American 550 in .416 Rigby, and was told by CZ-USA that crossbolts weren't needed with the new American stock, but I'm a little skeptical. What's your thoughts ?

Posts: 1582 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Mike ..... you did a great job. One question - why didn't you install one or two crossbolts while doing the project ? The reason I'm asking is that I just bought a CZ American 550 in .416 Rigby, and was told by CZ-USA that crossbolts weren't needed with the new American stock, but I'm a little skeptical. What's your thoughts ?

My gun has 3 recoil lugs & has a very generous clearance around rear of action & trigger guard. I used brownells steel-bed to bed the recoil lugs & feel that it will endure, of course only time will tell. Regards Mike

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Looks very very good. Just wondering though...the white socks up on the chair?!?

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Looks very very good. Just wondering though...the white socks up on the chair?!?

Actually those are bleached sow ears!
Regards Mike

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Great, Mike. And now you have the rifle to shoot those sows and get more sows ears.
Max

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I'm impressed! You did a great job. You should offer that as a package for other CZ owners.

Kyler

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boha
posted Hide Post
You have got the touch. Congratulations!

Boha, still working on one

Posts: 493 | Location: Finland | Registered: 18 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking, great job! I like the American stock style much better than the hogback.

What is the upgraded wood option? How much? That looks better than the wood I have seen on some high-priced semicustoms.

And BTW, it is still easy to add crossbolts. You would have to re-bed, of course. The B-square jig works great, and Roger Kehr does a very handsome engraving job on them.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I LIKE it!
Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, that was well done! You've turned an ordinary rifle into a work of art. You know that talent like that shouldn't be wasted on only hobbies and maybe you should try it commercially. You make me want to go get a CZ even though I haven't seen a one in a bigbore that I've ever liked.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good job and it looks really nice...Why not add a steel grip cap?, that would top it off...

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
That is a very nice piece of work. I love the stock.

I think I'd have to double cross-bolt it, though, if it were mine. I'd hate to see such a beautiful piece of wood split at the tang.

Nice job.

Posts: 13389 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only thing that I would consider is cutting off the ugly OEM CZ bolt handle and replacing it with a straight drop Obendorf style handle. That change would give the gun a lot of class.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice. I have a question that does not relate to your very nice work: I know why a sling stud on the forend is undesirable in a heavy recoiling rifle, and thus know why the barrel band approach is used, but, it seems to me that if one uses the sling while shooting (military style), as I nearly always do, that the barrel stress would effect point of impact. I have contemplated putting the swivel stud on the end of the forend (cap) at about a 45 degree angle, thus getting it out of the way of your hand, but not pulling on the barrel. Your (or anyone's) thoughts on this?

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Add my, "Good job!" to the many already.

Posts: 157 | Location: The Edge of Texas | Registered: 26 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Nice. I have a question that does not relate to your very nice work: I know why a sling stud on the forend is undesirable in a heavy recoiling rifle, and thus know why the barrel band approach is used, but, it seems to me that if one uses the sling while shooting (military style), as I nearly always do, that the barrel stress would effect point of impact. I have contemplated putting the swivel stud on the end of the forend (cap) at about a 45 degree angle, thus getting it out of the way of your hand, but not pulling on the barrel. Your (or anyone's) thoughts on this?

Arts,

Check out Brockman's Magnum Sling Swivel Stud for just such an application. Looks classy and isn't that expensive. Don't know how it holds up if there is a forend tip.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's along the lines of what I have in mind. I don't see why a regular stud couldn't be used, just a different location, and a properly attached forend tip should make no difference, as it should be as solid as the original forend.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I just like the way the barrel band looks, it looks more like a african rifle with the band, plus it hangs lower on your shoulder & makes it easier to navigate through brush & trees. I am not going to scope this rifle, it is going to be for up close & personal work. So what ever difference the strap hanging down makes on accuracy will be minimal for its intended use.

Regards Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Nice looking, great job! I like the American stock style much better than the hogback.

What is the upgraded wood option? How much? That looks better than the wood I have seen on some high-priced semicustoms.

And BTW, it is still easy to add crossbolts. You would have to re-bed, of course. The B-square jig works great, and Roger Kehr does a very handsome engraving job on them.

Todd

The wood upgrade cost approx. $400 extra.
Regards Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Indeed, it looks nice. I was not suggesting for even a moment that you do it differently, only inquiring for opinions for my use.

one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

That is nice and a very good cal,,Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote