THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Announcement From The African Sporting Gazette

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Announcement From The African Sporting Gazette
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
What’s in a Name?
African Sporting Gazette is now African Hunting Gazette

Changing the name of a magazine is either the boldest – or the craziest – thing one can do. But here’s my thinking:

In 2000, when I took over the title African Sporting Gazette from John Ormiston, who also published the Scottish Sporting Gazette and lived in Irnverness, Scotland, the name seemed appropriate to me. While we were producing and publishing ASG in South Africa, the name always conjured up to me images of hunters on horseback pursuing foxes.

But now as we approach our 10th anniversary of publishing the best magazine about hunting in Africa four times a year, it appears that the majority of our readers now live in North America, Europe and the South Pacific. Simultaneously, we are forever receiving press releases on rugby, and being placed next to soccer magazines on newsstands. Even worse, Googling ‘hunt’ or ‘hunting’ does not bring you to our website – the website for the magazine that every enthusiastic hunter with interest in any aspect of African hunting safaris – African Hunting Gazette.

Our magazine is about African hunting, whether it is with a rifle, shotgun, bow or handgun. Sometimes it felt to me that our magazine’s name was not ideally describing our mission: to provide you with a pleasurable experience while getting the information and insights into African hunting safaris.

So it is with both excitement and butterflies in our stomachs, we bring you a new chapter, and a new look and feel as we go into our next decade. Welcome to the new African Hunting Gazette.

Richard Lendrum
Publisher, African Hunting Gazette

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I, for one, remember fondly the days when hunters were also commonly referred to as "sportsmen" - there is a gentlemanly, fair play and fair chase connotation to that name that is fitting and proper.

I don't mean to quibble with this name change. It's fine as far as I am concerned.

But to my mind, for the something that is gained, there is also something that is lost.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"The times, they are a changin.'"

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Richard: I believe you're doing the right thing in changing the name. I'm not a bow hunter, but I know those guys have to be represented. Barring the bow hunting articles I read 96% of your content, in every issue. You're second to no other publication in serving a complete menu of African safari hunting, the way it confronts the hunter.

Re-branding is always a fun challenge.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote