THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Safari Ching Sling Africa Evaluation

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safari Ching Sling Africa Evaluation
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Doyle Hufstedler
posted
Prior to going to Africa I equipted my CZ 550 375 with a Safari Ching Sling. I have had a lot of experience with the regular Ching sling and it has been useful. The Ching slings are shooting slings that allow one to have the usefulness of a military loop sling in a fast package.
The utility of the Safari sling was first evident in that rhe wide front end made the “heavy†rifle more confotnitble on long stalks. I acquired shooting positions twice when hunting but when it came time for the kill it was off the sticks. Acquisition was fast and steady both times. Note: Muscle stiffness and lack of flexibility make it difficult for me use the sling quickly in some positions (my fault not the slings). The shooting sling does not provide true stability in the off hand position, however I find that because of the quick acquisition it does provide me an additional measure of stability. In offhand shots where no rests are available and grass or other obstructions prohibit normal field positions.

Doyle

"He must go -- go -- go away from here!
On the other side the world he's overdue.
'Send your road is clear before you when the old Spring-fret comes o'er you,
And the Red Gods call for you!"
Rudyard Kipling - 1887 - The Feet Of The Young Men

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
The developer of the Ching Sling is a regular here on AR. Perhaps he can give you the information that you are looking for, or add to this post. Eric, where are you?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I really believe a sling can help your shooting.
have usede a loop sling when shooting highpower, and a hasty sling when hunting.

I recently bought a Safari Ching Sling made by Galco.
It is a high quality product. I have shot it a few times on m y Blaser R 93 in 375 H&H. So far I like it. I will be teating it quite a bit in the future as I am taking my Blaser to Africa in Oct.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
Doyle:
Thanks for the comments on how well the Safari Ching Sling worked for you. As with all shooting slings, it provides most stability in supported shooting positions and less in off-hand position, but what I've been told by hunters who shoot off-hand fairly often is that it provides more stability in that position than others.

---
Eric Ching
"The pen is mightier than the sword...except in a swordfight."

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
I used Andy Langlois leather Ching SLing last November and it was surprisingly comfortable to carry muzzle down.

Liked it alot!

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Eric (Slingster) sent me a prototype in '01 IIRC, and I have been using it since. It works well.

I like it for muzzle-up carry because you can hook your thumb over the cross piece, and have a natural hold.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm getting ready for some practice with mine. Just finished shortening it enough for me. At 5'1" w/ 12 1/4" LOP, most slings are tad bit long! The thing that attracted me to the Safari Ching Sling in the beginning was an article in Magnum and the fact that you don't have to wrap yourself up in the thing to use it.

Also, Slingster is really nice about advice if you need it - what better source?

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John Osborne, who used to conduct Ph tests in Zimbabwe, would fail any professional hunter who had a sling of any kind on this rifle.

Posts: 1116 | Location: asted@freenet.de | Registered: 14 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ted

Interesting comment since a couple of PH not necessarily from Zim told me the surest way to get killed in the bush is to have your sling get caught in the bush as you are raising your rifle to shoot that buff or ele that comes at you from nowhere.

I take a sling but it resides in my pocket most of the time on safari.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Ph also had me remove my slings.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I must agree with the above posts about using a sling in heavy cover.
I take it off.
In fact on both my trips to Zim I never had a sling on either of my rifles.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my experience phs are as irrational about slings as they are about long pants. Just seems to come with the territory. (I don't buy that slings are dangerous, take a look at military weapons and see how many don't have a sling)

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote