Find
Notify
Tools

Kasonso revival
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted
Kasonso was once one of Africa's famous hunting grounds and matched the Moyowosi in it's heyday. Over the years I watched Kasonso decline as one of Zambia's iconic hunting blocks. To be honest I thought we had lost it for good.

It is a vast concession that inhabits impenetrable swamps but is more noted for its expansive plains extending from the Busanga region of the bordering Kafue National Park. Here some of the best Lion and Buffalo to come out of Africa are recorded in the book. The habitat is such that populations of game survived but it always lacked attention and investment.

Lets rewind a couple of years and introduce the Cuturi family. Who? Exactly and they have single handedly turned this concession around with some massive effort and investment. NEVER have I seen such participation in the protection of wildlife like this family. They have bought in aircraft both planes and a helicopter to address poaching and have implemented a protective umbrella over the entire concession at their own expense. The game has responded and has filtered out of the Park to replenish this magical area. They post daily photographs of the rejuvenation process and here is one that I received this evening.

In addition I will be posting photographs of the recovery and the game as I get them. There are wonderful images of big herds of Buffalo, Sable, Roan, Red Lechwe to name a few notables. They have a FB page Ntengu Safaris which is run by their son. I would appreciate it if you do not bombard him with safari hunting queries as he is still finding his feet in the industry.

They look to be opening their doors to hunting next year if and when they are convinced of the trophy quality and quantity of game.

I did get a peek at their inaugural prices and they are quite expensive but then again there is no way they will get a return on their investments and it is simply all about passion.

What a breath of fresh air.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9947 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Great to hear. Did my second safari there in 1983. Shot first buffalo there.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't wait to see the next installment of pictures...

Posts: 2623 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted the Kosonso in 98.. My 1st African trip. Game numbers were way down back then unless you wanted a Puku.. My best bull of my hunts was there.. A nice 44"... I ended up shooting three more bulls and two cows due to botched poacher gut shot animals.. Lions!... Oh my God the lions were everywhere at night.. Every time we saw an Ele, he/she was chasing us (3 times) I'd love to go back, even as an observer.. Kosonso was my first love, and we all know how you never stop dreaming of your first time Wink Oh... Btw... Ray Miligan or Mcmilion (sp?) lost all my trophies except I was able to recover my Buff thanks to a hard working U.S F&G officer in N.Y..

MopaneMike

Posts: 1112 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MopaneMike:
I hunted the Kosonso in 98.. My 1st African trip. Game numbers were way down back then unless you wanted a Puku.. My best bull of my hunts was there.. A nice 44"... I ended up shooting three more bulls and two cows due to botched poacher gut shot animals.. Lions!... Oh my God the lions were everywhere at night.. Every time we saw an Ele, he/she was chasing us (3 times) I'd love to go back, even as an observer.. Kosonso was my first love, and we all know how you never stop dreaming of your first time Wink Oh... Btw... Ray Miligan or Mcmilion (sp?) lost all my trophies except I was able to recover my Buff thanks to a hard working U.S F&G officer in N.Y..

Do you have a picture of that buff?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
posted Hide Post
Andrew,

My first time in Zambia was in'98 and I remember the fireside talk with Arthur Taylor about how great Kasonso had been. Glad to see folks are trying to revive it. Amazing what a few seasons of full on anti poaching can do.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Andrew,

My first time in Zambia was in'98 and I remember the fireside talk with Arthur Taylor about how great Kasonso had been. Glad to see folks are trying to revive it. Amazing what a few seasons of full on anti poaching can do.

Mark

Hi Mark,

There are few places that can offer Lion, Leopard, Buffalo, Sitatunga, Red Lechwe not to mention Roan and Sable.

I look forward to hunting here and have a few good folk who are interested.

Cheers

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great to hear these conservation success stories from Zambia tu2

Keen to see the lechwe pics if you can post them

Formerly Gun Barrel Ecologist

Posts: 324 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 04 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always good to get positive reports

On a cautionary note i hope its not just the area around the swamp that is being looked after and protected; a lot of the pics from Kasonso since it has been under new management appear to focus on a small area of the concession. Kasonso is made special by the diversity of the area and it all deserves to be given the same amount of effort.

It has flourished for periods under other responsible and ethical outfitters management and it would be wonderful to see it do so again!

Look forward to more updates

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GBE:
Great to hear these conservation success stories from Zambia tu2

Keen to see the lechwe pics if you can post them

Here you go mate. Note only Red Lechwe occur here.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
46/47 inch Sable bull.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Black Lechwe
posted Hide Post
Now THAT'S a red lechwe! A real one, not some game-farm hybrid between red and kafue that you get in SA.

Would be great if red lechwe could be hunted again in Zambia- a lechwe hatrick!

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black Lechwe:
Now THAT'S a red lechwe! A real one, not some game-farm hybrid between red and kafue that you get in SA.

Would be great if red lechwe could be hunted again in Zambia- a lechwe hatrick!

That is the plan but they are going to be expensive as they cannot be hunted elsewhere in Zambia.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Between here and Instagram, you're killing me with your pics Andrew. I wanna come over to Zambia so bad!!!

One of these days I'm going to come see you . . .

Posts: 112 | Location: Hills of SW MO | Registered: 04 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bakerb:
Between here and Instagram, you're killing me with your pics Andrew. I wanna come over to Zambia so bad!!!

Me too. Again! dancing

Possibly any side views of this magnificent Sable Andrew?

Posts: 2623 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:
quote:
Originally posted by bakerb:

Me too. Again! dancing

Possibly any side views of this magnificent Sable Andrew?

I don't mate but any Sable that doubles back like that is very big. The last one I shot which was 48.5 did not offer us a side view either!

Trust me.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow Andrew!!!

So are you booking hunts there now?

Best regards, Darin

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D. Nelson:
Wow Andrew!!!

Best regards, Darin

You know me I am a hunting whore!

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks like there are atleast "decent" numbers of game there now.

Andrew do you have any idea, guesstimate of what percentage of historical game numbers exist there now?

Posts: 1915 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Safari2:
It looks like there are atleast "decent" numbers of game there now.

Andrew do you have any idea, guesstimate of what percentage of historical game numbers exist there now?

Not really but Kasonso was noted for its many thousands of Buffalo and heavy maned Lions.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good to see conservation at its best! Thanks for the info, Andrew. Keep it (and pics) coming!

Skip Nantz

Posts: 539 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
So inspiring to see great safari country being resurrected! Well done!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7557 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Pictures of Busanga plains Lion taken in the Park adjoining Kasonso. Kasonso was always noted for its exceptional Lion quality.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
Always good to hear news like this about kasonso.

That last picture would make a great painting.

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
Originally posted by D. Nelson:
Wow Andrew!!!

Best regards, Darin

You know me I am a hunting whore!

I may have said that myself!!! rotflmo

Regards, Darin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Do you have a picture of that buff?

Yes.... Both mounted and in the dirt.. PM me your email and I'll do the best I can..

MopaneMike

Posts: 1112 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fairgame... Pics.. Are emailed.. Sorry couldn't do better..

Regards

MopaneMike

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:

Regards

Thanks and great curl on that buff. Hoping to be doing a couple of hunts there next year for a range of species but really looking forward to pursuing the big buff the area is noted for.

Cheers

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Regards

Thanks and great curl on that buff. Hoping to be doing a couple of hunts there next year for a range of species but really looking forward to pursuing the big buff the area is noted for.

Cheers

Hunting them out on the flats after the lions have pushed them out of the parks was a completely different kind of hunt. Seeing them and then getting on them was quite challenging.. Pucker factor experience when your in the tall grass with them only knowing their location by the oxpeckers and the occasional grunt and snort within couple arms length.. God I'd give all to do it again..

MopaneMike

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Regards

Cheers

Hunting them out on the flats after the lions have pushed them out of the parks was a completely different kind of hunt. Seeing them and then getting on them was quite challenging.. Pucker factor experience when your in the tall grass with them only knowing their location by the oxpeckers and the occasional grunt and snort within couple arms length.. God I'd give all to do it again..

'In the long grasses of Kasonso you can hear your heart beat' one noted PH quoted.

Let us see if we can make an affordable plan for you mate.

Cheers

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal