New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stellenbauch, SA
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
First, let me apologize for posting this here...I'm sure it is not the right place but felt this forum has the most exposure and I am seeking information.

My son is a 4th year medical student at Northwestern University. He and another student are going to be doing a one month rotation in Stellenbauch, South Africa in February. They had hoped to stay in some dorms there but have learned there will be no availability. They are considering a youth hostel, but would like to experience the culture of the region more. Does anyone know of any honest, reliable person/business who might offer accomodations to rent to them while they are there? Also, can anyone tell me about that area? Safety, crime, etc....all the things a dad worries about??

Thank you!!!

..............Keith Brown

Posts: 109 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 22 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stellenbosch is one of the lovliest of the old towns in the Cape, Keith. The University is among the premier institutions of learning in South Africa and arguably the best of an Afrikaans tertiary education tradition.

The town is not very big and crime has not, to the best of my knowledge, been an issue.

It is, although Dad might not like to know it, at the center of one of the most prolific wine-producing regions with vineyards of major reputation worth visiting. SFW (Stellenbosch Farmers Winery) and KWV (Afrikaans acronym for the Wine Farmers Coop) are headquartered on the outskirts of the town.

Unfortunately, I only know the odd professor in economics or politics and none in medicine. But, the town is well known for its bed and breakfast places and for some small hotels. Just google and you'll find accomodations with a decent rate for a month-long stay.

Hopefully some South African board members can elaborate on or correct the above, even making specific suggestions.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tim!!!!

Posts: 109 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 22 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vemo
posted Hide Post
Nice place, Stellenbauch. It is set apart from the hustle and bustle of Cape Town and the beach communities. It is located approximately 45 minutes northeast of the Cape Town airport.
Alot of colonial history there. The Boer armory has a nice collection of period arms in the old powder magazine at the military park. I was told the university was actively looking for english speaking foreign students to study there which peaked my daughters interest at the time.
The wine business near Stellenbauch has attracted a lot of attention, the amount of money flowing is impressive. We have visited vineyards world-wide and my impression is the facilities in Stellenbauch are first rate.
Petty theft and street crime are probably lower than average for SA, but don't take my word for it.

JOIN SCI!

Posts: 318 | Location: 40N,105W | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fvh40
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JKeith:
First, let me apologize for posting this here...I'm sure it is not the right place but felt this forum has the most exposure and I am seeking information.

My son is a 4th year medical student at Northwestern University. He and another student are going to be doing a one month rotation in Stellenbauch, South Africa in February. They had hoped to stay in some dorms there but have learned there will be no availability. They are considering a youth hostel, but would like to experience the culture of the region more. Does anyone know of any honest, reliable person/business who might offer accomodations to rent to them while they are there? Also, can anyone tell me about that area? Safety, crime, etc....all the things a dad worries about??

Thank you!!!

..............Keith Brown

Hello Keith
Please forward your email address, I've spoken to friends, maybe i can help. Need to ask you a few questions.
Ferdi

PH 47/2015 EC
HC 16/2015 EC
Ferdi Venter
ferdiventer@gmail.com
http://www.ferdiventerhunting.com

Nature at your doorstep

Posts: 305 | Location: SA Eastern Cape | Registered: 20 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Ferdi...I have sent you an email.

.............Keith

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Visited Stellenbosch a few years ago. Visited a Kiwi winemaker acquaintance who was at the time working for some rich guy owning a boutique winery. Visited lots of other wineries in the region and met the winemakers through the contact. Also in some of the other wine growing regions in that part of the Cape.

Actually stayed at Somerset further to the South.

Stellenbosch itself is a very expensive place. Home to lots of very wealthy people. Accommodation might be cheaper to the South a bit more. This was also what the winemaker said, he said he couldn't afford to live in Stellenbosch itself.

Lovely area and well worth him staying there. Not much hunting in those settled parts but probably the locals get up to some form just like anywhere.

Part of the early bedrock of early settlement. Franschhoek nearby is also a place where the French Huguenots settled. Tulbagh more to the North is a nice village with many colonial buildings.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote