I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of T man
posted Hide Post
I volunteered at a zoo for a few years in high school, this sort of thing wasn't uncommon. It was amazing to see how small children brought out that predator instinct.

I didn't go up there to die, I went up there to live.

Posts: 114 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Saw the same thing with a polar bear in the Roger Williams Park Zoo in Rhode Island. There was a section in the "pool" area that allowed you to watch the polar bears swim and "play" under water.
The underwater roar of a frustrated polar bear is one of the most frightening things I've ever heard.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why the Hell would you torment a lion with your own kid? Honest to God! People just freak me out on a daily basis.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13015 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
As usual, people with no clue what so ever. I worked at a major zoo for 24+ years, and it was always amazing how many parents could not recognise the reaction of the large predators, as stalking behavior, and not just the animal trying to be cute or funny.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Mark and CHC,

I was thinking the same thing. If that were my child I would have picked him up and escaped with him. When that polar bear went on the "attack" though there was thick, "impenatrable" glass between us I took my daughter's hand and made haste. So did everyone else.

No need to torture the animal nor tempt fate.

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can remember watching parents on busy Saturdays and Sundays, holding their toddlers under their arm pitys and hanging them out over the moats along the front of the lion exhibit.

That bitch lioness we had, Gretchen would have been half way up the wall and caught a kid in mid air if some one would have ever dropped one.

Watched it too many times, heard it too many others, folks thought it was "Neat" how the big cats would react toward kids.

Had no idea of what those reactions meant.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Such stupidity is one of the things that unfortunately keeps me in business.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Well, this video was also on Fox News this morning and Martha McCallum thought it was so cute to see the lion trying to get at the child. I thought, what an idiot! That cat has only one thing on its mind and you could tell that by the way that it was trying, behind the glass, to put its jaws around and over the head of the child. Makes you wonder about humankind. . . .

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Did you read the comment from the dad? Quite proud that his boy stood his ground.

This is the foolishness that causes people to get out of their cars to pet the cute animals - just before being eaten.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Why the Hell would you torment a lion with your own kid? Honest to God! People just freak me out on a daily basis.

Mark

I am with you Mark!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37878 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it just goes to show how far most of us have moved away from the natural world. I think these people see these animals in the same light as if they were on TV. A complete disconnect from the reality of the wild.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13015 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
I think it just goes to show how far most of us have moved away from the natural world. I think these people see these animals in the same light as if they were on TV. A complete disconnect from the reality of the wild.

Mark

+1

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...y-dog_n_1462963.html

Baby Killed By Dog In Henderson, Nevada On His (Baby's) First Birthday: House pet 6-year-old Mastiff-Ridgeback mix at grandma's house birthday party,
infant crawled over to dog and pulled it's fur, dog took infant's head into mouth and shook, broke neck.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
That was at the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo in Colorado Springs. My wife was taking a preschool class up there the day the video was taken (the child in the video was not part of her class) Everytime the mom took the toddler away, she screamed so she would put the toddler back. Meanwhile the Dad kept video recording ...

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4777 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
Why would you ever want to stress test the lion enclosure or how far a lion can jump with your kid as bait.

As I recall a Tiger surprised some Zoo designers a few years back.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,318365,00.html

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Little kids always look helpless and tasty to big carnivores. And their little high pitched squels just make it worse.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I agree the same zoo (it's a really nice small city zoo) has a silver back gorilla with a sign don't stare at the gorilla (which makes everyone under 30 stare). He has cracked the glass.

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4777 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mark

Clearly the animals have better memories and instincts than us humans. Though caged and captive bred, they still know they are apex predators.

~Ann

Posts: 19557 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Mark, your comment is dead on and summed up my feelings quite well, then I thought about it, was honest with myself, and came to the conclusion that both of that childs parents should have the living shit kicked out of them.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Rip: Yes, the one year old's death here in Vegas was quite sad. And on the baby's first birthday of all things, as reported! I understand that it was over, however, in a split second-broken neck and severe facial injuries. I'll leave it to your imagination.

One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
quote:

Note that the kid's jacket is striped like a zebra.

Was it more than a year ago when some young men tormented a siberian tiger at a California zoo? It leapt the wall and killed two of them. It had to be put down because it was loose, which was a darned shame as so few are left in the wild and it was a beauty.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anjin:
quote:

I doubt the strps had anything to do with this , That lion has most likely never seen a zebra in her life. This simple instinct, of the taking of the target of opertunity, noting more!
........................................................................ coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anjin:

Yep, black and white, zebra foal.
Creepy video.

And the Henderson, NV infant was wearing a black and yellow striped suit/costume, like a bumble bee, in the photo linked above,
standing beside the huge dog with adult "assistant."

Another visual trigger for instinct to take head in mouth and shake?
Lioness: Kill and eat baby zebra, or any baby not of the pride!

Dog: Bite bumble bee that just stung/yanked dog's fur?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I doubt the strps had anything to do with this , That lion has most likely never seen a zebra in her life. This simple instinct, of the taking of the target of opertunity, noting more!

Excellent observation Sir. tu2

Mac hit it on the head folks. Until or unless you have worked around captive larger feline and canine predators on a regular basis and had time to observe their behaviors, it is easy to come up with some kind of explanation, when the explanation is, they simply recognise kids as smaller/weaker prey, nothing more-nothing less.

It does not matter what the kid is wearing. The instant they see a kid or infant in its parents arms for that matter, they will lock their eyes on that target till it is out of sight

One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:

Excellent observation Sir. tu2

Mac hit it on the head folks. Until or unless you have worked around captive larger feline and canine predators on a regular basis and had time to observe their behaviors, it is easy to come up with some kind of explanation, when the explanation is, they simply recognise kids as smaller/weaker prey, nothing more-nothing less.

It does not matter what the kid is wearing. The instant they see a kid or infant in its parents arms for that matter, they will lock their eyes on that target till it is out of sight

You are no doubt right. Size and helplessness are major factors. I do think, though, that the stripes might have some impact on instinctive behavior for any large predator.

Also, granted that tigers and zebras normally do not go together, these are zoo animals and who knows what kind of contacts they have had. Confused

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It does not matter what the kid is wearing.

From my experience dealing with various animal species, even though in many cases they are multiple generations away from the wild, is that some instincts are "Hard Wired" due to evolution. With the predators this is even more apparent.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Baby Killed By Dog In Henderson, Nevada On His (Baby's) First Birthday: House pet 6-year-old Mastiff-Ridgeback mix at grandma's house birthday party,
infant crawled over to dog and pulled it's fur, dog took infant's head into mouth and shook, broke neck.

Yeah, and some idiot in Chicago has filed a legal challenge to stop the destruction of the dog. A Henderson judge yesterday signed a TRO precluding the euthanasia until an evidenciary hearing on Friday. I don't understand people.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanna:
quote:

Yeah, and some idiot in Chicago has filed a legal challenge to stop the destruction of the dog. A Henderson judge yesterday signed a TRO precluding the euthanasia until an evidenciary hearing on Friday. I don't understand people.

Bwanna,
I agree with you.
I love dogs, but ...
I heard that on the radio news yesterday, and said to my wife: "That's just wrong."
I have held a pet dog in my arms as the vet started an IV, pushed the drug, and let the dog go peacefully to sleep.
Euthanasia is good sometimes.
Very much called for sometimes.
A busy-body idiot in Chicago, IL has no right to aggravate a suffering family in Henderson, NV.
Probably a PETA idiot. Roll Eyes

Across state lines, does this mean the feds are involved?
Surely the Henderson, Nevada judge is not an idiot?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good evidence that there is noe such thing as a pet lion!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its photo shopped. its an advert along the same lines as the miniature giraffes!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps.

There is/was a place near west Palm Beach that is a wild life exhibit. It is quite a few acres. There are lots of lions. I have seen those lions trying to get at little kids through the fence not unlike the video.

Posts: 12103 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Its photo shopped. its an advert along the same lines as the miniature giraffes!!

Pure bsflag bsflag bsflag bsflag bsflag, the old smelly/sstinky/watery kind.

Yes, that is why the parents and the kid were featured on the Today Show discussing what took place. No photoshopping involved.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If ya say so :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why does it not surprise me as to who Jools really is. Decide to come out of the closet so to speak.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jolouburn:

Is that Mr. or Mrs. Burn making that idiot comment?

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Perhaps.

There is/was a place near west Palm Beach that is a wild life exhibit. It is quite a few acres. There are lots of lions. I have seen those lions trying to get at little kids through the fence not unlike the video.

Sorry Larry, but that's why the Internet is such a good source of information (sarcasim) ... Here's the newspaper article from my home town, Colorado Springs, about it happening at our local zoo (Cheyenne Mountain Zoo).

http://www.gazette.com/article...-tries-cheyenne.html

Regards,

Chuck