THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Leupold Illuminated Ret. Scopes on Safari?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold Illuminated Ret. Scopes on Safari?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brad aka Pill Shooter
posted
Has anyone used a Leupold 1.5-5x Illuminated Ret. scope on a 458 Lott or bigger? If so did you have any problems? I keep thinking this might be a good idea for my DGR if they can handle the recoil. I have a RSM 416 Rigby,458Lott & 500 Jeffery that are in need of some optics. I like the aimpoint idea but see the benefits to a little maginification sometimes also. Are there any issues using these in country?

Thanks Brad

dancing

Posts: 619 | Location: Sherwood, Oregon USA | Registered: 07 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Yes. Have them on both my .416Rem and .458Lott. I really like the circle-dot reticle as it is very fast. Have them mounted in Leupold QRs and have never had a problem. Just be sure the switch is off when putting the rifle in your gun bag and remove the batteries prior to travel in airplanes and when storing your rifles between hunts. Also carry spare batteries.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Dittos on carrying spare batteries. Nothing will piss you off like turning the light switch on and finding out it is already on and has been since you left the leopard blind, last year.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1245 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Brad have one on my light rifle a 375H&H.. I do not turn it on unless in early morning and at dusk... If yu get in subdued light turn on... But I personally do not like the 1.5-5X unless is has a 30MM objective lens...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use one all the time on my lightweight 9,3...works very well.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Retreever, just a quick question. I've heard that the 30mm scopes from Leupold only give you more adjustment range and not more field of view, etc. Is this true? Looked at Leupold and saw that all 1.5-5x tubes were 30mm and had 20mm lenses.
Max

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold has always worked well. I have a Trijicon with amber post now and feel it's the best of all Worlds for illuminated optics. No batteries, no on/off switch, clear optics, good eye relief, good field of view, adjustments return to zero etc. I won't trust battery powered scopes anymore, no need too.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have two illuminated Leupolds, the 3.5X10 on my .375 (which I used to shoot my Leopard last year) and the 1.5X5 on my .458 Lott. Both are 30 mm tubes. Great scopes and like Retreever, I don't turn them on unless I need to. Carry spare batteries, as has already been advised.