THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Poll: How many of you have contracted a disease or parasite from hunting in Africa?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll: How many of you have contracted a disease or parasite from hunting in Africa?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RAC
posted
Lot of talk on the other thread about getting some sort of bug or disease while or after hunting. My wife and myself developed tick fever in 2006. It took around two weeks before we had the symptoms. I did remember waking up with a mild night sweat about 3-4 days into hunting. We knocked it out with doxy with no further problems.

Question:
How many of you have contracted a disease or parasite from hunting in Africa?

Choices:
Yes, resolved it with drugs.
Yes, still have some problems.
No, except for terminal safaritis.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
But I do take my shots and malaria pills

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the terminal safaritis is a mean son of a bee
keep you broke the rest of your life!-------but what the hell, i rather be broke from safaris than let government and taxes take it coffee

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yeahbutt, the taxes are costing me hunting trips!

Posts: 696 | Location: Soddy Daisy, TN USA | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not anything serious, but I did get amused at my rheumatologist, who was sitting there across his desk staring at my blood test results over his little half-reading glasses. After pondering the situation for some time, he said simply, "Where in the hell have you been?"

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Tick Fever from KZN when hunting nyala there back in '02. Nothing a little antibiotics couldn't clear up in a few days...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
The bug does not have to come from Africa. 40 years ago I was cleaning corals and got bit by something on my calf. Hurt like hell, lots of swelling, black dot in center whole calf turned black and blue. Doc said some kind of bug bite.

It went away but for the next 25 years whenever I got a cold, that spot on my calf would break out, become red, and was very sore. Each occurrence there after was less severe.

Last week my 2 year old Granddaughter "shared" a nasty cold from Georgia with me and that calf itched for 3 days. That original "bite" was 40 years ago.

Lots of bugs out there Roll Eyes

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing from Africa, but the so-called "fish and chips" that I consumed from a poorly-selected restaurant in the Frankfort airport enroute took some of the joy out of my first day or so in Africa. Thank god for those little Pepto Abysmal pills!

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tick fever in SA and a nasty internal parasite from CAR last season. 26 pounds and 28 blood cultures later they still do not know the exact bug. But it was a hell of a time killing the damned thing !

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Change of diet has caused me some distress on safari but I've learned to pack some Immodium and that take care of it. I had a small hard knot on my manhoods for about a year that I attributed to a pepper tick and a dry itchy spot on my ankle for months that I think was buffalo bean induced but generally I've been pretty healthy in Africa. Watch what you drink and eat remembering just because the locals can tolerate it does nnot mean you can.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Got bit by some kind of nasty spider the last night I was there in '08; took some good antibiotics back home to clear up.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, those numbers are pretty staggering. I feel lucky to have not contracted anything....yet.

Posts: 164 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Tick bite fever in '08. Got doxy started within 24 hrs of first symptoms, and felt normal within 48 hrs after starting those.

Comparing the horror stories to my own experience, I think getting meds started fast makes a difference.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bilharzia in Mozambique. I figure it is part of a life well lived Smiler

Posts: 88 | Location: Reno, NV | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had the typical case of diarrhea on four out of 7 trips, each case lasting about 3 days and cured with cipro. The first case, in Zim, cost me two hunting days.

I also sustained a bite or sting of unknown origin on my left foot in bed on my first trip to Namibia. I felt the burn and by the time I got my flashlight in play whatever bit me was gone. By the time I got on the plane for home, two days later, I had swelling and streaks of red up to my knee. I went directly to the doctor upon arrival back home and was given a series of antibiotics. The pain and symptoms lasted for more than a month.

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Malaria X 2
Bilharzia
Tick bite fever
Malta Fever in Caprivi. 6 weeks in Military hospital in Pretoria

Posts: 94 | Location: Chilcotin B.C. | Registered: 05 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
1 X each malaria and tick bite fever. Never had a day of problems with food or other GI related issues.

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure what I brought back from Zim. I felt fine, and noticed red swirls going up both legs. Looked like a candy cane. Went to the doc, who couldn't figure it out and conferred with the local infectious docs and Loma Linda. Put me on oral antibiotics, which didn't help and had to have IV antibiotics for a couple of weeks. Carried around a fanny pack with the meds and a little pump and timer.

Whatever it was finally decided to leave or go back to Zim. clap

Another time, after returning from Zim, about 2 weeks later, I came down with flu/malaria type symptoms. Off to the hospital for a battery of tests. It was the flu.

Cheers, PG

Posts: 153 | Location: Riverside, CA Lake Havasu, AZ | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got falcipirum malaria and fell and broke my leg and finger buts thats all in 30 trips

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
You can get by without a lot of meds but Immodium is a must.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tick bite fever Zim. 2000, both me and my wife.

Paul K

Take Trophies - Leave Brass

Posts: 756 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In ten safaris I've never been sick a day. However, upon returning home one time I discovered something buried in the back of my knee. I called the U. of Washington health travel clinic and spoke with one of the docs. He was so interested he came to my house to photograph it. Turned out to be some rare type of tick.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the mid 90's, I was hunting in Zim. The PH got sick, then the cameraman got sick. The hunt ended and I left. In Johannesburg, i got REALLY sick. When I got home, there was a fax waiting. Everyone at the camp got sick. They decided to check the water. There were 3 dead monkeys in the water reservoir . I had a parasite. It took quite a while to rid myself of this problem.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope, only three times over the pond, nothing yet. 4th time coming up in August.
I take Malarone on every trip and carry Doxy in my kit though, and had all the shots.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Six safaris to Africa (Zim, Tanz & Moz). Got tick bite fever in Zim as did
my hunting partner. Symptoms gone in 12 hours using Doxycycline. Will
always carry it with me on safari! I use Malarone for malaria prophylaxis &
so far no problems. Interesting to note that so far the poll shows around 50%
of the safari hunters have had some sort of illness?
Jim

Posts: 521 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Tick bite fever, RSA 2005. Doxy seemed to take care of it. Have had a few bouts of very similar symptoms since, but its doubtful its still lingering in the system somewhere.

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Been mosquito and tsetse bit, and picked pepper ticks off of me, so many times it's amazing that I haven't yet managed to come down with something.

I do think it's just a matter of time.

There are very good reasons that, in the time of quinine only, Africa was known as the white man's grave.

Bloody well knock wood and throw some salt! Cool

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13627 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tick bite fever in 2005 in South Africa, East Cape. Cleared up with meds after coming home.
Now I always have doxy along & will take it at first sign of possible illness.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well this one time at the hotel del rey in costa rica...... never mind, you guys said africa....

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Four trips over so far, and never a problem. Next trip to RSA in July so am current on shots, will take Malarone, and have Doxy along in case. Immodium seems to work the best for me for digestive upsets.

One trip to the hospital in Namibia when I sliced my face and eye open, but a little repair work and super glue let me finish out the trip with only one day lost.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are ticks/bites more prevalent in the African Summer or Winter months? Making my first trip over in May.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Three trips, (two Zim, one SA) no problems for me, my buddy got tick bite fever in SA. He didn't get on it right away and left him with lasting problems.
Armbar.

Posts: 169 | Location: So Cal, ....USA | Registered: 25 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
By the sounds of things, the bugs are just waiting to ambush visitors. Eeker I live here and have only been nailed by the "galloping heebies" after eating suspect curry or some such foods. The pimple / boil type things, those with black centres, knock the top off, apply some TCP then cover with Bactroban. tu2

JGRaider; winter time is best for "pepper ticks", the larval stage, hundreds of tiny little bastards, each one capable of making you remove your skin with your finger nails, scrubbing brushes, etc. The itching really gets under way a day or so afterwards and intensifies when ever you warm up, in the bath or shower and as you fall asleep in bed. They are normally picked up in sheltered spots, under trees or bush where they would be protected from frosts etc. Cool

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
12 safaris (6 Namibia, 6 to Zim) No problems, no parasites. But took malaria pills. (Malarone)
Cheers, Hans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I caught a 120 pound brunette parasite while hunting in Arkansas. It took 7 years of suffering and a good lawyer to get rid of. Yes, I was a slow learner.

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tick bite fever in South Africa a number of years ago and then a very bad case of Salmonella last year in Moz. Had to fly out early in Moz I was so dehydrated and disoriented. IV and Antibiotics at a private clinic in Beira fixed me up and I was back on my feet in a couple days. Not fun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I contracted Dingue Fever in Limpopo in2006. The symptoms didn't apear till I got home. Was pretty sick for about 10 days, but it ran it's course and everything is fine now.
Happily the only medicine for Safaritis is to return to Africa for my inocculation. When I'm home I find a shot of Amarula helps.

Bob

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by timg953:
I caught a 120 pound brunette parasite while hunting in Arkansas. It took 7 years of suffering and a good lawyer to get rid of. Yes, I was a slow learner.

She was punching out of her division, or was it a catch-weight fight? Roll Eyes dancing

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Caught a water borne bug in Zimbabwe in a supposedly safe area, that kept me sick, off and on, for nearly a year. Finally went to the Dr. and he gave me a pill that killed everything crawling around inside. Big Grin