Find
Notify
Tools

DSC needs your support -
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted
if every member encourages just one friend to join , DSC double their numbers !!!

you have seen from the multiple threads here about how great they are that they truly are "the real deal"

heres something we put together this year feel free to use it to shamelessely promote the worlds best organization of its kind ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...mEI&feature=youtu.be

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I joined as a life member some time ago using the plan wereby 1/12 of the fee was deducted from my bank account each month. Painless!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ivan carter:
if every member encourages just one friend to join , DSC double their numbers !!!

you have seen from the multiple threads here about how great they are that they truly are "the real deal"

heres something we put together this year feel free to use it to shamelessely promote the worlds best organization of its kind ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...mEI&feature=youtu.be

Ivan: I'm on board and will definitely use the promotional video to spread the word. Thanks for sharing.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TwoZero
posted Hide Post
I would find groups like (DSC, SCI, NRA) more approachable If they would have more transparency, and I could see exactly where the money is going (how much, to who, and what it's for.) with a few clicks of the mouse on their website.

On The DSC website all I see is this:

quote:
\
Projects to receive DSC funding this year include new research on lions and lion hunting in Africa, conservation efforts for Siberian snow tigers, and study of wolf interactions with elk in New Mexico. There is continuing work for polar bears, white-tailed deer and bobwhite quail. Education and hunter advocacy efforts in Zambia, British Columbia, South Africa, Wyoming, Tanzania, Alaska, Montana and Washington D.C. also will receive DSC funding.

More than $67,000 in DSC grants will support homegrown Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept. initiatives such as desert bighorn sheep restoration, Operation Game Thief and other law enforcement programs, Hunters For The Hungry, hunter education courses and more.

Finally, funding also will support DSC’s own mission delivery programs, such as the Dallas Ecological Foundation’s popular Outdoor Adventures program, which is expanding conservation curriculum in Texas schools.

DSC’s total funding commitment for 2012 is $1,002,411.

A great sound bite, but aside from 67K, exactly how is that million dollars being disbursed? And who decides who gets what?

A simple list of the various projects along with how much they are getting would be a good start.

And each project should have a little tab one could click to see the details of what is being done with the money.

It would also be nice to have a way to individually donate more to specific projects on the list that may inspire a personal interest.

Naturally I would also like to see a accounting of how much $$ was brought in overall - how much went to overhead and administrative costs and how much to pure conservation.

Now maybe I'm wrong and all such info is visible to paying members. But I looked on the DSC member application form and it doesn't say so.

But those in the know feel free to correct me by all means.

I would just like to know exactly where the money is going - and not just feel good about myself because I belong to "ABC" organisation and I am "doing something" about conservation.

The internet is not the best medium to convey tone, so I don't want people to take my comments as being overly critical of an organisation I have heard nothing but good about.

I would personally just need to know more specifics.

Posts: 270 | Location: Bay Area, CA | Registered: 19 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Ivan,
I joined at this year's event. Now to get at LEAST one friend to join.
mAX

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Ivan:
It was a pleasure meeting you and discussing the mighty .600. You certainly do have a nice rifle and someday I hope to show you my old Wilkes .600.
Enjoy the book.
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
great to catch up cal, i am so sorry i was so busy it would have been nice to spend a lot more time ...
i would love to see your 600 someday !
thanks for signing the book ,payment has been sent !

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote