Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Semiliki Sam
 Login/Join

posted
My hero when I was six and lived in Fort Portal was Semliki Sam. I was at University and taking an anthropology course on African tribes and the lecturer mentioned his name, adding "If he truly lived", I piped up, with glee, that he was my hero. Semliki Sam was hired by Tufmac Fisheries as a crocodile hunter. Nobody knew where he came from he was just one of those people who appeared in Africa. He was a short blonde haired man of about 25 and he drove a battered old short wheel base Landrover that my father said had no springs. Sam was always smiling and loved children but because he lived and worked on the Semliki River and on Lake Albert, he had gone native. He drowned in the Semliki River when it was in flood and his boat was overturned by a hippo. Nobody knew he couldn't swim and life jackets were not a requirement. My father had to go looking for the body and that was an ordeal which nearly cost him his life. Semliki Sam's body was found by the natives and because they had adopted him they gave him a burial where the river enters Lake Albert.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
karamojoman,
Keep the stories coming.
Best regards,
Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great stories, thanks.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote