Tools

SCI What do you think it should be?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Life Member DSC

Never joined SCI

and thats the way I like it----

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK Saeed - for the seventh time... SCI member exhibitor places are allocated by a (publicly published) cumulative points system. Points are earned by a) expenditure at conventions, b) donations, c) other expenditure and contributions to SCI activities (eg. print advertising etc). So by this method long-time supporters are given preference over newer exhibitors. The company with greatest number of earned points gets first selection of booth space (they are also allocated a certain number of booths) and then down the list they work.... you CANNOT jump the queue by calling on your SCI 'mates' or giving backhanders. The booths are also split into premium (more expensive) booths and cheaper booths by position...

Yes - a 'potential' exhibitor must (mnost likely) donate something to get in the queue - because they must have some points to actually be in the queue for booth space.

That is my understanding and if I am incorrect on any of this - please, someone chime in...

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
So "donations" are not backhanders?

You could have fooled me.

And what a misnomer!

"Donations" means one gives by his own free will.

"Donations" SCI style is called BLACKMAIL!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67724 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I'd bet a pound to a pinch of the smelly stuff that a brand new company could waltz into the best location in the entire show just by paying the bill & plonking down a big enough donation.

It's exactly the same scenario as Churchill & the socialite:

“Churchill: "Madam, would you sleep with me for five million pounds?" Socialite: "My goodness, Mr. Churchill... Well, I suppose... we would have to discuss terms, of course... "

Churchill: "Would you sleep with me for five pounds?"

Socialite: "Mr. Churchill, what kind of woman do you think I am?!"

Churchill: "Madam, we've already established that. Now we are haggling about the price”

jumping

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
I'd bet a pound to a pinch of the smelly stuff that a brand new company could waltz into the best location in the entire show just by paying the bill & plonking down a big enough donation.

It's exactly the same scenario as Churchill & the socialite:

“Churchill: "Madam, would you sleep with me for five million pounds?" Socialite: "My goodness, Mr. Churchill... Well, I suppose... we would have to discuss terms, of course... "

Churchill: "Would you sleep with me for five pounds?"

Socialite: "Mr. Churchill, what kind of woman do you think I am?!"

Churchill: "Madam, we've already established that. Now we are haggling about the price”

jumping

Steve,

Pleaser do not insult the socialite by comparing her to SCI clap

Posts: 67724 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Steve,

I guess there'd be more chance of getting answers & accounts from one of her type than from SCI! animal

I can almost hear the cheerleaders gnashing their teeth in frustrated fury from here! rotflmo

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Steve,

I guess there'd be more chance of getting answers & accounts from one of her type than from SCI! animal

I can almost hear the cheerleaders gnashing their teeth in frustrated fury from here! rotflmo

Have you also noticed the total absence of some of SCI cheerleaders in these latest discussions?

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:

Have you also noticed the total absence of some of SCI cheerleaders in these latest discussions?

Perhaps they're running out of excuses & ways to change the subject....... It's impossible to defend the indefensible forever. Wink

Then again. Perhaps they're regrouping for another assault on the walls of justice and logic!

jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve:

Just wait for a pathetic answer from one of them!

Oh by the way Bro, you can't be serious in trying to compare transparency between FM and SCI.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:
Steve:

Oh by the way Bro, you can't be serious in trying to compare transparency between FM and SCI.

Not comparing them as in like for like mate...... just pointing out that if UGLE can publish easily understandable figures of every penny of the UKP100M+ they've donated over the last 30 odd years, it should be pretty easy for SCI to publish the value of the hunts donated, the amount raised by their being auctioned, what happens to that money and more especially, what happened to the US$1M SCI claimed a year ago to have raised for lion conservation & that the cheerleaders and sheeple were so proudly crowing about.

To me, that should be pretty easy but apparently not! Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

You would be dead wrong. The 'queue' and selection process is available online for everyone to view, via CAD program. There is no way for a company to jump the queue, or some new company to come in... without everyone seeing that that happened..

'Donation' - who cares, whatever they want to call it....

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
quote:

You would be dead wrong. The 'queue' and selection process is available online for everyone to view, via CAD program. There is no way for a company to jump the queue, or some new company to come in... without everyone seeing that that happened..

I don't think so Matt. The 'donation' scheme itself & recent (alleged Smiler)events suggest they can be bought & if they can be bought once, they can be bought twice so as Churchill pointed out, it's just a matter of haggling about the price.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I don't think so Matt. The 'donation' scheme itself & recent (alleged Smiler)events suggest they can be bought & if they can be bought once, they can be bought twice so as Churchill pointed out, it's just a matter of haggling about the price.
Who cares what you 'think' - I am telling you how it IS with the booth allocations.

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
]Who cares what you 'think' - I am telling you how it IS with the booth allocations.

Is that the Aussie version of a logical, well reasoned debate Matt?

You're almost getting back to bashing me up in the playground with that one!

animal rotflmo jumping jumping rotflmo animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
""""Originally posted by fujotupu:
Steve:

Oh by the way Bro, you can't be serious in trying to compare transparency between FM and SCI.""""

quote:
Who cares what you 'think' - I am telling you how it IS with the booth allocations.

You're almost getting back to bashing me up in the playground with that one! [/QUOTE]

Steve:

Didn't have to wait too long did you? rotflmo

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fujotupu:

Didn't have to wait too long did you? rotflmo

You're right there my friend! animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
]Who cares what you 'think' - I am telling you how it IS with the booth allocations.

You're almost getting back to bashing me up in the playground with that one!

animal rotflmo jumping jumping rotflmo animal
There is no debate from your point of view... you tell lies and create your own version of reality.

I am telling you how it is because I actually do it every year, as an exhibitor. YOU are nothing in this, you are not even a member... you are completely clueless and resort to calling people names to prop-up your piss-poor 'debating style'. Pathetic...

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt - There is no need to present FACTS & FIGURES to these twits (and yes I am calling you names) accurate ones I might add. These are simple numbskull, no nothings, without a clue on SCI, or how it works. They simply stir the pot from afar with no intent to ever do anything constructive. It is a simple show of ignorance on their part, but they are so into themselves they can't see it. If they were really interested in SCI, what it is doing, what it has done, the would be active members working towards a solution. We have a name for these kind of folks out West here, but since this is a Public Forum, won't be so rude as to use it.

I for one am finished with these idiots, and will let them continue drowning in their own swill. They probably deserve much more but swill is good enough for now.

Have fun talking to yourselves, because no body else is really buying into your crap!! moon

Larry Sellers
SCI(International) Life Member
Sabatti 'trash' Shooter
R8 Blaser
DRSS

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of oakman
posted Hide Post
Matt is right , the exhibitors are on a point system and once you are in, your in. It's the same way over at DSC. I have been trying to get in to both shows for a few years now. DSC has a waiting list, I signed up somewhere in the 3oo's but I now hear it's as high as 700+. As for SCI , they are picky about who they let in .Goes in front of a board and they do the picking( they really need new people on that panel) If you are a outfitter giving away a hunt, I swear you are in but if you are a taxidermist, Boyce has the market cornered with all the lifesized elephants, etc. Don't get me wrong for they do a great job on the taxidermy mounts, it's just have SCI let some new blood in and see what can happen. If they don't do good at the show, then the free market steps in and they will not be back.
I have donated thousands worth in work but no luck yet, so it's time to work a different angle and within the next 3 months, new applicants will be applying again and will find out in June , yes or no.
The main reason I and others want to get in to the show is that everyone that walks in has to pay a minimum of 130.00+ per day so you are looking at a different type of clientele that is open minded, like to hunt/ fish/ etc and will spend money on what they and family loves to do.
It's all very frustrating ... killpc

life member of SCI
life member of NRA
NTA
Master Scorer SCI
Scorer for Rowland Ward

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

Posts: 241 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 01 September 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
they are picky about who they let in

You might be right.

But, this system tend to be bent a little if you are a criminal organization that employees the SCI boss.

Remember Out of Africa?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oakman:
Matt is right , the exhibitors are on a point system and once you are in, your in. It's the same way over at DSC. I have been trying to get in to both shows for a few years now. DSC has a waiting list, I signed up somewhere in the 3oo's but I now hear it's as high as 700+. As for SCI , they are picky about who they let in .Goes in front of a board and they do the picking( they really need new people on that panel) If you are a outfitter giving away a hunt, I swear you are in but if you are a taxidermist, Boyce has the market cornered with all the lifesized elephants, etc. Don't get me wrong for they do a great job on the taxidermy mounts, it's just have SCI let some new blood in and see what can happen. If they don't do good at the show, then the free market steps in and they will not be back.
I have donated thousands worth in work but no luck yet, so it's time to work a different angle and within the next 3 months, new applicants will be applying again and will find out in June , yes or no.
The main reason I and others want to get in to the show is that everyone that walks in has to pay a minimum of 130.00+ per day so you are looking at a different type of clientele that is open minded, like to hunt/ fish/ etc and will spend money on what they and family loves to do.
It's all very frustrating ... killpc
I dont know at all what it is like for those of you on the waiting list - but I believe the waiting list was one of the major factors (expansion) in them moving to vegas. Hopefully it gets easier in the future. I think it is a good idea to stay in regular touch with the organisers and let them know how serious you are in getting in - and not happy about just hanging on the list.

One thing I will say about Animal Artistry - and Mike Boyse told me this himself a couple weeks ago. That whole deal he has with the displays at SCI is a two-way deal but one that costs him a LOT of money. Yes he gets good exposure but then the convention gets an incredible display. When it was at Reno it was a no-brainer but now at Vegas its a whole different deal. Mike sent six semi-trailers of items down there and back - at his own enourmous cost. He gave me the figure which I wont divulge but it was a small fortune to put on that display. I sure hope he got some new clients out of it!!

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV