Find
Notify
Tools

tell me about boot gaiters
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted
I have no use for them in the USA but see lots of people use them in Africa.

What do they do and who sells them?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Keeps seeds, dirt, sand, critters, etc... out of your boots/shoes in Africa

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of shoulderman
posted Hide Post
works great in africa and australia, used them stalking wild pigs here in states as well. Texas Hunt Co, makes a great pair for about 25 bucks

Kodiak 2022
Namibia 2019
Namibia 2018
South Africa 2017
Alaska Brown Bear 2016
South Africa, 2016
Zimbabwe 2014
South Africa 2013
Australia 2011
Alberta 2009
Namibia 2007
Alberta 2006

Posts: 236 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 17 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
they get sprayed with permathun (sp) then then keep jiggers,ticks etc at bay. boyds canvas one work great and if iremember right are about $25

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Much more important if you hunt in shorts.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marty - guess you are not doing much in shorts up your way this Winter, huh? I live in the mountains in New Mexico and it gets cold, but you guys have had it brutal. Is there such a thing as "full length" gaiter??

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
Sabatti 'trash' Shooter
R8 Blaser
DRSS

quote:
Originally posted by Marty:
Much more important if you hunt in shorts.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Ted - I have used them quite a bit while hunting in Missouri. But who am I to say they work good in Missouri when you have no use for them and live there. Guess I wore them for nothing, should have checked with you first!! Roll Eyes

As mentioned above they did keep out dirt, sand, seeds and critters when in the field in Missouri. Who would have thought?

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
Sabatti 'trash' Shooter
R8 Blaser
DRSS

"should have checked with you first".......nice

Boy after yestetday's PM I received from you I'd gather you might be a bit of an ass

Lace up boots and long pants are the 99.999% rule in the show-me state but wtf do I know

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I pack two pair of Boyt gaiters on every safari. If one gets muddy, or I loose one, I have a spare.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.

I have all the input needed.

The best and most informative answers are appreciated greatly.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Those from Courteney are the best looking (in my opinion) as they are made from skins but they tie at the top and don't seal out the seeds very well. Last June in Harare I picked up two pair at Feredays that are canvas and elastic at the top. Low priced and do the job very well.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I didn't send you a PM

I replied to your PM

I'll be alright without you.... beer

good day

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tag safari sells a good set. I have used them the last few years.

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Marty - guess you are not doing much in shorts up your way this Winter, huh? I live in the mountains in New Mexico and it gets cold, but you guys have had it brutal. Is there such a thing as "full length" gaiter??

Larry Sellers

The Kiwis use knee length gaitors. Here in SA I use the leather ones made by Rogue. They have elastic tops and are fastened at the back with studs and Velcro. Cool

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Like these ?

http://www.huntech.co.nz/EssentialsHats.html

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4471 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have some leather ankle high gaitors that I use in Africa every trip, The soft leather is quiet and I am a bow hunter so that is very important. I never wear them here in the states but in Africa where I have been there are these little grass burs,thorns, seeds that get in your socks and almost impossible to pick out so every time you wear them the itching and chaffing gets worst. Plenty of different brands out there,,, I wear them even when hunting with long pants to help keep the socks wearable,,

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Full length gaiters are called waders. If you need those, you are fishing or hunting in Alaska.

I use gaiters most of the time hunting. My favorite boots are short and grass seeds somehow have a magnetic ability to get to my socks. I have fleece ones for early season elk, and a heavy pair by OR for snowy conditions. Soft leather would be nice, but I haven't seen any like that.

I got the Boyt ones for my wife and I to use in Namibia this July.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just removed a pair of gaiters, having walked in the door from coyote hunting only 10 minutes or so ago. They are indispensable in the winter around here. Our snow is up to my crotch, and when I am snowshoeing...and especially when I am thrashing around in the snow after falling down!...gaiters are great to keep the snow out of your boots. They go from my instep all the way up to my knees...are those full-length? Smiler

I also wore the little Boyt gaiter-ettes in Africa. They seemed to work...I had no problems with anything getting into my shoes...but they got the wheels turning in my head. I now wear them, thoroughly soaked with Permethrin, for cutting the grass or other yardwork in the summer. We have some serious tick populations during the warm weather, and the insecticide-treated Boyts are the answer! I have considered also shaving my legs, the better to feel the odd tick that makes it up past the gaiters...but I haven't taken that step yet. Smiler

So what's up with Missouri...no snow? No ticks? Is the entire state paved?

Gaiters: they're not just for Africa anymore!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Not much snow.....and OFF deep woods formula stops ticks and chiggers

I have never seen a hunter anywhere in my life other than TV, magazines and the Internet wearing gaiters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Larry, sounds like the exact opposite of our situation. We have had much more snow than usual for the area, but the temperatures are only a bit lower than typical. As usual, our first snowflake fell in October...and the little sucker will still be sitting there in May! Smiler

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ted - I have used them quite a bit while hunting in Missouri. But who am I to say they work good in Missouri when you have no use for them and live there. Guess I wore them for nothing, should have checked with you first!! Roll Eyes

As mentioned above they did keep out dirt, sand, seeds and critters when in the field in Missouri. Who would have thought?

I believe these are your words of sarcasm

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ted - You must live a very sheltered life there in MO. Have you ever been more than 50 miles from home? Wink Before you go off on me again, just having a little fun, that's all.

Lots of gaiter wearers out West here where I live and hunt. Actually I wore gaiters on the AR Antelope Hunt in Wyoming last year when hunting with jwm above.

Some more sarcasm....you are proving yourself

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always poo-pooed the advantages and refused to wear them until this last year -- after all, I don't hunt in shorts. I wore a borrowed pair this year and will never hunt in Africa without them again for all of the reasons stated above.

TAG sells a nice pair of inexpensive canvas gaiters. And their Houston store is right up the road from me.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote