THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    T.R.'s 500/450 Holland and Holland Royal Double Rifle

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

T.R.'s 500/450 Holland and Holland Royal Double Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted
I just had the chance this last weekend to visit the Frazier Historical Firearms Museum in Louisville, Kentucky, and was privileged to view Teddy Roosevelt's Holland and Holland 500/450 Royal Double Rifle on display there, along with other T.R. mementos. If you have a chance to visit the area check it out. Frazier's is also the designated U.S. satellite museum for the British Royal Armouries, and they have a big display about the British in Africa and the British campaign in Southern Africa as well. In addition, it is full of other vintage and famous firearms. Here's a picture of the T.R. Holland and Holland display:

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this a permanent exhibit?

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, as far as I understand it, the museum permanently owns T.R.'s Holland and Holland double rifle. It's a great firearms museum to visit, and it's right across the street from the Hillerich & Bradsby Louisville Slugger museum and professional baseball bat factory.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
It's good to see such a historical firearm on public display.

Is that TR's 1895 Winchester, too?

Thanks for posting this. tu2

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's not his, but one that I believe he had given to someone as a gift. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's another close up picture of T.R.'s Holland and Holland 500/450 Royal Double Rifle

One of Us
posted Hide Post
beautiful gun....but Teddy could not shoot worth shit.

Posts: 405 | Location: Dallas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Did not shoot that 500/450 but got to shoot another H&H although.
If I remember correctly wasn't Teddy's double a 500 H&H?

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike: Teddy's Holland and Holland Royal Double Rifle was a 500/450. From the book: "Selections From The Frazier Historical Arms Museum" by Walter J. Karcheski,Jr., it reads in part: ". . .this double-barreled rifle is arguably the best-known weapon made by the company." Going on, Mr. Karcheski further states: "This was the most powerful gun ever owned by one of history's most famous sportsmen, Theodore Roosevelt. In 1908 Roosevelt considered going on safari to Africa with his son Kermit after he left office. Following a dinner with famed explorer Carl Ackley, Roosevelt became increasingly obsessed with the idea. To quell some negative publicity raised by the planned trip, the Smithsonian emphasized its scientific goals, and included two naturalists in the party. The huge undertaking thus became a combined safari/vacation/scientific expedition that would cost some $75,000, part of which was underwritten by steel magnate Andrew Carnagie, with other expenses to be offset by income that Roosevelt was to receive from Scribner's Magazine for his exclusive accounts." Continuing on, Karcheski quotes, in part, from Roosevelt as he says: "Roosevelt wrote to Kermit 'I think I shall get a double-barreled .450 cordite. . .It is no child's play going after lion, elephant, rhino and buffalo.' Perhaps acting on this knowledge, the rifle was built in 1908, and in January 1909 Edward North Buxton, a personal friend of Roosevelt and a well-known hunter, together with 55 outstanding British zoologists and hunting enthusiasts, presented it to Roosevelt. In a note of thanks to Buxton, Roosevelt called the rifle 'a hard-hitting double barreled English gun,' and 'a perfect beauty'. . . Kermit Roosevelt recalled 'it shoots very accurately, but of course the recoil is tremendous...so severe that it became a standing joke as to whether we did not fear it more than a charging elephant!'" Karcheski then states: "This monster of a rifle has acquired the modern, unofficial nickname of 'The Big Stick', from Roosevelt's famous quotation 'speak softly and carry a big stick,' itself derived from a West African proverb."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike: See T.R.'s reference to the 500/450 at page 28 of "African Game Trails". Among some of more recognizable donors of this double rifle were: F.C. Selous and Col J.H. Patterson. The rifle was presented to T.R. at the White House while he was still President. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This rifle was also prominently featured in the great and now classic African safari film, "In The Blood."

Given TR's stature, I have to wonder about the length of pull.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would suppose that a number of his 55 friends, including Edward North Buxton, would have provided Holland and Holland with his measurements in order to have the double rifle properly built to fit him. After all, it was personally made for the President of the United States, but who knows? As I understand it, T.R. was about 5 feet ten inches tall and weighed around 220 pounds. Not sure on his length of reach. He also lifted weights and did gymnastics daily and was schooled in wrestling, boxing, judo, horseback riding, swimming, and hiking. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I thought I saw one of TR's rifles at the NRA museum? Thought it was a doubel too but it;s been a while. Any of the Fairfax Co. va folks elucidate this??

one of us
posted Hide Post
Didn't Teddy say " i'm not a good shot, but I shoot often"....... Big Grin

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might it have been Kermit's .450 double or Teddy's .405 Winchester? Or maybe his FN semi-auto .32 caliber Presidential pistol that he kept by his bedside in the White House, as pictured here from the NRA Museum? Yes, he admits to being a poor shot!

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
as far as my memory serves it was a double and I 'thought' it was the one in AGT. But alas, I was just a lad when i saw it so dunno. Tried to look it up online but surprised to not see many pics of the museum.

Kick-ass FN though; what wouldn't give for a president who kept a pop-gun in the bedside table...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
By the way, Sports Afield's latest magazine has a small article about T.R.'s Double Rifle and references the Frazier International Arms Museum. Two great pics of the double rifle are in the article. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the best information we have re: TR's height put him at 5'8" tall. Height information on certain famous people is about as suspect as height information on college and professional basketball players.

I would like to see that double rifle up close, but Louisville is a long way to go for that privilege alone.

Mike