THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    New Model 70 Winchester Safari Grade Review. Anyone have one yet?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Model 70 Winchester Safari Grade Review. Anyone have one yet?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DUKE NUKEM
posted
New Model 70 Winchester Safari Grade Review. Anyone have one yet?
Are they any good?
TIA,
Duke

Posts: 1073 | Registered: 10 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 375 H&H. Mine, and the others I have seen, are great looking rifles, fit and finish are just fine. Very accurate, the new triggers are very good.

Two of the same faults as the old M70 Safaris have carried over to the new ones. The same barrel profile is used for all three calibers.
The 375's are plenty hefty, the 416's are a little lighter, and the 458's (when they get released) will be just right. The front sight is easily replaced with an NEC banded front sight for a better looking and much more durable unit. The factory rear sight works just fine with a new NEC banded front sight.

If the hot glue "bedding" for the recoil lug really bothers someone it is easily re-worked.

Hope this helps Wink

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My .375 placed three shots touching at 50 yards with the iron sights. For some reason the stock hit my cheek pretty hard when shooting from the Caldwell Leadsled. Not so bad from the sticks. I bought a Leupold 1.5 to 5 and Warn quick detach rings. I have not been able to find the bases. It requires .330 rear hole spacing and nobody has them.
I'm very pleased with the rifle so far. It looks good and functions smoothly. I'm planning another cape buffalo hunt next year and I believe this new Model 70 will go with me.

Posts: 84 | Location: southern california | Registered: 16 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I have a .416, still in the box. I got it for an even $1000, if someone here wants it for that, let me know, and I will be happy to pass it on...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DUKE NUKEM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:
I have a .416, still in the box. I got it for an even $1000, if someone here wants it for that, let me know, and I will be happy to pass it on...

PM sent for pics.

one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
I have one in .375 and I've shot a few others. They have all shot very, very well. I spoke to the guys at Hill Country Rifles and they say all the FN-built guns they're getting in shoot great.

Greg Rodriguez
Global Adventure Outfitters, Inc.
www.GAOHunts.com
(281) 494-4151

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I received my new m70 in .375hh in June after ordering right after SHOT show - liked it then and really like it now:

-excellent trigger
-better wood than I expected (but definitely field grade - better than the Shot Show demo)
-shoots 1" @100 yds with factory Federal Premium 300 TBBC's (off sticks, better off BR if I do my part)
- good finish and definitely "stout"

Using Leupold 1.5x5 on top with the leupy qd's -have not shot open sights

So far, really great value for the price which I recall was just under $1k (w/o scope of course).

Good field gun/shooter and at that price not worried about getting dings....... taking to Africa 2011.

Only about 35 rounds shot so far so will update if something changes........

best regards, mark

Posts: 37 | Location: western usa | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
If they'd only make them in left handed.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:

I'll second that.. I would buy a new one in 416 as fast as I could hand the money over.

BS, isn't it...

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I'm ordering a new one in .300 WSM to have customized by LeRoy Barry at Canyon Creek Custom Gunstocks in Darby, Montana. Can't wait! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
R G Howard
quote:
For some reason the stock hit my cheek pretty hard when shooting from the Caldwell Leadsled.

How much lead are you using on your sled? I tried one and threw it away. I figure it is way to hard on the gun. If you use too much lead the sled doesn't give and the energy has nowhere to go but up in to your cheek.

LeRoy Barry does awesome work UEG! Thanks to you and Ryan for suggesting that I use LeRoy on my RSM .458 Lott that rifle is supper accurate and beautiful.

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiousity,if someone has a new or old 458,can you tell me how many lands does the bore have? I checked their sight and didn't see it listed there.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:

I managed to pick up one of the last ones they made in LH.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DUKE NUKEM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Just out of curiousity,if someone has a new or old 458,can you tell me how many lands does the bore have? I checked their sight and didn't see it listed there.

The .458 is now in my hands. Along with the .375 and .416.
I can barely see at all so know idea on the lands and grooves.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jorge400:
quote:

I managed to pick up one of the last ones they made in LH.

Yeah, me, too. It's been a winner all the way.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got the .416 and the .300 super grade. Both are outstanding.

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
How much lead are you using on your sled? I tried one and threw it away. I figure it is way to hard on the gun.

You'd prefer to expend that energy into your body, detachable retina and all?

Posts: 358 | Registered: 15 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use two 25 lbs bags of shot on my lead sled and it still pushes it a little bit on the concrete bench. I still love the Lead Sled. They really are a great idea and help remove that human variable when working with handloads and high-recoil rifles.

Posts: 245 | Location: The Show Me State | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I use 25 lbs with my 500 Jeffery shooting 570g TSX's at 2410 fps. It certainly helps a bunch, but the recoil does knock off my ear protection with each shot lol ... My shooting companions find this hilarioius ...

Smiler

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4781 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If any one has one I would like to know if it feeds the Barnes banded solid.On one side I hear that they are nearly impossible to get to feed and on the other I hear that Winchesters feed them without issues.Does Winchester have a secret? Are we being misled? I've brought this up before on AR and no one responded or seemed interested.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wismon:
quote:
How much lead are you using on your sled? I tried one and threw it away. I figure it is way to hard on the gun.

You'd prefer to expend that energy into your body, detachable retina and all?

On the big guns, I use 100 lbs. No problems so far.

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Winchester Model 70 .325 WSM feeds Barnes Banded Solids without any problem. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
My Winchester Model 70 .325 WSM feeds Barnes Banded Solids without any problem. Big Grin
I didn't know they made the for that caliber.I wonder why you would need them in a 325?

one of us
Picture of Alan Bunn
posted Hide Post
Shootaway,

The Safari Express is only available in .375 H&H, 416 RemMag, & 458 WinMag. Here is a link to the product page for the Safari Express:

Winchester Model 70 Safari Express

However, the Sporter, the Coyote Light, the Ultimate Shadow, the Featherweight, and the Extreme Weather SS are all made in 325 WSM.

Here is a link to the product page for all the various Model 70's:

Winchester Model 70 product page

I love looking at all these different variations of one of my favorite rifles. I'd love to have one of each in different calibers.

Cheers,

~ Alan

Life Member NRA
Life Member SCI

email: editorusa(@)africanxmag(dot)com

African Expedition Magazine: http://www.africanxmag.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/alan.p.bunn

Twitter: http://twitter.com/EditorUSA

Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. ~Keller

To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; to be credible we must be truthful. ~ Murrow

Posts: 1112 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alan Bunn
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Yeah, those are the only ones I really care about too.

Cheers,

~ Alan

Life Member NRA
Life Member SCI

Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. ~Keller

To be persuasive we must be believable; to be believable we must be credible; to be credible we must be truthful. ~ Murrow

one of us
posted Hide Post
Alan,what I meant to say above was that I didn't think they made Barnes banded solids for the 325.I know they make Winchesters for various calibers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Barnes Banded Solids specifically custom loaded by John LaSala for my .325 WSM from Safari Arms, Ltd located in New York, for shooting some of the smaller stuff with solids so as not to blow them to smithereens. Big Grin Does that answer the question sufficiently? Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Alan Bunn
posted Hide Post
Sorry, man! I thought you were asking about the Safari Express in 325 WSM.

Now that I have read it more closely, it is obvious what you meant. It is no wonder that long and involved posts are sometimes misunderstood on the Internet.

Hell, I can't even understand a single sentence.

homer

Cheers,

~ Alan

Life Member NRA
Life Member SCI

One of Us
Picture of DUKE NUKEM
posted Hide Post
Here's all three starting from the top.
.458 Winchester Magnum Leupold 1.5-5X Lighted Circle Dot 30MM
.416 Remington Magnum Leupold 3X9 European Duplex 30MM
.375 H&H Magnum 3X9 European Duplex 30MM
.270 Winchester 3X9 VariX II Duplex 1 inch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Somewhat off topic, but not really, well kinda...

Some years ago, Winchester made a Safari type 375 H&H and 458 Winmag with a drop box magazine.. For the life of me I cannot recall the model name.. Kinda like to keep an eye out for one.. maybe..

Thanks all..

MopaneMike

Posts: 1112 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote