New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser Type A Rifle Info
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking for any information about the Type a Mausers.

Any books, articles or web links, I might get with specs and information.
Or if anyone has any details to share. I would like what ever I can get.

Especially interested in rifles chambered in 404 Jeffery/10.75x73 and 9.3x62.

I am trying to find out some of the barrel dimensions such as barrel length and muzzle diameter and any barrel contour information I can get.
Also any specific stock characteristics.

Bob, would be so kind as to share some specs of Osa's rifle?
I sure enjoyed the wonderful pictures of Osa's rifle you posted.

My wife wants hers to have the same look and be as period correct as reasonably possible.
It will be open sights only, express and peep. We'll use a Lyman 48 peep unless we can find a Parker Hale version.

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen:

While this really belongs in "Gunsmithing' or "Big Bores" you should get a copy of Jon Speed's "Original Oberndorf Sporting Rifles". It is published by Collector Grade Publications and Brownells might have them. Also, Ludwig Olson's "Mauser Rifles" or something very similar in title.

Also, check out www.nitroexpress.com They have an excellent Mauser forum and a seperate Mauser picture forum.

Have a look at "Rusty Marlins" cocking piece peep sights. He posts here on AR. Do a search of his name. Good work.

Good Luck.

RCG

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
I have owned some Type A's, none in the calibres you mentioned. The Speed book is a great reference, as is the NE forum.

My presumption is you plan to replicate one??

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RCG,
I wasn't sure whether to put it here or in Gunsmithing.

I put it here because it is about a style of rifle commonly used in African hunting.

Yes DuggaBoye, the plan is 2 rifles patterned after the Mauser Type A Rifles. To be used for hunting in Africa.

I am interested in Type A Rifle information if any caliber, the 404 Jeffery and 9.3x62 are of particular interest. Especially as relating to Africa. Like Osa Johnson's Type A 9.3x62 Rifle.

At this point we are thinking one in 404 Jeffery for me and one in 9.3x62 for my wife.

Mods, if this should be in the Gunsmithing Forum please move it for me, Thanks.

Allen

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
What RCG said

(I just developed the interest myself and had to re-up at Nitroexpress. Lots of Mauser stuff there.)

Found a copy of an old NRA reprint from American Rifleman (copyright 1980) on Amazon and have a Shotgun News special issue already on-hand about Mausers and "sporterizing" them, etc.

Didn't know myself either where to search at AR...

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
There was some discussion a while back on "Books and Videos" (which methinks is where questions about books should go) about books on the Mauser rifle.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks MR,

This pic answers two questions I had ie. the shape of the front sight ramp, whether it was curved or strait, I see it is strait, and did they use a barrel band or had a sling eye island soldered under the barrel.

I'm sure there probably some subtle differences over the time that they were made. But want to keep them as common overall style.

These appears to have fairly long barrels. I would guess 25". I like 25" barrels both the looks and the feel when well balanced.

Allen

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Allen

PM me your email address and I will email you some pictures of a gun that I was going to buy but didn't.

404 Jeffery built by W.J. Jeffery in the early 191?'s.

The stock is just hammered, the metal is a little better.

The pictures are fairly large so let me know if you have speed.

Ian

Posts: 234 | Location: Northern Ontario | Registered: 25 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Allen,

If it's of any help, you can buy all Jon Speed's books at the bottom of this page: http://www.shakariconnection.c...rm-books5.html#speed

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenBosely:
These appears to have fairly long barrels. I would guess 25". I like 25" barrels both the looks and the feel when well balanced.

Allen

Allen, according to the Mauser catalog that I have, and from which I scanned the images of the Type A rifles posted above, the standard barrel length for a Type A was 600 mm or 23.6 inches.

This could be varied on special order. Octagonal or half octagonal/half round barrels could be provided as well.

The fore end and grip cap were made of horn.

The butt plate was a ribbed steel model.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Allen,

I have a 404 Type A, its the same gun on page 230 of John Speeds book. Here are some photos:

It is a single square bridge magnum mauser action. My rifle is on the left resting against the elephant.

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a great rifle, reddy375. thumb

If you ever get tired of her, please let me know! Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW, I'm glad someone posted some photos. That 404 is perfect.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote