270 Max
.375 Express
Patent Mannlicher 1910

has the following features:
pop-up tang sight
one standing/one folding rear leaf
grip cap trap
finger knob operated take down system

I also have five boxes of n.i.b., properly headstamped brass and the makers case, albeit "worn" condition.

This rifle is capable of shooting better than I can see at 100 yards.

The .375 Express 2.5" (a/k/a 9.5x56) shoots a 270 grain bullet at a nominal velocity of 2150 fps with very moderate pressures. Brass can be made from several other calibers if necessary.

This rifle is a great example of the gunmakers art. It has the smoothest bolt action I've ever seen. Wood is pretty darn fine for a rifle close to 100 years old. Serial # is only four digits... "15XX".

This is not a perfect rifle, heck, it's older than Ray Atkinson, but I've shot it for several years and find it to be just fine. The bore is not shiney, but the rifling is good. There are some oil soaked wood spots, but no cracks in the stock. It shoots 3" at 100 yards with 270 grain Hornady RN softs (before witnesses Cool ).

So why the description and picture?

As you know, when Russell Taylor gave up his "day job" to serve in Iraq, Saeed, Ray, Pierre and many others chipped in to give him a trip to the Selous and a buffalo hunt this August. I personally promised him a Zebra for his doing his share. Dang Tanzanian gov't raised the price on the trophy fee, though... and while I was figuring out where the bucks will come from, I remembered this rifle that I had offered for sale a couple of months ago.

I asked Saeed if I could raffle it off on AR and he graciously said it was a "go".

So, here's the deal:

The gun is worth between $1000 and $1500, maybe more. I'll sell a maximum of 150 tickets at $10 a pop (and if enough tickets aren't sold to cover the Zebra, I'll eat the rest (and also "donate" the rifle to the winner. I don't think you can beat that.)

If you want to participate, send $10 per chance to me, checks payable to Ernest Gilbert/Zebra Fund, at:

Ernest Gilbert
Attn: Russell Taylor Zebra
800 G Street
Brunswick, GA 31520

Please include your e-mail address and AR "name".

The drawing will be at 7:00 p.m. July 4, 2005 at my house and anyone who wishes to attend is invited.. there will be fireworks, beer and food, btw. I live on St. Simons Island, GA and the local fireworks show is right out my front door. Jorge?

1115 will pull the winning ticket if he's not too busy being "Chief of Dectectives". When I get your check, I'll put a ticket with your name, etc. in a bucket and shake it well. You just got to trust us on this.

I'll e-mail you with your number(s) and confirm that you're in the mix. If any funds are collected over the trophy fee for the Zebra ($900), they will go first to shipping and insurance to your FFL, then to additional costs of sending Russell. If more than 150 entries are sent, I'll either return the checks or destroy them, at your direction.

Simple raffle, good cause, so...

Any takers?

Russell did well, got promoted to Lt.Colonel, in fact. He's got to go back next year, too.
Let's support "our" guy on his trip of a lifetime. We're going to get a great video of him hunting buffalo, btw. Wouldn't you like to see him take a Zebra that you helped provide?

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I'm in........

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
Classy offer and classy rifle. Smiler

PM sent.

Regards,
Martin

-----------------------
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. - R. Kipling

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doyle Hufstedler
posted Hide Post
Great idea I will send a check tomorrow,shoot stright russell
Doyle Hufstedler

"He must go -- go -- go away from here!
On the other side the world he's overdue.
'Send your road is clear before you when the old Spring-fret comes o'er you,
And the Red Gods call for you!"
Rudyard Kipling - 1887 - The Feet Of The Young Men

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Ernest: Count me in for the raffle... and the "fest" on 4 July!!!! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I'm serious about the invite for a 4th of July party, also. I'm an hour and thirty minutes north of Jacksonville. Click on www.coastalgeorgiaexperience.com to get some details about the area if you are looking for something to do on Independence Day!

I'll even officiate at your wedding. MY VICTIMS!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Ernest,

I would love to have been able to join you on the evening but I'll be hunting in Masailand - However I'll make a point of drinking not only to your health but also to all absent friends at 2100 Tz time on the evening....I hope you'll join me in the same toast.....which means you'll be drinking early!!....about 1400 hrs your time.

If you can please humour me and try not to put ice in the whisky!!! Wink.......instead try what the Scot's call "releasing the dragon".....or adding a little good quality water....it's much nicer!!!.......If you can't bring yourself to use water then I'll forgive you......hell, it's your whisky. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
Its probaly lot better odds the I will ever get on the lottery.Im righting the check.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
I'll take a couple.

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'll take a couple of chances and I'm a lefty. If I win, I'll have to share a cigar with you when I visit my in-laws in Brunswick.

I know it's usually the second biggest lie but the check's in the mail, (no lie here)!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Count me in, check will go out tommorow. A nice and mild medium bore would be a great addition. jump

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CFA
posted Hide Post
Ernest,

Thanks for doing that for Russell. Count me in for two will put check in mail tomorrow.

Sorry we missed you at the DRSS hunt but I had a Cohiba and a single malt or two in your honor.

Fred

*If you are not hunting in Africa you are planning to hunt in Africa*

Posts: 465 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
JudgeG

I will certainly be in it. Nice rifle and hope to see Russell in a photo behind his zebra in the not too distant future.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
Can foreigners buy tickets in this raffle? If so, count me in!

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check for 10 tickets on the way.

Posts: 355 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
As to folks across the sea.. I've had several inquires. Of course, if you can figure out how to get U.S. Funds to me before the auction is either full or ends, fine. We'll get the gun to someone who can export it, but you will have to bear the costs therefor.

I do have a Master Card merchant's account. I'm not sure that anyone would so wish, but if they'd call me at 912 261 8339, I'd put 5 or more chances on a card (I catch hell about small charges on my so-little-used account). I'd have to include a 4% fee therefor.

If you wanted to "order" via e-mail, you could send me the card info to properfistmele@hotmail.com. I can't insure security, of course. I'd need the three digit code on the back, too.

Thanks for your support so far!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My check for 5 is in the mail. A tip of the cap to those who made this hunt possible. beer

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
Put me in for 2 tickets, funds in the mail tomorrow.

Thanks for opportunity.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Put us in for two. Always happy to help out. Check goes out tomorrow. Mike

Posts: 150 | Location: Washington | Registered: 01 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just posted a check for 5. Thank you for
doing this.

Posts: 461 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ernest:

Very nice! I am sending you a check today for tickets.

Look forward to meeting you in the Selous the end of July!!

Best regards,

Jim

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Joel C
posted Hide Post
Money for 2 is in the mail from me.....

Posts: 130 | Location: Ripon, WI | Registered: 09 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I have about one-third promised... Come on fellows and ladies.. Send you checks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm in. Check will go out today. Bobc

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's my favorite type of rifle. I'm posting a check today for 10 tickets.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Update:

I've started getting checks and one credit card "order". Your "ticket" numbers are below.

1. 465 H&H
2. "
3. "
4. "
5. "
6. Jorge
7. "
8. Marc S
9. Mark 6.5x55
10. baboon
11. talentrec
12. "
13. CFA
14. "
15. Palmer
16. "
17. "
18. "
19. Matt Norman
20. Hogkiller
21. "
22. JJS
23. "
24. "
25. "
26. "

Updated list on second page of thread...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge,
I have been looking for a rifle with a "story" behind it. I am in and will send a check. Any other info on the rifle?

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm in but could you give me the background on Russell?

Posts: 470 | Location: Texas/NYC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I think Russ won't mind.. Hell, he's 6'4" and much man, so I pray he doesn't, anyway..

Russell has posted on this forum for years. When he first began conversing on AR, most of us didn't know quite what to think of him as he was quite outspoken, to say the least. Funny as it may seem, it was evident that he began to listen, rather than pontificate. A fine man was concealed under sometimes a gruff internet presence. We know him now to quite a gentleman.. still outspoken, but a pretty swell guy.

When it became obvious that there would be a massive call up of reserves Russ said that he would be going. I imagine lots of us didn't really believe it. Dang if everything he said didn't ring true and he had to leave his job, friends and comforts of home to serve in Iraq. He was one of us and we were proud of him. Many members sent him stuff for both him and his soldiers while he was in harm's way.

Before his call-up, Russ had been invited to his first safari (free, at that) by a friend, but had to give that up because of the war.

A bunch of us wanted to do something for him and I believe that Ray Atkinson first thought of sending him on his "missed" trip to Africa. I had a trip already paid for and figured out how to make his somewhat cheaper by making mine 2/1 instead of 1/1. Lots of good men and women donated a bunch of bucks to make his safari dream come true and put "our" soldier in the middle of a bunch of mad buffalo. Saeed was at the lead of that.

To memorialize the trip, Pierre van Tonder, the PH plans to get some great video that will be promulgated among us as have been Eric's, mine and, of course, Saeed's. Some more, too, but my mind fails me.

Russ proved his worth to our Army and was promoted to Lt.Colonel this winter.

He is just a regular guy, no more special than some others who post here and are in the Marines or Army or other armed services (or the police and firefighters doing their jobs in the States), but he was the guy who we kind of picked to be "our" pay back for all the fellows and ladies whose lives were disrupted by the call. He's working two jobs now, trying to save enough for a second buffalo and pay for his ticket to Dar es Salaam.

Russ didn't want to accept the "gift" at first, but finally did after some pointed urging by lots of folks who just wanted to do something for him.

Of course, there are folks more "deserving" than Russ, but I honestly don't think that anyone appreciates it more, or will "get ready" for the trip with greater seriousness.

Your choice about the raffle, but Russ is just a middle-American who loves his country and absent politics, wants to do his best for his troops and get them back alive. I went to Southeast Asia in 1971. About 2 people have ever thanked me (at least among those who didn't go). I'm thanking Russell. If you so desire, have at it!

Semper Fi

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
I do have a Master Card merchant's account. I'm not sure that anyone would so wish, but if they'd call me at 912 261 8339, I'd put 5 or more chances on a card (I catch hell about small charges on my so-little-used account). I'd have to include a 4% fee therefor.

Forgive my ignorance, but does that mean you can take a VISA charge, or just a Mastercard charge?

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm in for a couple also.

mike

"Too lazy to work and too nervous to steal"

Posts: 201 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I think about any card but American Express.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd like some of that action. Always a pleasure to support our troops.

A nation with dogs and whiskey beats Nazis. A nation with cats and spritzers is asking to be shoved around.

Posts: 85 | Location: Charleston, SC | Registered: 21 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Check for 2 is now in the mailbox.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Dropped a check for 2 chances yesterday morning. Come onnnn - momma needs a new pair of shoes!

MikeB

Posts: 26 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think about any card but American Express.

Thanks.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check for a chance sent today. Sorry I can't do more!

I was most impressed when Russell asked for stuff for his guys in the early days of GWII ... said all I'll ever NEED to know about him.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Pull out those check books fellows! A ticket doesn't even cost as much as two Whopper Combos!

The address is:

Ernest Gilbert
Russell A/R Zebra Fund
800 G Street
Brunswick, GA 31520

If anyone has sent a check and it doesn't so reflect on the list, let me know (giving time for delivery, of course).

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Ernest,

You should have mine shortly, I mailed it out a few days ago.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

This is a worthy cause and a great opportunity at a neato rifle. Russ has been a very good friend to me over the years and has been a mentor on many of the intricacies of hand loading for me. I am about to get started on building my own hand loads very shortly and thanks to help from Russ. Who's been mighty patient with me as well. Big Grin So have some of the rest of you!

When Russ was deployed I sent a lot of packages over to him and quite a lot of it he distributed to his troops. He is a commander who cares about his personnel and really what more could you want for!

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pull out those check books fellows! A ticket doesn't even cost as much as two Whopper Combos!

Email(s) sent.