Find
Notify
Tools

Re: .416 Rigby Loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Rich,

I have used IMR 4831 with Norma brass, fed 215 primers and any 400gr bullet. I saw more variability in accuracy with bullet type than with powder, at least with these two powders (IMR4831 and H4831 or SC). My best groups have been with Swifts. With the swift bullets groups from my Ruger are one hole if I do my part. Groups with Woodleigh, Swift, Horniday and Trophy Bonded bullets are all well under an inch at 100yds.

For what it's worth I had a Swift squirt the lead core out the back of the bullet when hit the off shoulder of a buff after braking the on-side shoulder and punching a huge hole in the heart. Buff went about ten steps before droping like a rock.

Best regards;
Brett

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

96 grains of either H-4831 or IMR 4831 is indeed the load. Accurate, reasonable on the shoulder, and it will carry the mail from Addis to Capetown.

JCN

Whenever I find a Hodgdon load that delivers acceptable accuracy at a very safe & sane pressure, I stop load development and go looking for cooter or a good fishing spot to while away the rest of the day.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like to hear more about this "rattling" as well.

I am not sure the powder matters much. I am sure the bullet does. I use Swift A Frames and Hornaday solids, though I prefer the former.

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, Anyhow I am getting some place to start. Addis to Capetown is a long way though!

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 104 H4831 with a 400 Nosler, shoots under 1 in. and goes 2500 fps from a 23" Ruger. You can load it clear to 2700 fps with RL22, but when you do that it really shoves back. The difference in recoil is very noticeable and 2500 fps is plenty fast.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 100 gr R22 with 400gr Swifts and AGS solids and average 2420 over the screens. Got into a batch of that "hot" R22 a while back and got 2550 with that load before they told me to burn it. No pressure signs but plenty of recoil. This load has been very accurate in my rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
jorge,

I would suggest your stop your argument with RIP. He knows of what he speaks, he is an "expert" of AR afterall.

Because of this rattle issue I have been loading my 416 Rigby with 410 gr Woodleighs and 102 gr of IMR4350. Rattling is resolved and muzzle velocities are right around 2710 fps from a 24" barrel. I would recommend using the new thicker jacketed Woodleighs if you use my load.

However, consider the the FACT that the 416 Rigby, or any of the heavy medium bores for that matter, are sorry substitutes for REAL BIG BORES I now load my Rigby with 350 gr bullets at 2780 fps (104 gr of IMR4350). This loading essentially turns it into a 0.416" bore 30-06, which is a cartridge, the 30-06 that is, that the 416 can somewhat improve upon.

H4831 in the 416 Rigby is for sissys, plain and simple.

------------------------disclaimer-------------------------

You use my posted loads at your own risk. They show no excessive signs of pressure in my rifle, which to date as ingested hundreds (probably well of a thousand) of them to date.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's the first time ever I've heard anybody use the word "sorry" when speaking about the 416 Rigby. As to the rest, no thanks, I'll stick with my meager 2375MV, 400gr Swifts and Hornady solids. jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use H 4831 sc at 104 gr and get 2540 or thereabouts and very accurate. Swift A-Frame 400 gr bullet, Norma brass, Fed 215 GM primer. That is in a CZ and 24 inch barrel. Good hunting.

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote