New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Shooting Bill's elephants
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What Ray said about the angles and visualization of the three-D brain position and plenty of practice in off-hand shooting.
Will go back again ele hunting to test all this info

Went to the Big Bore shoot at Lodi, Wisconsin yesterday. The Australian big bore class of events is a great way to prepare your self for a elephant hunt, all events are off hand shooting from 100 yards to 25 yards, with some events having reloading sequences under timed fire. Three classes, ie. .338 and up. .400 and up and .500 and up. Hope more attend this event next year. Lots of double rifles.

Dak

Posts: 495 | Location: USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a little quibble, the brain actually lies mosty BEHIND the zygoms, thats what can make a side brain shot difficult if you are really close. If you aim too low the zygom may deflect the bullet, too high and the bullet will miss the brain above.

Seeing a recently shot ele head disection is very interesting. Based on observation, I think that the "visualize a stick running through the ear holes" method is probably best.

Brett

one of us
posted Hide Post
I missed an very easy side brain shot on a bull at only 45 yards. His front legs went down first(bad sign) but was out cold and I finished him easily. When we walked up to him to see what happened the hole was almost spot on, but we all knew something was wrong. After looking at the wound channel and lay of the land we noticed that I was a couple meters or a little less lower than the elephant was standing when I shot him. Making the shot go over his brain by probably .5 inches. We didnt notice the rise from the point of the gun it was not noticable from there, but from the spot where the elephant was standing it was more noticeable.

There is alot to account for on a brain shot. Even a little rise at 45 yards can make a big difference. Up close things really get fun. My closest shot was 12 yards. I wouldnt shoot an elephant any other way.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pictures are cute...

Best to memorize the brain lies between the cornor of the eye and the earhole if you draw a line between the two..if you know this then allow for angle etc. Like shooting for the off sholder of an animal with a raking shot, its not difficult once you get it down...

Frontal shot, well about the 3 wrinkle down will usually get it done, but again remember where the brain is and thats between eye and earhole, and also that the angle changes as the animal gets closer to you and you are required to lower your aim as you lift the rifle sights to intersect that line to the brain....

Piece of cake!

Posts: 42163 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Recently In Zimbabwe, I had the 4th snenario presented to me. Actually, I wasn't ready for a "non-classic" shot, but there was no time to get any thing else as we were in a cow herd and the wind was changing. I was originally schooled on the heart-lung and side brain shot. What I learned from this, is to study all angles and positions, as these animals don't even stand still and some of the shots have to rushed in a narrow shooting lane in the thick bush. No time for sticks here! Oh, forgot to mention, there was a downed ele, but required a second shot.

Really worthwhile to get famiiiar with these pics.

Dak

Posts: 495 | Location: USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote