THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Meaning of the word “safariâ€

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Meaning of the word “safariâ€
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Accepted that interpretations of meanings vary from observer to observer.
My specific question is:
In the vocabulary of foreign (i.e. non-African) hunters, does it imply a wildlife viewing trip to anywhere? To Africa? A hunting trip to anywhere? To Africa?
I am not interested in the explanations of Oxford Dictionary and the likes. I want to know how hunters read that word “safariâ€.
Thanx,
Lochi.

Hunters pay for conservation. Without funds from hunting the African game cannot survive.
www.affordableafricanhunting.com

Posts: 240 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
ADVENTURE!

The same as the word is in Swahili.

I suppose in the back of my mind I don't think much of non-hunting safaris when I see the word.

I would very much like to go to the Masai Mara, Ngororongo Crater, Zim Falls, Egypt, and a dozen other non-hunting locations in Africa as well.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most people I know think of safari as an African hunting trip.

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cunningham
posted Hide Post
A trip to a faraway location where adventure awaits.

Global Sportsmen Outfitters, LLC
Bob Cunningham
404-802-2500

Posts: 580 | Location: I am neither for you or against you. I am completely the opposite. | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JD:
Most people I know think of safari as an African hunting trip.

I find a lot of non-hunters see it as a photo trip to Africa.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The word "safari" is a Swahili adaptation of the Arabic word "safar". This means a trip or journey to anothet country.

Today, it seems to mean a hunting trip to Africa.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
The word is KSwahili, meaning Journey or Trip!

When I see the word SAFARI, I think hunting, in AFRICA! I think when nonhunters see the same word they think animal viewing, also in Africa. That type of SAFARI is a CAMERA SAFARI to me. I don't think the word SAFARI , by either meaning, has any connection to any place other than Africa. The word is AFRICAN!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
SAFARI means let's soak them honky Americans for a hunting trip to Africa. Smiler

jump

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"lets go surfin' now, evreybody's learnin' how, come on a SAFARI with me."

Brian Wilson

Posts: 322 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To me safari has always meant an African hunting adventure. It has been adapted to include other locations, and activities including photography.

About 25 years ago there was a movie in the USA entitled "Alaskan Safari" with footage from hunts in the north country.

For many people though, it will always conjure up images of the African bush.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Steve Richards,

You got to be over fifty to know the surfin safari... Big Grin Big Grin like me

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
Steve Richards,

You got to be over fifty to know the surfin safari... Big Grin Big Grin like me

Mike

Some of us a bit younger are familiar with the subject... Cool

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
"Safari" means to me:

1. A trip to Africa to view or hunt animals;

2. A similar hunt elsewhere where there is a similar atmosphere, eg the "Top End" of Australia, or the "bush" in the outback.

3. A adventurous holiday into the wilds of the world. I wouldn't ever use it for a holiday into settled land like Europe or a visit to a city. The place must be wild and adventurous. South America, the wild places of Asia etc.

These fit within the original Arabic meaning of "journey" for me.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanx gentlemen, that answers it: My potential clientele reads “safari†to imply “hunting in Africaâ€. So anything like “African safari†would be as duplicative as “vacational holidayâ€.

So much then for my African Varmint Safarisâ€!
I am in the process of reviewing my antiquated web sites, URLs and the name of my little outfitters concern. I am promoting myself one step up from the humble beginnings of “African Varmint Safaris†to something less varminty and a bit more plains-gamish. Hmmmm … Wink Well, this name is repeatedly duplicative as it is, so it will have to go – sniff.

I am thinking of something more dynamic and politically correct like “bunny-hugger safaris†or maybe “flower-children safaris†or …. Will you still hunt with me?
Big Grin
Lochi.

Hunters pay for conservation. Without funds from hunting the African game cannot survive.
www.affordableafricanhunting.com

Posts: 240 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote