THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Historical articles or references to the 9.3's

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Historical articles or references to the 9.3's
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi Gents, does anyone have links to articles, books or connections to prominent hunters in which the 9.3x62, 9.3x74R and 9.3x64 starred?
Particularly the 9.3 x 64.
I seem to remember one of the maneater hunters of previous days carried one of these, does anyone know who that was?
Any current fellows using them please feel free to comment in general.

Posts: 3533 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
I know that Ian Nyschens (Months of the Sun) wrote about a civil servant from Nyasaland (Malawi) who'd cross the lake to Mozambique and hunt man-eaters with a drilling that had 2 x 9.3 barrels and a 12 ga barrel.

I'd guess it to be a 9.3x74R, but he didn't give further details.

(And, yes it's a drilling if it has 3 barrels from the German "Dreiling".)

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 'Last of the few' Tony Sanchez Arino refers frequently to the 9.3x64 and writes very favorably about it as a cartridge. He appears to have used it quite a lot.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Ganyana is a real backer of the all the 9.3 cartridges for everything, especially the 9.3X62. I think he wrote a lot of articles in Magnum magazine.

I'm nobody but the 9.3X74R is one of my all time favorite cartridges in a light S/S double rifle. It is a very well designed cartridge in a double rifle for a light rifle to back-up your big bore double for plains game but can take over if the big bore goes south it can finish the safari.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I have articles by Steve Gash, John Barsness and a few others. PM me with your email & I'll send PDF files.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11222 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Pondoro Taylor used one with an Aussie mate on the Northern Rhodesian and Niassaland border.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Pondoro Taylor used one with an Aussie mate on the Northern Rhodesian and Niassaland border.

John Dawkins ?

I think it is written up in his book ?

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
In his book, "In the Beginning, God Created Man the Hunter," Ron Thomson writes of his early hunting with a Husqvarna Mauser in 9.3 x 62. Cool

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Ossa Johnson used a 9,3X62.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11222 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote