Notify
Tools

Baboon
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Norbert
posted
Phot. anno 1897 by C.G. Schillings in East-Africa:

Posts: 279 | Location: Europe, Eifel hills | Registered: 12 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cousins??

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I hope that baboon is a family or village pet of good standing. Perhaps not so much the olive or yellows but many other varieties have a terrible track record, with regard to small children.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It does appear to be tethered to the pole so probably a watchdog pet.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Martinez:
It does appear to be tethered to the pole so probably a watchdog pet.
Frank

I bet he really sounds off when a lion, leopard or hyena comes near camp!

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post

This is the only good baboon, a dead one.

They do add something to the ambiance of Africa.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post

J B de Runz

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I killed mine at 350 meters up hill and running with a borrowed rifle. The absolute best shot of my life.

But you killed yours with a sharpened stick.

Hmm, I hate being one upped! Especially by a bowhunter! jumping

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
d99,

You aren't upped at all.
I missed every baboon I shot in Burkina because they stayed clearbeyond 300m..and sitting duck. Not speaking of running.

I bumped onto a band of baboons in jungle and by treachery, calling them, I managed to staple the boss. I never managed to shoot a baboon with my rifle.

J B de Runz

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I missed quite a few, but i was glad to connect with that big cheaky fellow. I am looking forward to taking some more.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
2005 Baboons:

Zimbabwe on the banks of the Zambezi

Archery RSA, almost 30 yards across a water hole

Don't get bit!

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
I keep reading about "stinking" baboons, or "smelly" baboons. Is that literal or figurative? Are their insides particularly odorous after being shot?
Dave

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
They are in a three way tie for how they are going to smell.

First you have full on sweaty horse smell.

Second, you have that swine pig shit smell.

Third you have to remember that Baboons aren't very tidy. You won't find them in the same places those Japanese snow monkeys are cleaning themselves. So you have the dirty ape smell to add to the triage.

I rate them as dirty, smelly, loud, ugly, smart, cunning, and worth of hunting.

They make for a hell of a trophy weather you take the skull alone, or mount them in a safari uniform standing at attention with a toy mauser.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post

I looked but I couldn't find any like the ones I seen in Namibian Taxidermy shops in khakis with a little toy mauser!

One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
Thanks, D99 (I think)! Wink

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Western Zambia the natives refuse to touch a dead Baboon. They think they are a bit too closely related. Smiler

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want a baboon skull for my "collection" but shooting a monkey is hard enough. Just hope it´s a clean kill.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey1:
In Western Zambia the natives refuse to touch a dead Baboon. They think they are a bit too closely related. Smiler

It's pretty much the same in Namibia.

one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
quote:
I want a baboon skull for my "collection" but shooting a monkey is hard enough. Just hope it´s a clean kill.

Why? Don't start that shit that they are to human!!

I've shot 18 so far and all have done what animals do, fall over dead or run then fall over dead!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Widowmaker416:

Your post caught my eye because I see you're from next door to me. I recall once bouncing around in a truck (I already had the buff I came to Africa for) and suddenly we were on a pack of baboons. I found myself in a staring match with a big baboon. He started to snap his teeth. I responded by picking up a Colt Python, 357 Mag. because he was that close. ( MY PH's) The PH told me : "Either stop trying to stare him down -or shoot him". Fortunately, after beginning to get angry with this critter who dared to oppose me ( Smiler) I cooled off. It wouldn't have occurred to me to shoot a baboon for a "trophy". Sorry, guys, I'm not criticizing anyone else's hunting. It's just aint mine. (I admit that I saw a much large troop of baboons another time at about 200 yds through binocs - and they were scary)

Posts: 800 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Ann

How toothy and impressive your baboons are.
I never saw such baboons. They are Papio anubis subspecies chacma. In the North they don'grow such teeth. That's trophies.
I kept the whole skull of my baboon as a trophy. My cousin ( always hunting with me), made his baboons' skulls upper part sawed off so as to use them as cups like the Gauls, our ancestors, did in the past with their enemies' skulls. Nobody's perfect.

J B de Runz

one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post

J B de Runz

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In SA I saw the best piece of taxidermy work ever. Four baboons were dressed like New York pimps sitting around a table playing poker! jumping

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill

Zimbabwe on the banks of the Zambezi

Hey, I recognize that gun!

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LJS:

I heard that the taxidermist was from Pittsburgh and was very familiar with what NY pimps looked like because he often had business dealings with them! Smiler (Just kidding, I love PA)

Posts: 800 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote