THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    All Airlines to Charge for Gun Handling

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All Airlines to Charge for Gun Handling
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cunningham
posted
This was in my SCI e-mail news letter today.

All Airlines to Charge for Gun Handling?
SCI has been advised by domestic airline representatives that on June 1st, 2006, airlines began strictly enforcing oversize baggage regulations and charging an extra fee for any case with combined dimensions (height plus length plus width) of more than 62 inches. Obviously, this policy will affect sportsmen traveling with cased long guns. This news follows the announcement earlier this year from Air Canada that they will now charge a $50 handling fee per long gun per flight. Responding to a complaint filed jointly by SCI and the NRA, Air Canada Customer Relations Manager Jocelyne Henry stated "Although firearms and particularly ammunition fall into the 'dangerous goods' category, the fee is based on the greater workload we bear to check a firearm and not on the fact that it is considered dangerous. The same fee is applied to both bicycles and surfboards when carried as checked baggage." At this time, SCI and The Federalist Group are developing a plan to contest the domestic application of this fee to firearm cases. To bolster this effort, it would be helpful to have examples from SCI members of encountering this fee, and the circumstances under which the fee was charged. Please let us know if you have been charged this fee, and how the charge was justified by airline staff. Please include details of your flight, carrier, and a detailed description of the firearm case for which the fee was levied.

Global Sportsmen Outfitters, LLC
Bob Cunningham
404-802-2500

Posts: 580 | Location: I am neither for you or against you. I am completely the opposite. | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Comments can be emailed to
kschwartz@sci-dc.org.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9374 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"...charging an extra fee for any case with combined dimensions (height plus length plus width) of more than 62 inches...Although firearms and particularly ammunition fall into the 'dangerous goods' category, the fee is based on the greater workload we bear to check a firearm and not on the fact that it is considered dangerous. The same fee is applied to both bicycles and surfboards when carried as checked baggage."
So... if I carry a double in a break-down case the surcharge doesn't apply? It'd be interesting to see how they respond to that!

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
As much as I hate to admit, there is at times extra service for customers with guns. Most airlines hand deliver guns to and from the airplane and many times I have been required to claim them from the baggage office, rather than picking them off the baggage conveyor. Is it worth the extra charge??? not in my book but the airlines are looking for any way to charge a customer extra fees. Hell you have to pay extra for an aisle seat on some carriers. Where I get mad is looking at all the taxes and fees added onto any ticket....about 10%-15%. That combined with $40 per day parking is expensive!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I flew on SAA and Delta this past weekend with a large case containing two rifles and was charged no extra fees.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I also would like assurances that golf bag cases are charged extra, since they require additional space and are sometimes hand delivered.
Guess I'd have to agree that special handling and additional work are required for firearms, but it still is a kick in the teeth.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If they would also thorw in a guarantee delivery to me in person, it would be well worth it. hammering

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
When will it end?

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
When will it end?

Has it EVER ended??????????????????????? NO! and it never will! Roll Eyes

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
$50 per firearm isn't too bad. I am amazed they haven't charged in the past. With the new regulations, hand checking, carrying etc it isn't surprising eventually profit making businesses will want to charge.

Of course if one charges and another doesn't then the consumer has a choice.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fair enough to charge me $50 to handle my weapon. BUT do I get to charge them $50 if my gun case is delayed or lost?

Posts: 100 | Location: Thompkin Corners, Sullivan Co. Penna | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do I get to charge them if I check no luggage at all? rotflmo

My wife and I managed to pack everything into a few carry-on bags for our trip.

Posts: 104 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cunningham:
This was in my SCI e-mail news letter today.

All Airlines to Charge for Gun Handling?
SCI has been advised by domestic airline representatives that on June 1st, 2006, airlines began strictly enforcing oversize baggage regulations and charging an extra fee for any case with combined dimensions (height plus length plus width) of more than 62 inches. Obviously, this policy will affect sportsmen traveling with cased long guns. This news follows the announcement earlier this year from Air Canada that they will now charge a $50 handling fee per long gun per flight.

It would appear there are two separate issues here:
1) certain (all?) US carriers having decided to enforce restrictions on oversize luggage - whether the luggage holds guns or not. Although this may apply to sportsmen travelling with long arms, it is not a gun related transportation fee per se. I.e. check your guns in a take-down case inside your (regularly sized) duffel, and no extra fee should apply to you. Or am I reading this incorrectly??

2) the additional fee Air Canada has instituted on GUN transportation - regardless of the size of checked luggage. Nobody knows what Air Canada intends to offer for the additional tansportation fee - e.g. guaranteed delivery at destination airport would be rather nice. So thus far, this particular fee looks like it is a way of gouging a (politically incorrect) subset of travellers, and a way to get customers to pay for Air Canadas selfimposed bureaucracy.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote