THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    How NOT to tell your wife you'r going hunting!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How NOT to tell your wife you'r going hunting!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I originally posted this in response to bull 1's dilemma on how he was going to tell his wife that he had booked another safari, but it is too important a lesson on what NOT to do when faced with this situation: Smiler

I have a cousin who is pretty well off, and he has a habit of telling his wife he is leaving for hunting trips (I mean BIG trips -- up to two weeks duration) as he is walking out the door for the airport! I mean, it's like this: Wife, "where you going? We have dinner reservations at seven, so be home by six."

Cousin: "Don't think I'll be making those reservations. I'm leaving for (Texas, South Dakota, Africa, wherever). Be back next week!"

The thing is, HE GETS BY WITH IT! Or at least, he used to.

Then, one time, he was leaving for an Arkansas duck hunt (as usual, informing his wife as he was walking out the door), and she had made "couple" plans for them that weekend. She yells at him as he is getting in the car "if you go on this trip, You won't have a single gun in your cabinet when you get back!

Well he just smiled and continued on the trip. Why not, he had done this dozens of times. However, this time when he got home, there was not a single gun in his gun cabinet! I mean L.C. Smith's, Parkers, custom rifles, nothing!

When he inquires as to their wherebouts, she says "I pitched them in the dumpster". All he can say is "I certainly hope you weren't stupid enough to throw away $100,000 worth of guns." Then he let the subject drop.

For one solid year they did not mention the fate of the guns to each other (he knew better). It became a large topic of conversation among the rest of the members of the family, however. We would always ask him at family functions "any word on the guns yet? The answer would always be "no" and with that we let it rest.

Finally, after a year, she told him where the guns were (wrapped in blankets, under the insulation in his attic).

Since then the tells her when he is leaving for a trip at least one day in advance. Seems to work, as he still has his guns (however he now keeps then in a vault to which he has the only key).

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
100K worth of guns or the wife?

Lord, please never tempt me like that....

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
You can get another wife, but I don't think Parkers are as easy to come by.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I get home I'm changing the combination on my gun safe.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crowrifle:

Lord, please never tempt me like that....

I've been married so long that I don't even look both ways before I cross the street.

No problem making that decision.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12687 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Lhook7 & Fjold,
10-4 on both counts.
You know why husbands dies before our wives?
Because we want to.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1262 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that lady just has no sense of humor at all

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've been married so long that I don't even look both ways before I cross the street.

rotflmo

That one was new to me...but is now part of the repertoire. Big Grin

Thanks, beer
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One day's notice now? What a peach of a guy!

Posts: 281 | Location: southern Wisconsin | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Women. Doesn't matter how good looking she is or how great in bed she is. There is at least one guy out there tired of taking her shit.

As for Parkers, lots and lots guys out there who want one. Hell, you can auction them off for a fortune!

Pretty easy decision.

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys!!

I'm getting engaged this year and you guys aren't makin it easy on me... Wink

Any advice? Anything positive to say (read: encouraging words)?

Thanks Wink

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CanadianLefty:
Guys!!

Thanks Wink

Advice: Buy everything you want, now...

Encouragement: Marrying my wife was the smartest thing I ever did. Sadly, I do not think she can say the same about me...

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guys!!

Thanks Wink

some time if one of you is out of town try and imagine what you would do if you came home and she was gone or she did not come home not killed or hurt just no longer there. if you cant imagine what you would do without her mary her. if you can but think life would never be as good mary her. if you think you would be ok after a while run brother run.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know a guy who got screwed by his wife big time. She got sick of him. He gave her reason but she never objected to his hunting and fishing trips or the money he spent before then. He came home from duck hunting in north dakota. After a 14 hour drive he finds the sheriff in front of his house. He is getting the boot she is afraid for safety and is getting a restraining order. I knew the guy well he might of been a hunting bum but he would never hurt anyone. Besides she could of kicked his ass easy.The law takes all his guns. He had nothing collectable but nothing cheap at all. He fights for about six months in court just to get back in the house. When he does evrything of his is gone. He was a very accomplished trap shooter. He won many major events. All his trophys were gone all his taxidermy all his reloading everything. He then went to the garage. It was a two car garage. He had it so packed with fishing gear and hunting equipment you could barely walk in it. All that was left if the garage was a broom. After about two years of fighting the courts he got his guns back. They were all beat to hell. The sheriff did not take them in cases. They were just tagged and thrown in the evidence locker. Clips were missing high end scopes were gone. It was ugly. He had no way of proving anything. He had no documentation of anything she had thrown every piece of his paperwork out. And to top it all off the courts gave her his prize winning german short hair pointer. Again he had no papers to prove the dog was his. She had a vet bill with her name on it. So even if everything seems ok give some thought to what the wifes real feelings might be about your hunting habit.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CL: Not all women are bitches -trust me, I´ve been married to an angel for 26 years.

Example: I was offered a leopard hunt last fall at a very good price but I declined as I didn´t see that we (the family) had the funds.

I told my wife about the offer and she asked me: "Are you going to take it?"

I at first thought she was being sarcastic but then asked if she thought we could afford it and she answered: "Things will work out, go if it makes you happy."

I didn´t take the leopard hunt but instead I learned the definition of true love Wink

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
My Dad always said when i was a youngster that if i meet a good woman i must hunt, fish and play golf more than usual. if she stays and marries you she excepted it and wont complain about it.

I didnt listen the first time because that Bermudda triangle does funny things to a mans brain. i didnt fish,hunt or played golf for more than a year just spend my off time with her and then got married. when i got back in my sporting routine it went allright for 2years and then the wheels came off.

I didnt make the mistake again with my 2nd wife and it doesnt bother her at all she even tells me "its time you go hunting again you getting on my nerves" she even packs my bags.

im a huntaholic and get withdrawell symtomes if i dont hunt. it suits her because she can get her paintings done when im not home.

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
In the morning when you leave for hunt, you should always walk backwards.
In case wife wake up, she might think you have just come home. hillbilly

P.S. Good one Fjold clap

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
I've just got off the phone having booked a weeks flats flyfishig in the keys, because my wife wanted a holiday "but we need to go somewhere with "creche" facilities for Kiri..."

Apparently creche faciilties means somewhere I can go fishing or shooting!!

So a week in Cheeca lodge it is next month!!

I knew I married the right girl!!

FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LHook

It is a mistake to ever tell them the combination to the safe. My son is the only other human who knows mine, and he may have forgotten it. My dad always said it was OK to teach your wife to shoot, just never teach her how to load one herself, just to keep yourself safe. My wife knows I could never be happy not going, so as long as the bills are paid when I leave, she is happy I'm hunting. She does sometimes have a problem understanding why I need another rifle, fortunately she can't tell one from another, since she doesn't have the combination to the safe she can't count them either.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is what I do, I save money on the side doing small construction jobs and my wife never knows about my rathole $$$. After I save enough and have booked the trip, I type up a letter on fake letterhead saying I won a free trip. I have won 3 deepsea fishing trips, and I have also had an out of state contractor friend give me a RSA safari.

I do take the family on vacation every year also so it all works out.

Now I need to find a Zim buff hunt someone will give me.

Posts: 159 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is important that she never see all the firearms at once. You're just asking for a fight if you let that happen!

Posts: 281 | Location: southern Wisconsin | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buckshotaz:
This is what I do, I save money on the side doing small construction jobs and my wife never knows about my rathole $$$. After I save enough and have booked the trip, I type up a letter on fake letterhead saying I won a free trip. I have won 3 deepsea fishing trips, and I have also had an out of state contractor friend give me a RSA safari.

clap lol

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

You are very lucky when it comes to winning you must play the lotto aswell lol Wink

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife would never accept the day I'm leaving thing, but then I would never do it so I guess we are a good match.

She's great, she helped me pay for my first Safari last summer with my 18 year old son.

Posts: 475 | Location: Moncton, New Brunswick | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
quote:

I know someone that won a purdey in a charity clay shoot and raffle....

Rgds,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I won several pairs of boots when I was married, but never a whole rifle or hunt.

I have been divorced since 2000, sometimes I think it would be nice to wake up next to someone and then I realize that I would have to start asking permission again.

I had a Russian girlfriend when I lived in Spain, she didn't speak but about 30 words of English and it was fantastic!

I am convinced they are probably the most giving women in the world if you treat them right. If they are not getting taken care of they will cut you to the bone. The thing is most Russian girls have never been given much in the way of anything, and have never had a dime to their name. So anything you do is huge in their eyes.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had 10 years of great marriage, 10 out of 44 ain't too bad. Big Grin

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
I know of a guy that came home one day to find that his wife had thrown all of his guns into the pool. A gun safe is a great idea- I have one, and dont have a pool.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwana1, I have a friend that came home one day to see smoke curling up from the back yard. It was his bass boat full of all, I mean ALL, of his stuff, guns, clothes, etc. I asked him what he did, he said nothing. I didnt/don't believe him.....

Another friend, now gone, used to walk to the local pharmacy to pick up the paper. Some friends drove up as he was heading home, they were headed to the Gulf coast for a fishing trip. He hopped in and went. Two days later he called hom to have his wife put some clothes on a bus for him...and she did. Prolly wasn't the first time he's dome it...
troy

Birmingham, Al

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
After the first three years of marriage, my ex would start a fight about my hunting from the first day she heard about it right up until I got into my vehicle to leave (and beside the vehicle door as I pulled out of the driveway).
We were divorced in 1990...ain't peace wonderful?!?!?

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I have always discussed my hunting/fishing trips with my wife. After 43 years, it has really worked out well. When I started planning a dangerous game hunt to Tanzania she questioned if I had the necessary equipment to take care of "business". "We" bought my 470 double before that first trip.

Guys, it's a two way street, and I really enjoyed the 10 days in the South Pacific. After an SA Safari the "Lion King" on Broadway was lots of fun Wink

I had to cancel a Wyoming antelope hunt because of back surgery. While rehab has been tough, she reminds me it is necessary if I am going to make the Wyoming trip this year.

Been a great 43 years.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

That is the secret. Just be up front from the get go.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guys!!

Thanks Wink
.................................Tell her you work in the woods then have a reason to move to the middle of no where where the place is infested with dangerous game .........Worked for me thumb

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
I called in mine from Reno. Figured she would be over the worst of it by the time my flight landed in Seattle the next day.

Going back to Zim for buff dancing

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
.......My wife really wants us to go to Africa to hunt .....These 2 on 1 .,hunts ....I gotta pay for both ............She is from the southern California desert ,so if its some place hot she would pack and sight it a 500 A-Sq. if need be .......SHE,S GOIN !!!!!!!

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
The whole secret to all this is breaking them in early.

My wife and I lived in NJ when we got married. She was working at the time and couldn't get more than two days off for a honeymoon. So we married on a Sunday and went to a nice hotel for two days.

When we got back to town, she went back to work the next day, and I left to hunt deer with a friend in the Adirondaks for three days.

A year later, we moved to AZ. I've been hunting ever since, and we're still married -- 46 years later.

Of course, I use the excuse that many of the hunting and fishing trips I take are "research" and to gather photos -- all of which will produce income and pay for those trips.

Since this is the African section, I'll get this back on topic.

We were spending our usual two weeks at our time shares in Mazatlan, Mexico. One day, I got an email from a friend in Salt Lake. He had booked a trip to SA with another guy, who backed out of going. So there was a spot available.

Now my wife Ellen has known for years that a trip to the Dark Continent was always a possibility. BUT...for fear of the expense, I had pretty much kept it on the back burner -- until that email.

Over diner that night, I casually said, "Troy is going to Africa on a hunt and wants me to go along."

Her reply, "You've wanted to do that for years. You should go."

Naturally, I kinda kept my joy in check because I just knew she would eventually ask me how much it would cost, and that would probably put a damper on her entusiasm to get rid of me for two weeks. And...eventually she did ask.

I of course made the $5K for the hunt sound like a bargain for what we would get. I didn't tell her that the rest of the "incidentals" would likely add another $5k (actually by the time I was done with adding critters and the taxidermy, the add-on was more like $15K!).

Soooo...that night, I sent an email to reserve the open spot, and the rest is history.

A year later, the same friend found us a smoking deal to hunt in NZ. Again, it was an easy sell.

So yeah, I've had it good for years. dancing -TONY

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris_Kenney
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guys!!

Thanks Wink

1. Find your wife a hobby. Mine likes to do scrapbooks, so she goes scrapbooking for weekends several times a year. Therefore when it's time for me to go hunt she can't really say no.

2. Always make vacation time for her and the family. If she feels like she never gets to go anywhere while you are out seeing the world, she is going to be pissed.

3. Make sure the bills are paid. If the electricity gets turned off and you just bought a new gun, you are screwed.

4. Make sure she knows the full extent of your "condition" before you say I do. My wife HATES guns. But she knows shooting and hunting is part of who I am and it makes me a happier person. Therefore, when I am having a bad week she is the first to say, "Why don't you go shooting?"

Enjoy being married, I do. dancing

Posts: 120 | Location: Frisco, TX | Registered: 13 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Never lie about your guns and hunting.

Never.

And......

Be ready for "the look" when you buy your second gun safe. Wink

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be happy to take care of your guns after you are married...
quote:
Guys!!

Thanks Wink

Posts: 523 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 18 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
You guys are making me real happy I have never had a wife. Sounds like I won't too. By now, all the women who are interested in me-- I do not want. And the ones I want (young, thin and beautiful) wnat nothing to do with an old man. Life is bliss!! Cool sofa

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote