New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help to plan another safaris
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking to go back on another safaris. I just did my first this year and had a great time bu I am looking for a new place to go with good trophy quality. I was hunting in the hills south of Johanesburg last time and shot 12 different species and now want to get more specific on what I hunt for next time with some higher standards on trophy quality. I want to focus on Bushbuck, Nyala, Kudu Warthog, Impala and Possibly a waterbuck. Where would you guys think the better areas are for this and do you have any website info to contact an outfitter?
Thanks for the help.

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
Check out www.ct-safaris.com and drop me a mail. We have all the species you are after available in the best hunting area in South Africa - Limpopo.

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Drop Jim Hackiewicz (JJ Hack) who posts here a line. He hunts the Limpopo region in RSA. He'll be able to set you up for a top quality hunt. I've hunted with Jim twice in RSA and both hunts were great. He's a stand up guy. Besides a booking agent, Jim is a PH in RSA and he'll be there with you when you're hunting. That's a big plus. Several other AR members have hunted with Jim and I've never heard anything but positive comments about his operation. He is also the moderator of the African talk group on www.24hourcampfire.com so you could also reach him through that site.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
If you those are the specific trophies you have in mind, contact John Harris of Southern African Safaris. I can't find his email address at the moment, I know I have it stored in work computer but won't have access to that until tomorrow morning, but he posts here as 500nitro - you can send him a PM. He has an area a couple of hours from Durban and it holds some great Nyala and is an absolutely gorgeous area. He also has all the other species you mentioned. John puts on a great show. I will be hunting with him next year about this time.
Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should also check out Numzaan Safaris in the Limpopo. I shot very large trophies of all of the animals you have listed except the Nyala which I did not hunt but they have them running around in their camp. My Kudu scored 134+ (54+54+12+12+) and it was a free ranging one. My Waterbuck was 28-1/2and I saw a bigger one. I also helped rescued one that was in a swimming pool and was unable to get out. He was also 28-1/2. Shot a huge Warthog.

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
Aha! It just came to me - john@aim4x.co.za

John is a stand-up guy.

Good luck -

Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really apreciate the help guys. It is hrd to sort nthrough the intrnet and hope you come across a trusting company. I'm sure those that are being talked about here are good copanies. I looked at some and the info is good. I hop to also find a cocession that is fairly large as well. I don't really want to hunt on small areas and foundthe last one I huned on about as small as I want at 60 000 acres. I spent a day in one 6000 acre parcel of land for my zebra and if it was not for my wife wantting one so bad I would not have shot it because we just chased it around on foot for a couple hours until we got close enough(400 yards) for the shot. I did not really like that part and wanted something where I can see new territory now and then. I also have about 10 guys that want to go and I think I will have to bring 2 groups of guys at different times and need the bigger places to do that. I will check out the ifo you guys have given me and hope to find a place with good animals at a fair price. The last place we hunted was great for a large amount of different species but we only got 3 kudu out of the 6 of us and they were all 46" and the biggest warthog was about 6". The impalas were o.k at about 22.5 inches. We got a few big animals there but now we are a little more specific in what we want.

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
It's not easy to find tracks of land in that size in SA most of them avg. 20-50 square km.
A lot of people have a lot of concessions but they are not bordering as well. But have a look at the hunting reports that will even give a better idea of what is out there.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nube:
I hop to also find a cocession that is fairly large as well...
...and wanted something where I can see new territory now and then. I also have about 10 guys that want to go and I think I will have to bring 2 groups of guys at different times and need the bigger places to do that.

Nube, it is unlikely that you will find private hunting concessions as large as what you are talking about in South Africa. The average size of private hunting preserves is between 2,500 and 10,000 acres and large ones would be 25,000 acres.

But having said that, if you are prepared to work for your animals and hunt on foot as opposed to driving around from morning until night you can hunt for a week on on a 10,000 acre property without seeing the same landmarks twice. This would of course depend on the topography of the land i.e. whether the land is flat or mountainous.

Our property in the mountains outside Ellisras (Lephalale) is not game fenced but is famous for the large numbers of free ranging Kudu and Bushbuck. And as mentioned by 404 my concession in Northern Kwa Zulu Natal has excellent Nyala on it in very good numbers.

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of free roaming. I just did not like hunting the one day on a small 5 or 6 thousand acre chunk for my zebra. It just felt like I chased itaround for a couple hours and shot it. There were only 2 on the place and it was not hard to find them and they were pretty much a giimme. I like the fact that the places you hunt are thicker bush. Where I was it was pretty open places. That would make a big difference for sure.

one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Nube,

I, my teenage daughters and my wife hunted with John Harris, Southern Africa Safaris, this past June. I have known John for 7 years and consider him a very good friend. He has always put on some great hunts and bailed me out of two trips that could have been failures. John's concession is loaded with nyala and contains all the other game you are interested in. His concession is low fence, rugged and beautiful. John will put on a very good hunt for you. Plus you are just minutes from the Indian Ocean and can enjoy a day at the beach if you wish.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote