Tools

Oh no, U.N. condemns Zimbabwe
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
U.N. Condemns Zimbabwe for Bulldozing Urban Slums

By WARREN HOGE
Published: July 23, 2005

UNITED NATIONS, July 22 - The United Nations on Friday condemned the mass destruction of urban slums and shantytowns in Zimbabwe by the government of President Robert G. Mugabe as a "disastrous venture," saying the policy had left 700,000 people homeless and created a "humanitarian crisis of immense proportions."

In a toughly worded report, the United Nations demanded that the activity be stopped immediately, that compensation and assistance be arranged for victims and that the leaders of the campaign be prosecuted.

In an accompanying statement that called the report "profoundly distressing," Secretary General Kofi Annan said, "I call on the government to stop these forced evictions and demolitions immediately, and to ensure that those who orchestrated this ill-advised policy are held fully accountable for their actions."

Mr. Annan said the United Nations would "urgently" seek agreement with Mr. Mugabe's government in Harare, the Zimbabwean capital, to mobilize assistance "on the scale that is required to avert further suffering." He urged the government to recognize the state of emergency and give free access to international aid workers.

Zimbabwe's foreign minister, Simbarashe Mumbengegwi, told a news conference in Harare that the report, which was made available to the government on Wednesday, was hostile, biased and wrong. "The report described the operation in vastly judgmental language which clearly demonstrates its inbuilt bias against the operation," he said.

The government campaign, which began without warning on May 19, has resulted in the bulldozing of shacks, workshops and market stalls across Zimbabwe's urban centers, with the evicted people robbed of their livelihoods and forced to withstand winter weather in tents, makeshift shelters and transit camps.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/23/international/africa/...094&partner=homepage

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What a racket. Mugabe bulldozes slums, Annan talks about the need "to mobilize assistance" and more aid will come in to be siphoned -off to private coffers.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
It would seem that Bob does indeed have this figured out...to increase foreign aid, make my people suffer! UN bleeding hearts will rush in with food and shelter. They won't condemn Bob personally though! He and Kofi are countrymen after all! What does "urgently seek agreement" mean?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwanamrm- Bob and Kofi are hardly countrymen- we just gave Kofi's son the contract to build our new international airport in Harare...and are too broke to finish paying for it, so urgently need some cash so we can settle up Big Grin

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Ganyana,
And this would be the same son of Kofi caught in the "Oil for Food" Iraq scandal with his hand in the cookie jar so to speak??? Now building international airports for Zim??? My oh my, he does get around! Big Grin

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
May,June,and July and now Bob's made the un mad.
Oh,he is in hot water now. We all know how dangerous the un can be. thumbdown

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont think Kofi is any better than Mugabe , he is just able to insulate himself a little better from the corruption. The stupid bastard doesnt even know when he stolen enough ten times over, sound familiar???????????????

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, if you don't pay off Kobi's son, you'll certainly catch hell. What a bunch of low lifes.