THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Elephant tusks and Black Rhino mount at auction

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elephant tusks and Black Rhino mount at auction
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted
First time I've ever seen elephant tusks for sale. Description says the elephant was bagged in 1957. There's also a Black Rhino shoulder mount and some other interesting Africa taxidermy. The interesting stuff runs from item #386 thru #410.

http://www.invaluable.com/cata...SD7UBE&shw=100&row=1

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought that was against the law at least as it relates to the tusks . Am I wrong ?

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I thought that was against the law at least as it relates to the tusks . Am I wrong ?

Larry - ivory before a date - I think it's 1976 is private personal property that can be sold.

Every gun show in orlando has a table for a guy looking to buy ivory to make pistol grips.

Also you can see it engraved in some high end antique stores on west 57 street in NYC.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is correct (exact date not withstanding)
I bought recently a couple of very nice Knives with handles from "Pre-Ban Ivory" as it's known and sold as.
Done in Estate Auctions...
How does anyone really know by the way?????
Thats the real question....
Should I put my Ivory in a Family sale and make a ton???
Sell it for the cost of a new hunt?

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Labman:
First time I've ever seen elephant tusks for sale. Description says the elephant was bagged in 1957. There's also a Black Rhino shoulder mount and some other interesting Africa taxidermy. The interesting stuff runs from item #386 thru #410.

http://www.invaluable.com/cata...SD7UBE&shw=100&row=1

This auction just wrapped up a few minutes ago. The elephant ivory went for $4600. It was valued in the auction at $8000 - $12,000. The tusks weighed 52 and 55 pounds.

The black rhino shoulder mount went for $8000. These prices don't include the 15% buyers fee.

Another thing that might have held down the final sales price was that these and some of the others were restricted to 'Pennsylvania residents only' due to Federal law. Is this a Lacey Act provision? Do the Lacey Act provisions only kick in once state lines are crossed?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
What if Pennsylvania resident decides to move or sell?
What, you hand it to feds?
We have entered damn near another North versus South conflict it seems, except this time the revolt will be against the Feds.
Who are these people?

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
5 years back or so we had a local hunter that ran an investment firm that ended up being a $145M ponzi. I ended up getting some duck hunting shares from the federal appointed trustee out of the auction that was liquidating the assets. Part of one of the auctions included two or three pair of tusks that were recently hunted that went up for auction. I asked the trustee if this was legal since it was obviously post ban ivory. He seamed like he did not know any of the ivory ban laws but said the sell of them had specifically been sanctioned by a Federal judge so he assumed all was well. They did end up selling them.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
If the Obama ban goes into effect- as I posted -
The 1976/1989 rules will no longer apply-

The Ivory will now be RAW not WORKED Ivory and will no longer be able to be sold interstate.

From US Gov Site

I have an elephant head with tusks that my father killed in 1949. Will I be able sell it across state lines?

No. Under the proposed revisions to the African elephant 4(d) rule, you would not be able to sell the tusks. Ivory imported as a sport-hunted trophy that does not meet the criteria for an ESA antique cannot be sold.

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is this a Lacey Act provision? Do the Lacey Act provisions only kick in once state lines are crossed? Do the Lacey Act provisions only kick in once state lines are crossed?

The administration has not yet woven this into the "regulation"

I am certain IF Mr. Obama could accomplish this in some fashion --he would-

Send your comments-
The proposed rule will publish in the Federal Register on July 29, 2015 and be open for public comment for 60 days. FWS will review and consider all comments received by September 28, 2015 before publishing a final rule. Please go to www.regulations.gov, docket no. FWS–HQ–IA–2013–0091.

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote