New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daily Rate/Observer Rate
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Would like an opinion, especially from the Outfitters and Booking Agents, on this situation: There is no other hunter or observer with you on your hunt and you take all your animals several days before the hunt is scheduled to end. Now you have several days of free time. In some cases (depending on location), you can go shopping, sight seeing etc. or if there is no place to go (remote areas), you end up just sitting around camp. My question is: should you be charged the daily rate (as if you were hunting) or should you now be charged an observer rate?

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" - Emerson

Posts: 106 | Location: Rockwall, Texas | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Giraffe Hunter
posted Hide Post
If you make an agreement or contract to hunt "x" animals and be there "x" number of days, I feel you should still have to pay the daily rate.

If you finished early and got everything you wanted you should consider it a great hunt. You could have just as easily have hunted all the days and only got half of what you wanted.

Giraffe Hunter

Posts: 286 | Location: Corning, NY | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
The outfitter charges the daily rate up until the end for a reason. Like an Elk hunt or a Moose hunt, he has a limited number of Buffalo, Elephant, Lion etc. on quota to sell. Each quota represents a certain amount of money to them. You are buying 7, 10,16 or 21 days, but in reality, you are paying the total cost so that you can harvest the main animal. If you finish early, great.

Also, you have reserved a certain number of days from the outfit. Days they can not sell to others.

I have had the guys at the Gras Ranch work out deals similar to what you suggest, but it is rare, and not to be expected from anyone.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guarentee that you will be charged the hunter rate, justifiably so. That said, I'd never just hang around camp. Hell , you're in Africa for crying out loud. Go out and observe the animals, take pictures, learn to be a better tracker, etc., etc. Opprotunities to do these things are right limited here in the states.

Posts: 322 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ramrod

In my expereince your options are leave early, continue to hunt where you are or perhaps transfer to a different area for different game.
If you are required to book 10 days for instance for a buff/plains game hunt and you shoot your buff on the first or last day you will pay the same. Yes! I think this is fair because the safari operator has to plan his hunting year with some thought to how much revenue he needs to bring in to break even. If he didn't know much he might get from each hunt he could not make a plan.

In my opinion unless you have something pressing so you have to leave early you better keep hunting since you went through all the work to get to Africa anyway.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You will be charged for the days booked, otherwise the Safari company would go broke fast...your are taking up someone elses space, someone that pays...

Now we try to accomodate you with bird hunting, fishing or whatever, but yes your going to pay for the days in camp as a hunter if you are a hunter and as an observer if that is what you are...

It could not work any other way, otherwise one might go over an shoot 10 animals a day on a two day hunt, that just does not work, it would be a scam job...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't at all disagree that you should pay the daily rate for the duration of the hunt you scheduled. On my 3 African trips to day, I have always paid the full rate and never expected otherwise. My motivation to ask came from another thread about "pickup" charges and their was some varying opinions on that issue. Something said there made me think, perhaps my question might vary from one company to another. All points made to my question are well recieved and understood. Thanks for the responses.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" - Emerson

Posts: 106 | Location: Rockwall, Texas | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my opinion if you book for ten days you pay for ten days period. Can´t buy a steak in a restaurant, eat half and expect a refund. On this issue I side with the outfitters/operators.

Observer fees again...well it all depends.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
your going to eat those days and drink a few local brews aren't you? why should the outfitter be expected to pick up your tab if you think you shouldn't need to pay for those days?
I usually keep enough money in the back of my wallet for lower priced trophy fee, ie, warthog, springbok,etc. then hunt that animal for the remainder of the trip shooting only a real big one. Once I went Tiger fish fishing for a few dollars and had a ball!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go fishing, go picture taking, shoot more animals....

Darn, you are spending the cash, have fun.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote