New
Find
Notify
Tools

LOADS FOR CULL HUNT
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Next July I’ll do my first and probably last (due to my age) hunting trip to South Africa. For budget reasons I chose a reduction hunt package: 1 Nyala, 1 Striped Wildebeest, 2 Impalas ,1 Warthog.
I possess: 1 Weatherby Vanguard Sub MOA in 7 mm Rem. Mag., 1 Voere Titan in 7x64 and one CZ 550 Carbine (Mannlicher style) in 30.06.
I am a bit reluctant to use the 7 R.M., being the rifle accurate but long, fitted with muzzle brake (it seems that PH don’t like the device) and tested only with light bullets (Barnes TTSX 140 grs).
The 7x64 as well is tested only with 140 grs (Nosler Partition and Hornady SST).
The 30.06 is well proven with Sierra HPBT 165 grs, with outstanding accuracy (3 shots one hole at 100 m). Due to bullet weight and short barrel (20 in.) the MV is limited to 760 m/s (2493 fps).
According to the agent the area is covered with vegetation and shots are never taken beyond 200 m.

Questions to colleagues with more African experience.
1. Is the Sierra suitable for the planned game, with special reference to the Wildebeest?
2. If not which other bullet is suggested?
3. Which bullets are suggested for the 7x64 and for the a.m. game?

Many thanks in advance.

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Any of your three rifles will work. The 140 TTSX will work fine. Most PH's do hate muzzle brakes and I agree with them. Looks like your 7x64 is all set up with the Nosler Partitions. I'm a big fan of Hornady bullets, but I think the SST is to fragile for Wildebeest.

Your 30/06 with 165's will also work well but I'd suggest a premium bullet like the Nosler Partition, Nosler Accubond, TTSX, Aframe etc.

If you don't want to use a premium bullet in your 06 just take the 7x64. If you decide to take your 7 mag. bring an extra pair of earmuffs for your PH.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2329 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your 30/06 with 165's will also work well but I'd suggest a premium bullet like the Nosler Partition, Nosler Accubond, TTSX, Aframe etc.

tu2

Posts: 225 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 08 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
fitted with muzzle brake (it seems that PH don’t like the device)

Those PH's are smart guys and they are not alone with this dislike.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your 30-06 will do fine but I would use a Nosler Accubond

Member NRA, NFA,CSSA,DSC,SCI,AFGA

Posts: 266 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will third the 30-06. I load 180 Accubonds in that caliber for 30-06 in Africa.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
30-06, 180 grain A Frames.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .30-06 will work with all of those, but I would rather get a heavier bullet or go to a monometal at that weight. A simple 165 cup and core will probably not hold up to a wildebeest shoulder.

To me, both of your 7mms would be just fine with the TTSX or the partition loads. While PH's don't like muzzle brakes, they really don't like bad shooting more...

The SST bullet is pretty soft, so I would not use that on wildebeest But otherwise none of the critters you listed would be an issue, assuming reasonable shot selection.

If the 7 mag is the most accurate, I would take it. Really, none of your choices are bad choices.

Posts: 11030 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tend to avoid the monometals at the top end of the range due to a lack of speed. At least the ttsx's need some good smack to perform properly. I haven't tried the e-tip.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
The 3006 will work perfectly.

If you go with something like Accubonds I would go 180gr.

If you want a monometal I use the 150gr Barnes TTSX with one shot kills of plains game to the Waterbok and Zebra size game.

Once you know what caliber and load to bring to come and hunt make sure you practice a lot with the load on the range especially shooting from sticks.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Off topic, but what the heck is "striped" wildebeest?

Posts: 391 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Somebody calls "striped" the blue wildebeest.

posted Hide Post
I shot Red Hartebeest with my .309 JDJ using 165 Speer Grand Slams. It did just fine, so should your .30-06.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jvw375:
Off topic, but what the heck is "striped" wildebeest?

Likely "brindled" with a some leeway for translation.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote