THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What do you think about this for shooting leopard?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think about this for shooting leopard?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted
All you guys who have shot from blinds for cats...

What do you think about this platform? I was thinking about taking 2 regular V Bog Pod tripods for front and back of gun, but they came out with this. I think it should work pretty well, and it seems quite stable. I think it is going to be great for the kids this fall on deer too.

I don't have the gun strapped down in the photos (and probably wouldn't in field), but there are velcro straps to strap it in for even more stability. Thoughts?

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plenty fine for the job Tim. I usually just stick the gun out of the hole when its time to shoot, but did use a similar set-up once, and liked it too. Your only shooting 50-80 yards on average, don't over think it. Good luck.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It should be plenty steady. However, i would worry about getting close enough to the port.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
I think it looks awesome, still need to support off elbow. The tripod may interfere with the ability to put an elbow support in the blind by not being able to get it close to the side.

Looks very steady.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3528 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks good. I prefer to have the rifle in position in the port, more or less sighted on the bait so movement is reduced. Your setup looks like it would beat a forked stick rest!
Good luck, Craig

Posts: 265 | Location: central california | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Craig,

That was my thinking, set it up with the bait in the scope, and then just let it ride.

Larry, it will swivel on the bipod, so you don't have to have a leg in front, I think putting it in a good position to get out the port should be simple.

Steve,

I do like that right elbow supported, and I will have to work that out.

The whole thing does really feel quite steady and is surprisingly light...

Aaron...I don't have enough brains to overthink it! Big Grin I do want to be steady and prepared if I ever get the shot that never seems to happen for me...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The steadiness of that tripod setup is fine Tim. But there are two drawbacks to such a locked down sled rest. In the event the cat doesn't go directly to the bait, or let's say decides to turn around on the branch to reposition himself and sit away from the bait. If your aiming point if fixed at a certain spot, and the cat is not there, you must move the gun to the angle that allows you to make a lethal shot.

And if that tripod's carriage sled squeaks when you attempt to adjust the rifle or the velcro straps make that scratching noise, that's just enough audio to alert the cat of your presence and he'll jump out of the tree.

Furthermore take a look at your top photo. There's a potential issue with your feet (size 12's right?) accidentally nudging one of the legs, causing unwanted noise in the blind as well. Trying to sit steady during a 2-hour stakeout is never easy. I find myself slowly repositioning my feet every fifteen minutes or so, because I'm so antsy. If you accidentally nudge one of those legs with your boot, it can be just enough noise to send the cat off in another direction, let's say if he's on approach to the tree.

But if you wear those Teva's...that just might minimize the noise. But on the other hand, you'll be slapping the ants and tsetses as they get intimate with your toes. And that's not good either.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Marc,

All good points...so what is optimum for a rest in a blind?

The head on this thing does swivel, and I would not velcro it down, but I am interested in better alternatives...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the traditional port window/peep hole rest. A loop of string can be attached to the frame of the blind on the right side. You slide your arm through the loop and it acts as an elbow rest.

Kitty comes in tree. You ease your rifle through the opening using both arms/hands. Once it's resting on the peep hole, you reach your arm through the loop of string on your right (opposite if you're a southpaw like Craig).
and bring your finger to the trigger. When your trackers build the blind, these particulars are all sorted out based on your height in the chair.

Kitty comes in tree. You drop him like a bad bucktooth girlfriend. Game over. You walk up to the dead cat. Do your on-camera wraparounds. We see the edited version on TV. It's the most difficult easiest shot you'll ever execute on safari.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Everyone does it their own way, but for me, assuming it's completely firm, It could certainly be incorporated into the blind.

I like to give the shooter a rock steady rest with elbow support so the shooter arrives in the blind, puts the rifle in the rest which has been pre built so the rifle points absolutely at where the cat is expected to be when he's shot.

That way, there's no rifle barrels waving about and as little movement as possible inside the blind when the cat is there and all the client has to do is just lean forward into the rifle, slip the safety catch off and squeeze the trigger.

On a slightly different subject, I reckon the most common mistake in blind building is the number of people who don't put a roof on it. Without that, even the slightest glimmer of star and/or moonlight can shine down into the blind and the cat can see through the wall of the blind much easier.

Put a good thick roof on and it reduces the chances of that happening dramatically. tu2

I also like to ensure not much rifle barrel sticks out of the blind. I either position the shooter back from the wall of the blind or thicken the outside of the blind with extra bushes etc.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Hey Tim,

In all honesty, I believe the more "stuff" in the blind the better the chance that something will make noise, and as Marc noted, Chui doesn't always cooperate and you may need to reposition for the shot. I prefer braces built into the blind made from the same sticks used to frame it. If accidentally bumped the sound is more natural. An elbow rest need only consist of a crossmember placed at the correct hight and the rifle rest can be another stick across the front of the shooting hole at the correct height. I always wear a green bandana in the bush and have used these to tie around the rifle rest stick both as a reference and to silent any noise as I bring my rifle into position.

Good luck with whatever method you use. It took me 3 safaris and many cold nights to get my first Leopard, whereas my partner seems to shoot them whenever he wants, including at mid-day!

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim,
That looks like waaayyy too much "stuff".
Re-read Sable Trail and Shakari's replies.
Show up with your rifle, and the ability to shoot it accurately @ 75-100 yds...then let the pro's on-site set you up if you want to snipe a cat from inside a blind.

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tim,

I think the rest is a great idea as I'm sure it will give you a rock steady rest. I like the idea that you will not have the movement of pushing the gun out through the peephole to shoot possibly attracting the tom's attention. If you get set up and all is comfy well before the leopard comes you need only to lean into the rifle and shoot. I think the rig will take up quite a bit of room in the blind but you'll have plenty of time to get all set when your building the blind. As Steve suggested a solid rest for your right arm works great and does make you even more steady. A pole running from front to back attached to the blind framework works nicely to put your elbow on. Also if your barrel is going to be sticking out of the blind you might want to consider some camo tape on the metal.

Good luck,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13006 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good idea!

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2091 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim
Kim Hicks sent me the same set and my first thought was " perfect for leopard " after setting it up I feel even more strongly that it will be fantastic in the blind. We shoot a LOT of leopards, and have experimented with several types and brands of rests and I think the Bog-Pod set up you have will be a very wise addition to the blind. This unit does swivel and allows for quiet movement if the cat offers a shot not directly over the bait so no problem there at all . Set the legs into a position where you will not bump it when you lean in for your shot and you will be just fine. If you watch our TV shows or caught our Boddington On Leopard DVD you will se a similar, but much heaver set up being used. It worked like a champ, but this unit is lighter and will work just as well if not better. Bog Pod is not a sponsor of ours but Kim is a old hunting buddy and friend of many years and he builds one hell of a good product and this set up may be his best idea to date. Good luck on your cat hunt Tim.

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does it swivel?

Posts: 10359 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dc - Tim mentioned it swivels. See post above.

Tim, I have used this basic set up for things other than Leopard with great results. As mentioned just set the legs so you don't bump them, take a little time to play around with the set up and I know you will like it. There is no such thing as being tooooo steady when the shot comes no matter what the yardage or game involved. Good luck.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
There is no such thing as being tooooo steady when the shot comes no matter what the yardage or game involved. Good luck.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Very true!! Problem is I'm too stupid to know better, so I just lean the gun up against the blind, and stick it out the hole when its time to shoot. Guess that shows ya how smart I am?

Good luck Tim! Are you sure you can't hunt Oct. 29 - Nov. 2?????

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I find this set up a bit more stable and a little less likely to get knocked about when moving in the blind than the one Tim posted since the tripod is a bit more in front and to the side of the hunter. The rear rest is easily adjusted to fit under the butt (not at the pistol grip as shown), and I, of course, remove the sling before use.

I've shot m.o.a. groups with this arrangement. Note the retaining clips on the far leg. The whole thing weighs little and folds up to fit in a back pack. I'll be taking it with me to Africa in September (but will be leaving the leather chair in my office).

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ernest,

That looks solid and handy but if you have to move your aiming point will you still be able to use the buttstock support without some serious fiddling?

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 13006 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
It's no problem if you need some up and down or lateral. What I do (and have done while successfuly hunting deer in open areas and a pop-up blind) is to use the tripod as I would shooting sticks by placing my left hand under the forend resting on the front "v" with my right wrist in the back "V". I can then, still with solid support, move the gun to shoot in a 10 diameter ft or so circle at 50 yards. If the leopard won't go up the tree, or whatever, I still and have at least the front part of the tripod for support.

Ain't missed yet at distances 4 or 5 times leopard ranges, and I dang sure hope I can keep up the batting average come mid-September in Chete!

I've never liked resting the forend, barrel or the stock on something hard.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge - Why not take the chair along? Looks like a comfy way to spend the long hours usually endured while waiting for spots to show. It would also beat those plastic or canvas things they have you set on around the fire at night. Wink Maybe it would have some "trade" value with the local chief in return for some special access to the big ones?

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
I find this set up a bit more stable and a little less likely to get knocked about when moving in the blind than the one Tim posted since the tripod is a bit more in front and to the side of the hunter. The rear rest is easily adjusted to fit under the butt (not at the pistol grip as shown), and I, of course, remove the sling before use.

I've shot m.o.a. groups with this arrangement. Note the retaining clips on the far leg. The whole thing weighs little and folds up to fit in a back pack. I'll be taking it with me to Africa in September (but will be leaving the leather chair in my office).

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
No drink holder for my single malt or ash tray for my cigar, that's why. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
it looks good to me Tim
only you can decide if it is stable enough----have you put some pressure on it??--leaned on it --simulated shooting etc.
my only question is--won't the PH have a rest set-up for you anyway? or are you looking to use this set up for other things too?

good luck on mister spots tu2

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Tim with two cats to my credentials I would just
move the legs thru the blind to put the gun forward.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

That's a great idea as the scope should probably be just inside the blind.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man I should have spotted that imperfection immediately. Oh, well guess you wll have to make due with one of the WalMart special drink holder fold up nylon chairs afterall.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
No drink holder for my single malt or ash tray for my cigar, that's why. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
for those of you that think hunting a leopard with dogs is not sporting or ethical, what makes shooting a stationary target in a tree at 50-75 yards from a rock solid rest more difficult or ethical? i think the pictured set up will work just fine( in fact the shot should be a no-brainer)but i am a little confused about the people who criticize other methods. just a thought. stir

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13393 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
for those of you that think hunting a leopard with dogs is not sporting or ethical, what makes shooting a stationary target in a tree at 50-75 yards from a rock solid rest more difficult or ethical? i think the pictured set up will work just fine( in fact the shot should be a no-brainer)but i am a little confused about the people who criticize other methods. just a thought.

If you want to go down that road jdollar, it's probably best to start a new thread. Tim is merely seeking opinion on the tripod setup, even in fact suggesting it might be used later for some youth deer hunts. Many solid opinions have been provided for Tim, and I think it's best to stay on topic.

In closing let me add baiting is used for lions, leopards and crocodiles. There's a preponderance of evidence that suggests this form of take has been widely accepted by the safari hunting community, since the inception of dangerous game hunting in Africa. I'm sure there's no shortage of opinion on this board regarding your thought. There are probably other threads in the past, Kathi could probably find some in her memory bank, that highlight the differences and distinctions.

Finally, regarding hunting ethics, the overwhelming perception from this board is that as long as it's legal it's OK. That's not to say we can't have different opinions. But if it's within the bounds of the law, how can one hunter tell another that his hunting method is unethical? Don't get crazyhorse started again!

Happy Hunting,

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Tim,

My $0.02, just let Buzz and Criton build the blind and deal with the rifle rest. I have sat in multiple blinds built by them for leopard, lion and croc and trust me, they know what they are doing. They are going to have a supported porthole that is on the bait and set according to your height sitting in a chair, a cross brace for your right elbow (assuming you are right handed) and a support for the butt stock. It is a very stable set up. And it will all be done without a bunch of tripod legs in the blind that folks can kick, trip over, etc. Again, just my $0.02.

Mike

Posts: 21681 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Mike:

You're right about letting the P.H. do what he does best.

I'm not second guessing Lou Hallamore, of course. He (surprise) knows a thing or two about building blinds and what works for clients. He has his own rest set-up that consists of a folding table, a folding chair and a commercial gun rest. I've spent many a sweaty hour using it.

I'm taking my tripod in September in case we're working two blinds or have to use Lou's pop-up blind if we are in a hurry. For instance, we glassed a bait we could see from a hillside last year about 3:00 p.m. and a leopard had hit it since the morning. It would have been nice to have been able to get a blind up with a good rest in 10 minutes or so, instead of waiting until the next morning.

I sent him a picture of the tripod with butt rest and he in on board.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nganga:
I think it looks awesome, still need to support off elbow. The tripod may interfere with the ability to put an elbow support in the blind by not being able to get it close to the side.

Looks very steady.

Steve

Very good point. I always want a rest for my elbow.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
for those of you that think hunting a leopard with dogs is not sporting or ethical, what makes shooting a stationary target in a tree at 50-75 yards from a rock solid rest more difficult or ethical? i think the pictured set up will work just fine( in fact the shot should be a no-brainer)but i am a little confused about the people who criticize other methods. just a thought. stir

Jdollar, Don't know if you have ever sat for hours in a blind, in the dark waiting, hoping for a leopard. This is not an animal you want to wound and follow up. Took me 5 trips accross the pond to get my first one.
There is a bit more to it than your comment lends itself too.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:

Dollar,
Here's a Capstick quote about leopard hunting I find very appropriate

“The cross hairs twitch and throb across the mottled expanse of shoulder as you draw your shooting breath, refusing to settle down. Hairy worms are crawling in your stomach and the back of your hands prickle with panic. Why won’t the damn thing hold still? Your eyes blur and your mouth tastes like copper sulphate and secondhand cigar butts”. Peter Capstick

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3528 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote