Find
Notify
Tools

Relief from a heavy DG Rifle..
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi Guys:

I am putting this in this forum because most of my DG rifles are HEAVY.. Roll Eyes

My buddy who I was hunting with last fall said to me, you gotta try this sling.... He handed me a Remington 760 Gamemaster with a 3X9 Leupold scope, the weight of this rifle I know well... almost 10 lbs. because I have one just like it.

We traded rifles and I slipped the 760 over my shoulder and carried it for about a half mile, the sling was a cheap streachy kind that's out on the market now. The sling gives with every bounce you take, thus makeing the rifle seem lighter than it actually is. It really works!

Today while I was trying to purchase some new ammo at Gander Mt. I came accross two streachy slings, one from Uncle Mikes with swivels, just $24.00 bucks. And I also purcahsed anouther one Allen with the (4) bullet holders built in, just $9.99. They are very light weight and feel great. thumb

I must have a dozen slings, fancy tooled leather ones with the big five, wide strap custom leather with non slip rawhide, but these cheapies sure do feel good...

What do you think...

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Jim,

I agree with you about those slings making the rifle feel lighter than it really is. I only use Vero Vellini slings on my rifles and my binoculars. They have the same effect on binoculars. I just wish the bino strap was slicker and not so grippy so it can slide around from under my arm to viewing position easier.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy crap...what a ride!"

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan's Camera City sold camera straps like that 25 years ago. You're right, they actually do make the load feel lighter.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
By stretchy do you mean "rubbery?"

I played with some at a show a few years back that felt much like a large rubber band. Didn't form much of an opinion on it, as they didn't have it on a rifle.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
All of my rifles, binoculars, and cameras have these neoprene straps on them. On my rifles, I use the Vero Vellini, and on the binos and cameras I have the ones made by Optolyth.

The Vero Vellini slings were purchased at Cabela's, and the Optolyth straps I bought at Dan's Camera City in Allentown,Pa.

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I think you are refering to the newer Neoprene slings. I have several and will never go back to a leather sling after using them. I even adapted one to work on my M16 when I deployed last. A couple of guys tried it out and soon we had them adapted for my M249 gunners also. They really make a difference at the end of a long day of carrying a rifle around.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Bob:

By streachy I mean like elastic. The one I just bought is by Butler Creek, it has Uncle Mike QD Super Swivels sewn right in. Has a non slip grip pad stays snugly on your shoulder. It has a quick adjustment no messing around with clumsy buckles and fasteners. One hundred percent American made, and I copied this right off the tag.. Wink

If anybody is interested you can check them out at www.butlercreek.com

Like I said there are more than a few brands out there. I know what my 12lb 458 lott will be wearing next year, and it's not the tooled custom leather sling... well maybe around the campfire.. Razzer

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
PA, I looked at their site. Could you narrow it down a bit?

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My slings are for shooting as well as carrying, so I will never own one of those neoprene jobs regardless of how heavy a rifle is.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HP Shooter:
My slings are for shooting as well as carrying, so I will never own one of those neoprene jobs regardless of how heavy a rifle is.

If that is the case, then you better not get a DGR with the front sling swivel on the barrel, and if your rifle has much recoil you better watch where you place your hand on the forstock! A sling is not necessary for accurate shooting on a BIG BORE rifle used for Dangerous game, and unless the rifle is set up properly they are a henderance to accuracy on any rifle!

For a true big bore, used for what big bores are made for, the "SLING" is simply a carry strap, and is not needed for actual shooting!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MAC37, I couldn't agree more. My last trip to Africa was in Tanzania. Of the things I brought, the three things the PH really liked were the Surfire M3 Combat with the big head and the storm light battery storage case, the Inova microlight that we all wore on a necklace and was instantly available at night, and the Viro Vanelli sling. He carried his 416 Ruger Rigby a lot and when he used it on some of our longish trecks he liked it a lot! They all reside somewhere in Africa now.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Although I carry a 7/8" sling in my day pack, I have never used it on my big bores...When a shot presents itself I take it, no time for slings..

I do have one of those Vellini bouncy slings, used it once in Idaho and it was a little too up and downy for me... thumbdown

If I use a sling at all it will be when I'm dragging a deer or whatever to the pickup or carrying several guns while someone else drags or packs them out....

I like a shooting sling, but they are really too slow and I can shoot just as well without them for the most part.

Guess what I'm saying is for myself I can do without a sling for hunting...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark65x55:
PA, I looked at their site. Could you narrow it down a bit?

Hi Mark: go to www.butlercreek.com click on Swivels ans Slings.... then click on Slings.. then click on Cumfort Strech Slings..then click on Buttler Creek Cumfort Strech... four differnt colors and styles are shown for $22.00...

In Africa I am usually shooting off sticks or just off hand, I never wrap up in a military sling, and yes I have used this stance in the past.

If you want to use a sling for the wrap around shooting position for your DG rifle please be my guest, the SUGGESTION is for an inexpensive sling that helps reduce fatigue carrying a 10, 11, or 12 pound rifle.

You don't like slings, don't use them, you want a military wrap around stance use a slim military sling, you want to be a cool Bwana, use a custom tooled wide leather engraved sling, or if you just don't give a shit and want that heavy rifle to feel a little lighter at less than the cost of one shot of a factory 470 NE cartridge try the strechy sling. thumb

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
MacD37, Now I know my MacMillan stocked CZ in .416 Rigby may not be set up "properly" because the front sling swivel is on the stock and not on the barrel, but I do use a Ching Safari Sling on it and it does let me steady up better than some of shooting sticks I've shot off. I only carry one rifle when I'm hunting and think this set-up lets me take a longer scope sighted shot at non DG as well as Buff. The 416 doesn't recoil enough to make the stock mounted swivel stud a problem for me. My shots from kneeling and sitting positions, and even when there is a handy tree trunk, are much more accurate when I'm slinged. I don't take long shots from an unsupported standing position as a rule as I'm not a good enough shot in this position for anything over 150 yards.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
My .416 Remington Magnum weighs 12 pounds. I've used the one from Butler Creek for many, many years. Won't be without it.

If you understand the difference between riding a "hard tail" and a "soft tail" Harley, you'll understand why this kind of sling makes an improvement in lessening fatigue.

Russ

The doing of unpleasant deeds calls for people of an unpleasant nature.

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Russell:

Hey man I LOVE your comparison about the Harley hard tail & soft tails. You couldn't get a bigger difference in rides, just like you get a big difference in the carrying sensation in the different slings.

As a matter of fact I have been riding Harleys for the past 37 years... No more hard tails for this ol boy Wink

Now I stick with my Dresser and two Custom Deuces, one for me and one for my wife. All with plenty of shock travel for a smoother ride.

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Thanks for the tip. I am going to order one of these and give it a try.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I think those rubber or nylon slings are about as useless as teats on a side of bacon, and any form of Cobra sling is just as bad. Boonie Packer's horizontal carry contraption is a disfunctional joke. Slings are for so much more than just carrying the rifle around.

For my purposes, slings must be made of real leather, and they must double as honest shooting slings. My contemporary favorite is Brownell's 'Latigo', and my old favorites include the Lawrence Model 88, as well as Jack O'Connor's favorite, the 'Whelen'-type semi-military sling with lacing on one end and a single claw hook on the other.

AD

one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
My Safari Ching Sling was intended for heavy DG rifles with a 2" width and designed to provide shooting support as well.

Of course, it is not suitable for rifles with barrel band sling swivels or comparable attachments on the barrel, as tension on the sling will affect point of impact.

Safari Ching Sling

---
Eric Ching
"The pen is mightier than the sword...except in a swordfight."

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I started using the Butler Creek neoprene sling back in 1991; it has been a Godsend when climbing hills.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote