Find
Notify
Tools

Cape Buffalo Hunting Poll
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Question:
Here is the deal, you are on the last day of your African safari. It is your first Safari.
You are hunting with you big bore double. You are hunting with mrlexma.
Suddenly you find yourself 20 yards from the exact twin to the buff in the 42.5 inch buff thread.
What do you do.

Choices:
Pass on the buff, go home without.
Shoot the buff with both barrels.
Shoot the buff with the right barrel shoot mrlexma with the left.
Shoot mrlexma with the right barrell, shoot the buff with the left.
Shoot mrlexma with both barrels.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about shooting the buff with the right barrel, then shoot myself with the left, 'cause I can't stand the shame? Big Grin Big Grin

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by McCray:
How about shooting the buff with the right barrel, then shoot myself with the left, 'cause I can't stand the shame? Big Grin Big Grin[/QUOTE

roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Being very honest I've got a lot to learn about choosing a buf ... not the least of which is why that is a poor specimen. I'd have most likely shot it and not known that it was undesirable.

TIA for all comments on choosing a good buf on future threads!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents,

Trophies are in the eye of the beholder the same as beauty. To degrade this gentleman's experience with all this arguement is just petty and wrong.

I personally have gone home without a buffalo, lion or whatever because I did not see what I personally considered a trophy. That does not mean my standards should be universal.

It seems paricularly lately here on AR that in our rush to share our knowledge and experience people have forgotten about being sportsman.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13012 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
I would shoot the buffalo and have my taxidermist...umm....work on the boss. Wink I think that happens more often than you would imagine.

In all honesty, you might want to remove the part about mrlexma. It is in bad taste, IMHO.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy crap...what a ride!"

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Longbob
Now, don't you go and start judging the trophy quality mrlexma might have to other AR members. Big Grin

It is all in jest. Sometimes things just get too serious and nasty.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's funny Tony!

Lindsay laughed out loud when she read this one!

Hope to see you tomorrow.

Jim

Posts: 134 | Location: dallas,tx | Registered: 29 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gal
Give me a call tommorrow. It looks I can make it.
About what time?

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I think it all depends on a lot of things what one might do! If it is his first Safari, depending on his fanancial ststus, and his age, this may be the only Safari he will ever be able to make. You understand that a lot of guys never make it to Africa till they are in their sixties, and maybe a retirement hunt, that their, now fixed income, negates any further safaris. IMO, for this guy, a 37" Bull that is still a little soft is a quite reasonable trophy. Just take a lot of good pictures of the boss area, so the Taxidermist can duplicate exactly what you shot, after the boil. The other thing is a young guy who is on his first, may simply want reprosentative head, and he is paying the bills.

As someone said earlier, calling this guy on the carpit is a little like asking him why he didn't hold out for a better wife!

I simply think it is extremely bad manners to second guess this guy's choice, when you didn't contribute one dime to his Safari. If one just has to say something, then I believe it would be far more pollite to simply say, "he wouldn't be my choice, but that's not my call on your hunt!" Who made us the quality police, for others? IMO, opinion, this string may have destroyed this mans ONCE IN A LIFETIME DREAM!

................THIS IS A SHAME!...........
thumbdown

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This buffalo bashing is really bad form. What someone chooses to shoot is their business as long as it is legal. I would like the critics to post pictures of their trophies so we could take pot shots. I have friends who have made 5 trips for leopard without luck. I'm certainly not going to criticize them if they shoot a female. They have paid their dues. Congratulations on a nice buffalo! End of discussion!!!!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac,

I don't want to second guess any guy's choice about whether to shoot or not shoot a particular animal. However, there are some hunts that are sold as trophy hunts which have a very low or zero probability of generating a mature animal, and probably those hunts should never have been sold in the first place. That is my only concern.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
The Ph can advise and say it is a soft boss but let client make his decision...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MARK H YOUNG and MacD37

As you and everyone else can see, I am new to this form and have made very few posts. But
I am in whole heart agreement whith both of your comments. I have noticed on other occasions that some members have been very critial of others, I will not mention any names as I am sure they, and everyone else knows who they are. They seem to believe that they are the worlds experts on every subject and topic. As I stated, I am a new member, and maybe should not voice an opinion. If I have angered the membershp here as a whole, I offer my apology here and now.

I was of the opinion that this form was to give information and help and help others, not critize.

Thank You

Mauser Rifle

Every day is a great day, some are just better than others!

Mauser Rifle

Everyday is a great day, some days are just better than others!

Posts: 47 | Location: USA | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of laredo kid
posted Hide Post
I know Don Bass personaly and I like him as a friend but is a old cuss like Ray , Will and Mac- so he can be a little politicaly incorrect him self! Don is a retired junior high coach who has had knee replacement-he worked every day for six weeks on his east TEXAS farm-fixing fence-clearing brush and ect. in the extreme heat so he would in shape for this hunt!! I would say he is hardcore! And he already put a deposit on lepord hunt. Oh I almost forgot he also went white water rafting @ Vic Falls so I guess he did it up right! I think he got his buff on day 6.

Posts: 159 | Location: Pasadena Texas | Registered: 18 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Longbob
Now, don't you go and start judging the trophy quality mrlexma might have to other AR members. Big Grin

It is all in jest. Sometimes things just get too serious and nasty.

Fire away if you feel the need. Big Grin

I learned a long time ago that if you're gonna dish it out, you'd better be able to take it. thumb

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13642 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'd shoot it, especially if it's a 'last day buff' on my first safari.

This is my first buff, shot in the Matetsi:

I think it was 36" outside spread, and after the clusterfuck of a safari I had, it was a very welcome trophy.

The one below is 43 3/8".

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mix3006
posted Hide Post
NE your a hard man!! If I'm gunna be in a trench, I want you next to me!!

Imagine going on safari with MR, I reckon that the PH would only call an "inappropriate" beast once and MR would be all over him like a rash.
You wouldn't have to worry about it happening twice.

But if I had to go home with nothing, I can bloody well assure you that MR would regret having to sit next to a wailing,headbanging,jibbering mess!!

Posts: 191 | Location: Wollongong NSW Australia | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
If someone could crop that ogre out on the left in that buffalo picture, it would be a WHOLE lot better trophy photo. Wink

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy crap...what a ride!"

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MacD37 wrote:
quote:
I think it all depends on a lot of things what one might do! If it is his first Safari, depending on his fanancial ststus, and his age, this may be the only Safari he will ever be able to make. You understand that a lot of guys never make it to Africa till they are in their sixties, and maybe a retirement hunt, that their, now fixed income, negates any further safaris. IMO, for this guy, a 37" Bull that is still a little soft is a quite reasonable trophy. Just take a lot of good pictures of the boss area, so the Taxidermist can duplicate exactly what you shot, after the boil. The other thing is a young guy who is on his first, may simply want reprosentative head, and he is paying the bills.

As someone said earlier, calling this guy on the carpit is a little like asking him why he didn't hold out for a better wife!

I simply think it is extremely bad manners to second guess this guy's choice, when you didn't contribute one dime to his Safari. If one just has to say something, then I believe it would be far more pollite to simply say, "he wouldn't be my choice, but that's not my call on your hunt!" Who made us the quality police, for others? IMO, opinion, this string may have destroyed this mans ONCE IN A LIFETIME DREAM!

................THIS IS A SHAME!...........

That is such a good post it needs to be read again.

There has been and should be a lot of discussion on what is or isn't a good buff trophy, but in this case it was handled very badly. And not just by Mrlexma.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Don't worry, McCray, you'll be in the best of hands and this will not happen to you.

As for how to handle the discussion . . . you do it your way and I'll do it mine. I stand by every word I've said in the buffalo thread. If I had some of it to say over again, I might not have allowed myself to be provoked by others' remarks and might have been a little more temperate, but the substance would have been and will ever be the same.

Anyone who says he hasn't stood in judgment of another man's trophy is a liar. We do it all the time. Most people are just not willing, or too polite, to say anthing about a sub-par trophy when doing so might hurt somebody's feelings.

If your skin is so thin that you can't be criticized, then stay home and lock the doors, and sure as hell don't post trophy pictures, and claim bragging rights, when the trophy in question is not up to snuff.

Too many people here are too often too concerned about too many things to dare to tell the truth, especially when doing so might hurt some poor soul's feelings.

I'm not and won't be one of those people. So keep firing away--and feel free to use both barrels if it pleases you! Big Grin Razzer

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13642 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
Shoot NE 450 with both.....

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
I'd shoot it, especially if it's a 'last day buff' on my first safari.

This is my first buff, shot in the Matetsi:

I think it was 36" outside spread, and after the clusterfuck of a safari I had, it was a very welcome trophy.

The one below is 43 3/8".

George

George, get a new hat....please...yikes.... Roll Eyes

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's GeorgeS's trademark Groucho look.

Cool Cool Big Grin Big Grin Razzer Razzer

Lo do they call to me,

posted Hide Post
Those are two DIFFERENT hats, you wise guys! Razzer

Seriously, if you cannot tell the difference between two hats, how do you expect tell the difference between a trophy buff and 'bait'? Big Grin

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As they say way down South, "La mismo chingadera."

sofa

Lo do they call to me,

posted Hide Post
As they say in the Far East, 'yo' mama-san!'. jump

George

one of us
posted Hide Post
I voted to pass..but I am guilty of shooting many a soft boss bull, but when they are that big I pass if they are soft, hoping they will make maturity before someone kills them an also they will pass that gene pool on to a lot of cows.....Bulls get their full width by about 3 years old and some of thoes soft boss bulls that are 34 to 3? inches will never get any better and they should be shot...I went into detail on this in another thread on here about an hour ago....It is a practice that should be stopped but probably won't and trophy quality will suffer as a result...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42163 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George,
That hat is a little rough around the edges, the buff looks OK but the real star of that picture is the Lady on the right. Who is she???