THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Recommended hotel to stay at in Washington DC

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommended hotel to stay at in Washington DC
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My wife wants to stop in DC for three days and visit museums on the way back from hunting in Namibia. We are looking into staying at the Hamilton Crowne Plaza.

Does anybody have any recommendations on hotels and attractions?

Robert Johnson

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I like the Hay Adams, probably because it's old, but I am no expert on DC hotels. The Willard is nice.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Willard is nice and is located within a decent walk or very short cab ride of many museums. I am not familiar with the Hamilton Crowne Plaza. The Hay Adams is nice too but a bit farther from most of the museums.

Definitely wear your walking shoes, once you get to where the museums and monuments are, mostly around the mall, walking is the easiest and most enjoyable way to get around.

The NRA's National Firearms Museum is located about a half hour cab ride away (much longer during rush hours). Worth the time and trouble to me but my wife would shoot me if I dragged her there.

All of the Smithsonian Museums are worth visiting, along with the Vietnam War Memorial and the Jefferson and Lincoln Monuments.

If you look at a map, you will see that the mall runs from the Capitol to the river. Most of the museums and monuments are along the mall.

The Capitol is worth a tour. I'd pass on the Whitehouse since the wait can be long. Might want to contact your Representative or Senator to see if you can get passes, might beat the lines.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since you will be travelling with rifles, I think you should stay on the Virginia side.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to stay in the Mall area near the Smithsonian and and Washington Monument I can highly recommend the Mandarin Oriental. It's pricey but great location and super services.

"shoot quick but take your time"

Posts: 451 | Location: drummond island MI USA | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It dawned on me after my post that the rifles will be an issue, as 500 Grains notes.

Maybe you can leave them with a gun shop in Va.

For practicle purposes, no firearms are permitted in the District of Columbia.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Yeah, and there is always the friendly strip search at Dulles Airport. I found the security time consuming, of course I was wearing clothes but I did take them off since they asked. In that environment I wonder what the TSA check with rifles is like?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wont be traveling with guns.
Thanks Guys

Robert Johnson

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Hay-Adams. IMHO, it is simply the best.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do check out the Air and Space Museum. As an undergrad at Georgetown many years ago, I always celebrated the first nice day of spring by cutting all my classes and walking down Pennsylvania Ave to the Mall, and spent most of my day with rockets and planes. By the time I graduated, my grades sucked, but I have many good memories of time spent hanging around the museums and monuments. Enjoy your trip!
Oh, yeah, the Key Bridge Marriott in Roslyn was good, but I don't know if it's there any more. The Metro really makes it quite convenient to stay at a hotel away from downtown, but still get there easily and cheaply.

Posts: 281 | Location: southern Wisconsin | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wihnter,

Hmmm, small world. Georgetown is my Alma Mater. When did you graduate? I was class of '86.

JPK

Free 500grains

One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Years ago the FBI had a wonderful tour. I would recomend it if they still do it....

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JPK,

SFS '82 I realized I might be headed to official old farteddom when I got an invitation to my 25th college reunion. A job I had back in grad school was tending bar at 25th and 35th college reunions. I remember thinking how old those people looked. Of course I don't look that old!

Posts: 281 | Location: southern Wisconsin | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wihntr:
JPK,

SFS '82 I realized I might be headed to official old farteddom when I got an invitation to my 25th college reunion. A job I had back in grad school was tending bar at 25th and 35th college reunions. I remember thinking how old those people looked. Of course I don't look that old!

Yea, past 40 the decline accelerates!

JPK

Free 500grains

One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think you should stay on the Virginia side.

Yup, I liked the Crystal City Marriott back when I had to go to D.C. a lot.

There's a Metrorail station beneath it that makes it easy to get to any of the D.C. attractions.

Also, you avoid the D.C. room tax when staying in a VA hotel. Big Grin

There was a rat hunting league some Congressional staffers had going that took place on the Capitol Mall at night. Jack Russell terriers were the preffered breed, don't know if they're still at it but it was great fun. Big Grin