Find
Notify
Tools

Bad Day
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
I am reading a very enjoyable book by William York, Out in the Midday Shade. Most of the book is the story of York's elephant hunting exploits which he commenced in 1949 at the ripe old age of 16.

However, one story he relates makes my skin crawl. York was also an amateur herpetologist and one day on a trip from Mombasa to Nairobi he saw a spitting cobra cross the road. He wanted to collect the cobra and climbed down into a ravine to try and catch it. He caught up to it and captured it. Climbing out of the ravine another spitting cobra that he had not seen sprayed him from the side and the venom got through the vents in his goggles and into his left eye. Somehow he caught that cobra too and had one cobra in a bag in one hand and the other cobra in his other hand. As he proceeded to try to get back to the Land Rover with a cobra in each hand and enable to see out of his left eye, he is bite in his left arm by a boomslang. He manages to get the other cobra and the boomslang in the sack with the first cobra. Then he drives on to Nairobi, another 100 miles away. His eye clears up after several days, the boomslang bite took months to heal. Reminds me of the Daniel Powter song, Bad Day.

Of course, I have no way of knowing the veracity of the story.

Mike

Posts: 21676 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
We've all had those kind of days.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Yeap, today I spent all day with my mother in law..

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Just think how dull his life would have been if he had only kept driving.

Keith

I hate snakes, but they do make for good tire target practice. Big Grin

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having, in younger and dumber days, kept venomous snakes and hunted them in locations like Thailand and Sri Lanka, I find the reported encounter with three snakes in short order a bit hard to swallow. It comes across more like the literary compression of events seperated by time, if in fact true. At least it wasn't an account of someone falling into a "nest" of water moccasins here in the U.S.

Posts: 182 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: 12 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't read that book, but have read African Adventures and Misadventures which I enjoyed very much. He a good story teller, be they fictional or non-fictional.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn, That is the way to make me cringe early in the morning...

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought that boomslangs were an Australian snake? Or is it being used in a generic sense here?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MJines,
I read the same story and thought - what a tough way to make a living. Reminded of the Australian croc hunter that is no longer with us.

It is an interesting book, worth the read.

Posts: 10359 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Being back-fanged, it is nigh impossible for a boomslang to bite a person on the arm Roll Eyes

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rikkie:
Being back-fanged, it is nigh impossible for a boomslang to bite a person on the arm Roll Eyes

He actually comments on that. The snake was apparently hung on his shirt by the back fangs while it was biting to create a wound to flow venom into. Because the fangs were caught on his shirt, he could not simply knock it off.

Mike

one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo, does she spit or bite or what ? Roll Eyes Big Grin

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . probably depends on whether or not her dentures are in . . .

Mike

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Reminds me of the Daniel Powter song, Bad Day.

Reminds me of some of the fishing stories I've heard over the years! Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
One of the PHs that I met in Namibia (Royston Wright) told us of being bit by a puff adder and spending 6 weeks in hospital for treatment and skin grafts. He swears that it was the most painful thing that he has ever gone through.

He now wears knee high boots everywhere.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12693 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fjold,
Not sure if it is just me but I can´t read what you write in your posts......nothing but the top left corner of your post is seen dancing

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
+ 1 Big Grin

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I think the problem is with your eyes! They are locked on that pair of 35 pounders in the top left hand corner, and are glued there. It may require surgery to get them back straight! If your wife catches you, she will take care of that with a butcher's knife! Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,
I have sent a coppy of this topic to Corline.Hope she enjoys it as much as I did rotflmo

There is nothing as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Posts: 265 | Location: south texas | Registered: 30 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Bwanamich,
still too much tissue on the girl. Big Grin

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 08 September 2008 08:41 Hide Post
Yeap, today I spent all day with my mother in law..

I don't know what it is about mother in laws, I tried to get mine involved in hunting as a nice gesture, but she refused to hold the clays in her mouth......

Posts: 174 | Location: Cumbria | Registered: 30 July 2008Reply With Quote