THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Why your Scotch tastes better with water.......

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why your Scotch tastes better with water.......
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
...now you'll know.

quote:

Why whisky tastes better with a wee drop of water

David Szondy David Szondy August 19, 2017

Slightly diluting whisky can improve its taste

For many people, adding anything to a single malt whisky is close to sacrilege, but it's generally acknowledged that adding a drop or two of water to lesser blends enhances the flavor. The question is, why? At Sweden's Linnaeus University, researchers Björn Karlsson and Ran Friedman have come up with an answer from a molecular perspective.

When whisky is distilled, it has a strength of 70 percent alcohol per volume, but this is watered down to 40 percent to improve the flavor as well as protecting the drinker's stomach lining. To further improve the taste, many whisky drinkers will add a little more water before taking a sip.

According to Karlsson and Friedman, why this works wasn't understood previously, but a better understanding of the chemistry of whisky has provided an answer. The taste of whisky comes from amphipathic molecules that have hydrophobic and hydrophilic parts. One key molecule is guaiacol, which is produced by the grain for malt whisky drying over peat smoke to produce the spirit's distinct, smoky flavor.

Using computer simulations, Karlsson and Friedman studied water/ethanol mixtures in the presence of guaiacol and found that guaiacol preferentially associated with ethanol molecules and that in concentrations of ethanol of up to 45 percent, the guaiacol is more likely to be present at the surface between the whisky and the air.

"This suggests that, in a glass of whisky, guaiacol will therefore be found near the surface of the liquid, where it contributes to both the smell and taste of the spirit," says Friedman. "Interestingly, a continued dilution down to 27 percent resulted in an increase of guaiacol at the liquid-air interface. An increased percentage, over 59 percent, had the opposite effect, that is to say, the ethanol interacted more strongly with the guaiacol, driving the molecule into the solution away from the surface."

This seems to explain why adding a little water improves the flavor, but the scientists acknowledge that there is still a strong element of individual taste involved.

"How we experience taste and aroma is highly individual," says Karlsson, "Some people choose to add ice cubes to their whisky, to cool it down and give it a milder taste. Thus, there is no general answer to how much water you should add to your whisky to get the best taste experience."

The research was published in Scientific Reports.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love science!

And whisky.......and whiskey.

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
And
It is better with Mopane Smoke, African Skies and good friends on the hunt

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
At the World of Whisky pub in Dullstroom RSA in May, I had a sampler of various single malts that covered the Scotch spectrum from highlands to islands. 10 samples of about 1/2 oz each. They were served with a very small glass of spring water and an eye dropper. The owner came by and recommended that I smell and taste each sample first, then repeat the process after adding 4-5 drops of water to the remainding tot. Amazingly enough, in most samples it made a definite difference for the better in both aroma and taste out of proportion to the small amount of water added. Go figure....Aftr I did the test, we got down to some serious drinking- with a glass of water on the side!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about differences in the water ? Hard or soft and different minerals .
Coffee does better made with soft water , tea with hard water.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Simply and utterly and completely and absolutely wrong.

To paraphrase the words of the famous beadle, "Science is a ass!"

And in the exact and immortal words of the always inebriated Michaeleen Flynn, "When I drink whisky, I drink whisky; and when I drink water, I drink water."

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell, a mouth rinse with my well water
and 3 hours later you'd be wishing you'd tried
battery acid instead. Taste can't be brushed out with tooth paste either. Has to just wear out over time.

"in excess of 200gr hardness" is what the lab says. Hard enough if I water the lawn too much with it, the mineral content will plug up the root pores and kill the grass plants. Still, a whole lot cheaper than city water when used sparingly. Funny thing, I soaked it 2-3 hours only when it shows a need due to dryness. About every 10-25 days and keeps it nice and green, one of the nicest lawns in the area.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6008 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why would you drink a Scotch other than a single malt???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lakamoney?

Most of my money I spent on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted

Posts: 261 | Location: Saint Thomas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Single malt all the way. At present my preferred scotch of choice is McCallen 18 year when I can get it. Smooth enough straight but just a little more mellow with a little water.

Posts: 130 | Location: Ozarks | Registered: 04 August 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems to me that all they are saying is that whisky tastes different with water added. That's the science of it and correct. "Better" is subjective and debatable.

Posts: 10988 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Lots of distilleries now have YouTube clips. Very educational.

The "few drops of water" is a myth. Most seem to add a minimum of a couple of table spoons (30mi / 1 oz) and even 100 ml +.

Another interesting point is that single malts until the 1960s were virtually unknown outside the local county. The local farmers just went to the local distillery and bought a bottle of the local grog.

Glen Grant were the first to try marketing Single Malt to Italy! Ultimately Glenlivet and Glenfidich followed and Glenfidich became the largest exporter of single malts whith their marketing program in the 1980s.

Today India and China have become the largest markets for single malts and Scotch whiskey and Indian companies have bought up some Scottish distilleries.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11208 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Doc

The "better" is that the flavours are released by the water and can be tasted and smelled better. The tasters us the goblets to trap the fumes in the glass for a longer period.

quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
Seems to me that all they are saying is that whisky tastes different with water added. That's the science of it and correct. "Better" is subjective and debatable.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Many reasons - blends & particularly good blends give a greater variety of complex flavours including grain whiskeys.

Good blends are normally MUCH smoother. The harshest Scotch whiskies are usually the single malts with heavy peating.

Blends tend to be cheaper though they do market some exhotic blends at ridiculously high prices.

BTW - a standard blended scotch may contain 60+ malt & grain whiskeys and some of them may be very expensive singles!

Since the single malt phenomenon took off in the 1970s we see rare obsolete casks at high prices and also 30+ year old offerings!

Some Irish whiskey are also very good.

quote:
Originally posted by Barry Groulx:
Why would you drink a Scotch other than a single malt???

One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
Adding a drop or two of water definitely changes the taste and can make Scotch better. However, when my PH added roughly an equal amount of water to his glass of Dalmore 18 year that I took to celebrate my first Cape Buffalo I almost cried.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny thing about water in JB. I was stationed with a guy that had worked for Jim Beam. We roomed on the second floor. Tommy was sitting in front of a window. One of the guys came in with several bottles of different booze. Tommy asked to see the JB. Half gallon glass jug.
Read the back label and said: "Damn, this is the batch I pissed in the vat!" and tossed it thru the closed window behind him, landed on a driveway below.

Debate about "water content" lol.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6008 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We spend so much time removing the water and there you go pouring it back in..years of work spoiled in a minute of madness.
If it tastes rough it probably is. Big Grin

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I mix my single malt scotch with fresh air.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I've recently moved to cask proof whiskeys and find I like them better. 116 proof Laphroaig 10 year old somehow is smoother that their 86 proof. Not sure why that is ...

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4772 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote