THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    self-guided hunting in northern Cameroon

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

self-guided hunting in northern Cameroon
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If anyone is interested in doing a selfguided hunt in northern Cameroon for Lord Derby I can put you in contact with the right people. The hunt will be conducted in the free zone of Buffle Noir. My son and I hunted there several years ago and had a fantastic hunt.

Posts: 1878 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yo ! Smiler I did that sort of hunt last February. Certainly a great adventure ! I absolutely loved it ... but, of course, it surely ain't for everyone ...

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 181 | Location: Windhoek Namibia | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
popcorn sofa

one of us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo Calgarychef1 ... you crack me up !!!

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vaughan Fulton:
Yes

Umm, Ditto!

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Greensboro, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
anyone that is interested send me your email address and I will forward an emial that has the details.

Mike

Posts: 1878 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
PM sent with e-mail adress

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Too bad there aint an emoticom for a "sh***t storm!!" I see one coming this way.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Me and a fellow PH considered this a couple of years ago as we were keen to have a crack at an affordable Lord Derby. Whilst we were comfortable that we were street wise and could look after our selves in the bush we were just not willing to take on the unpredictability of Africa.

A PH is more than a gunslinger and part of our job is to protect our clients at every corner, whether in or out the bush. For example the political strife in Zimbabwe was potentially the death of safari hunting in this location and it was only the trust and confidence that was extended by the operators and renowned PH's that secured the hunting clientele in this country.

Basically what I am saying is that although adventurous it is also risky and there is a lot that can go wrong out there?

My opinion only and the choice is yours.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could get hit by a car tomorrow too mate!!

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Mike

Thanks for sending me the info. I have already put down a deposit with another outfit, but I am always looking to keep up on all the latest info in Cameroon.

To Fairgame and the other naysayers. You guys are correct, the hunts will be hard and dangerous with no fancy dinner, cold beer and soft bed at the end of the day. But some of us who have done several guided hunts in more civilized places, like Zim and Namibia, self guided hunts like this offer real adventure which is more aluring than cold beer or the guarentee of good trophies.

If you do one of these hunts every animal you get will be yours because you earned it.

And one more thing that comes to mind when I hear people talking about the danger inherent in this type of hunt: to Selous, Neuman or Bell hunts of this type would have been considered "sissy hunts".

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Btw, I don't mean to offend anyone. I would like to hunt with Andrew in Zambia if I'm ever lucky enough to have the chance.

This hunt in Cameroon will give me a chance to do a "new" type of hunting and hopefully provide a lifetime of memories.

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And when you're standing over the great old buffalo bull ... on your foot safari .... miles from anywhere ... no backup nor did you need it .... it was the best of times ... Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calgarychef1:
Too bad there aint an emoticom for a "sh***t storm!!" I see one coming this way.

Huh? What are you driving at?

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy-Fairgame,

I'm completely with you on this one. Where it might seem romantic to think you are a modern day Stanley, adventuring into the unknown...things can seriously go wrong in a hurry.

A huge news flash should be Andy's decision not to go...he's a Zambian, native, and way more experienced in hunting than any of us (and I put myself in this category) weekend warriors. I find it interesting that so many of you are looking for this experience, I would tend to think it won't be like chasing elk in the rockies on public land.

I know Scruffy did this hunt, and survived...but maybe because he was lucky, all it would take is a snake bite, breaking an ankle...etc..and things could be going very wrong. Not to mention political strife, roaming bandits...blah blah.

There are bugs in the water in central africa that will kill you, KILL YOU...and western medicine has not a clue why or how to stop it.

Are any of these animals worth dying for? seriously? I like to think I'm a big badass hunter, and I belong to the category of people who want one of everything, but there's not a single animal on this planet that I would even consider putting my life in real real danger..(now I realize that hunting elephants, buffalos, are dangerous. I'm refering to going to countries for certain species that there are wars being fought, mass infectious diseases (don't even start with AIDS) or anything else)

People always say, "well scruffy went, had a ball...well, we might be saying John doe went...and he didn't come back!"

Hunting without a local guide you can trust when the cards are down is asking for trouble.

Posts: 729 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
I probably would not do this on my own. But with a friend or two it would be great hunt/experience.

I think a couple of weeks in Alaska etc would be harder JMO.

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Things that make you go - Hmmmmm.

To paraphrase some sentiments previously expressed on this forum:

'High fence hunting is not for me.'
'Canned hunting is unethical.'
'Fair chase hunting is the only way to go.'
'No we are not shooters we are hunters.'

This is not to pass judgement on those that have expressed these thoughts. BUT NOW COMES - OK BWANA GO DO IT YOURSELF!'

And some of the responses appear to be in contrast with previous thinking.

one of us
posted Hide Post
very interesting. Based on my last spring experience in Cameroun if the hunting area is good and ther'is game the self guided hunt is not very difficult. Are the permits, the travel to and from the hunting area and the basic accomodation that are very difficult.

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Everyone has his own opinion. I hunted with my son in Buffle Noir, which is where this hunt is conducted we took Lord Derby Eland,Sing Sing Waterbuck,Red-Flanked Duiker,Harnessed Bushbuck,Oribi and Western Hartebeast in 7 or 8 days. I also have hunted alone in the rain forest with the pygmyies for at least 30 to 35 days. Things can happen anywhere!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm totally with Andrew and Oryxhunter1983 on this one. I'd much rather hunt a truly dangerous animal in a safe country with a knowledgeable PH than a non-dangerous animal (eland, etc.) in a country or environment I didn't consider safe. When ever I go hunting in a wilderness area I'm more afraid of the humans I might meet than any of the wildlife. Consider the nasty bugs, parasites, reptiles and ne'er-do-wells you might meet on your hunt over there who don't have your best interest in mind. And you'd be a long way from any kind of QUALITY medical care. For me, it's not worth risking my life over. I'd rather make safer hunts, and live to hunt another day. Just my opinion.

Posts: 282 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I came within inches of getting killed on a hunt in New Zealand (probably the safest country in the world) on a self guided foot hunt in the western Alps for tahr/chamois.. Spent a lengthy stint in the Christchurch ward and months of therapy afterwards Stateside.. mountain hunts (anywhere the countryside becomes vertical) are far more dangerous than these self guided hunts.

That said, there would be weighed risks on these hunts. It would all come down to whether or not you are willing to accept these and go into the bush unguided.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've flown myself into the Alaska wilderness many times. Taken off for a week or two after sheep in the mountains all by my lonesome; but again I know what I'm doing out there.
I've hunted Africa (with a PH) several times, every month of the year except January and February.I've pushed myself, endured hardships, injuries; I consider myself mentally, as tough as nails, but a self guide Cameroon hunt, wow, I'd think twice for most of the reasons listed above.

Posts: 444 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that I did so well was because I look like a smaller version (in height) of the scary looking Stay Puffed Marshmallow Man ... so the bad guys and most of the creepy crawlies left me alone ... probably awe, I imagine ... Smiler Appearances can be deceiving as I am nowhere near as tough ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After talking to one of the gentlemen who organizes these hunts (and he tells it as it is) and reading people's reports who have been on these hunts. My inference is that apart from the adventure aspect of such a hunt, game is hard to come by as most of the areas where the hunts are conducted are pretty poached out. They are also not exactly cheap hunts if you come back with a bushbuck and a duiker after 10 days of slogging and roughing it out.

Like everyone else I am always on the look out for a good hunt at a good deal! But despite being fairly tuned into the hunting business I can tell you that they are few and far between and that cheap hunt suddenly becomes a dead loss when you have to go back a second time if you didn't get what you were hoping for the first time around! And dont forget airline tickets + other costs that all add up!

Posts: 2571 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
seems that the hunting area is the same where I hunted in april. I've seen lot of game ( see my report) but no eland. The Derbies were in the national park only few miles from the hunting concession but the people there said that january is the period when they comes out from the park. I'k sure will be a great hunt. My only advise is do not lodge in the campement "du bel eland" but stay at the national park lodge

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oryxhunter1983:
Andy-Fairgame,

I'm completely with you on this one. Where it might seem romantic to think you are a modern day Stanley, adventuring into the unknown...things can seriously go wrong in a hurry.

A huge news flash should be Andy's decision not to go...he's a Zambian, native, and way more experienced in hunting than any of us (and I put myself in this category) weekend warriors. I find it interesting that so many of you are looking for this experience, I would tend to think it won't be like chasing elk in the rockies on public land.

I know Scruffy did this hunt, and survived...but maybe because he was lucky, all it would take is a snake bite, breaking an ankle...etc..and things could be going very wrong. Not to mention political strife, roaming bandits...blah blah.

There are bugs in the water in central africa that will kill you, KILL YOU...and western medicine has not a clue why or how to stop it.

Are any of these animals worth dying for? seriously? I like to think I'm a big badass hunter, and I belong to the category of people who want one of everything, but there's not a single animal on this planet that I would even consider putting my life in real real danger..(now I realize that hunting elephants, buffalos, are dangerous. I'm refering to going to countries for certain species that there are wars being fought, mass infectious diseases (don't even start with AIDS) or anything else)

People always say, "well scruffy went, had a ball...well, we might be saying John doe went...and he didn't come back!"

Hunting without a local guide you can trust when the cards are down is asking for trouble.

To Oryx hunter and the others who think a hunt of this type is "too dangerous" for you. You're correct, it is too dangerous for you. And yes you would be safer back home in the U.S. Heck you would even be far safer in Zimbabwe hunting buffalo and elephant.

Really when it comes down to it guided "dangerous game" hunting is not dangerous for the client. It's dangerous for the PH and trackers, but how often does a client get nailed?

Wanting to do a self guided hunt in Cameroon is about seeking a real adventure. An adventure you simply can't get with a PH holding your hand.

This type of hunt is what I'm looking for even though it costs more than a guided hunt and is far more dangerous and the trophies are likely to be poorer score-wise.

A lot of very knowledgeable hunters and PHs have done this type of hunt(Jim Shockey and Kai-Uwe Denker come to mind).

With all due respect I don't think most people posting against this type of hunt understand that it is not "hunting alone in Cameroon". The outfit I will be hunting with supplies all the infrastructure of a (spartan)guided hunt, but no PH. This helps to defeat the language barrier and the red tape and smooths out the learning curve.

If you want an easy safe hunt the will help you on your goal to get one of everything, this type of hunt is not for you.

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
How different is this in principle to hunting in Iran or Pakistan where you hunt with local "guides"? The risk of being mugged and held hostage for 2 years is very real in those places and yet the right contacts can keep you as safe as at home.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11253 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that what Jason said is about what I think. tu2 If I hadn't already shot a couple of eles long ago I would think long and hard about doing a jumbo hunt in Cameroon. (still might) Sometimes it is better to live it rather than read about it in the safety of the home and ponder ..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
How different is this in principle to hunting in Iran or Pakistan where you hunt with local "guides"? The risk of being mugged and held hostage for 2 years is very real in those places and yet the right contacts can keep you as safe as at home.
Thats what I was thinking... you can do a lot of public land hunts on your own too (USA, NZ, AUST) and easily fall off a mountain!!

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought Scruffy's book and learned a lot about this kind of hunt. His buddy almost died because of some specific things he "couldn't get his head around." Truly it isn't for everyone and I think people like Scruffy have a good mindset from the beginning. I think it's a bit of insanity with the added bonus of not worrying when things go wrong, "as they will" in his own words.

No disrespect intended but I'd sure be looking at a good way to purify water before going, and it wouldn't just be boiniing. Additionally I'd be the one purifying the water not one of the "campees" who hasn't washed his hands in a week. It would include a top of the line filter with many spare cartridges, and a "steripen" to additionally treat the water. With that little point out of the way the trip would become much easier and safer. I'd get a proper hammock to get off the ground at night.

I think Scruffy and buddy learned a lot about themselves on the trip. Just like a soldier, or anyone who has experienced adversity learns about themselves.

I've got small kids, so this one is a bit on the edge for me as far as danger goes. Not saying I wouldn't do it but I'd want to go with someone competent and trustworthy beyond the norm. I'd suggest chosing a partner with more care than choosibng a wife.

the chef

One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
Can you post the book title or PM me? Thanks

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
I probably would not do this on my own. But with a friend or two it would be great hunt/experience.

I think a couple of weeks in Alaska etc would be harder JMO.

You could do Alaska but I probably could not as I am not familiar with the climate, conditions and terrain. I have heard that Alaska can be very hostile and it is in complete contrast to what I know.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I've done some risky things such as climbing hard and dangerous mountains (caught in an avalanche once), hunting the thick Jesse for Ele, Lion and Buffalo BUT I would not do a self guided hunt in West Africa. Some of the storeys I've heard from guys that have worked in those places will quickly diminish a deluded idea that its a romantic adventure.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awwww - c'mon Ozhunter!!!! Confused We'll be armed!!

Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - TV

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If anyone really wants more information on these hunts I will be at the Reno and Dallas show. You can talk about these hunts face to face. I set up both Scruffy's and Mario's hunts and help about 10 hunters successfully a year do these and other Cameroun hunts. It is still self guided but I organize all the details including vehicles, trackers, and big equipment. I am sure Mike can also help you out if you just want to do it all by yourself. My option is for a slightly less risky adventure, but still not for the faint of heart.
You can look me up at Bombazi Wilderness sharing a space with Jim Shockey at both venues or PM me.

Camshaft

Posts: 345 | Location: Cameroun, South Africa | Registered: 19 December 2007Reply With Quote