Notify
Tools

canned lion hunting SA
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boerbokrib
posted
Elise Tempelhoff
Vanderbijlpark – It is the end of the road for South Africa’s 123 lion breeders and 3 000 canned lions.

This follows a verdict in the Free State High Court in Bloemfontein on Thursday that these semi-tame animals may only be hunted 24 months after being set free from their breeding cages.

Judge Ian van der Merwe concurred with the government that biodiversity must be protected, and that the breeding of lions in captivity with the sole purpose of canned hunting, did not aid their protection.

The lion breeders’ request that the period of 24 months in the regulations be changed to “a few days”, was dismissed with costs.

Verdict welcomed

Albi Modise, spokesperson for the Department of Water Affairs and Forestry, said the government welcomes the verdict.

“This means that the reprehensible practice of canned hunting has most certainly come to an end.”

Carel van Heerden, chairperson of the South African Predator Breeders Association, which took the government to court, said it was a tragic verdict.

“It feels like someone has kicked me in the stomach.

“The practical implications of the verdict are devastating to our industry and to all the people involved in the industry. It means that 5 000 breadwinners will soon lose their jobs, and about 3 000 (semi-tame) lions will have to be put down.”

The financial implications on members of the association, and the damage it will cause to the hunting and tourism industry in South Africa is incalculable, said Van Heerden.

“We operate a perfectly legal business and will continue to seek justice.”

According to Van Heerden, the association’s legal team will now study the verdict in its entirety, and then possibly apply for leave to appeal the verdict.

Apparently, some of the farmers on Thursday threatened to sue the government due to the loss of income they will suffer due to the legislation.

Multi-million rand industry

Van der Merwe said in his verdict that lion farmers, who are currently keeping a multi-million rand industry afloat, are just worried about money and the economic losses they will suffer if the semi-tame lions must first spend two years roaming free in nature before they can be hunted.

Marthinus van Schalkwyk, former minister of environmental affairs and tourism, was taken to court by lion breeders about two years ago, when he apparently wanted to “crush” their industry with regulations regarding threatened and protected species.

According to the regulations, a lion which has been bred in captivity, must be self-sustaining for 24 months (in other words, hunt for prey), before it can be hunted.

The lion breeders said in court papers that it would mean their downfall if the animals had to remain free for that long. They called the decision irrational.

Furthermore, Modise said that while hunting makes a substantial and positive contribution to conservation management and the country’s economy, the government also needs to protect a valuable resource and ensure that the industry has a sustainable future.
“We need a clean hunting industry, free from unacceptable behaviour which could damage the country’s image.”

Posts: 291 | Location: Sourh Africa | Registered: 07 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
I wonder when this "goes into effect".

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
“We need a clean hunting industry, free from unacceptable behaviour which could damage the country’s image.”

I think this will ultimately be the downfall of hunting in South Africa.

The antis will continue to press on to have hunting banned completely. Because it might not be good for "the country's image".

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67016 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This will go into effect once it has been formally gazetted, which usually takes a few months.
Should the predator breeders association be granted leave to appeal, they may continue with business until such time as a verdict has been reached on their appeal.

I wonder what the anti's will have to say when they see footage of 3000+ lions being put down?

One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
Do captive bred/born/raised lions have the skills to survive in the wild?

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ghostbird:

I think your question has already been answered by the "Lion Farmers" ;

“The practical implications of the verdict are devastating to our industry and to all the people involved in the industry. It means that 5 000 breadwinners will soon lose their jobs, and about 3,000 (semi-tame) lions will have to be put down.”

Finding themselves in the wild with "no hand to feed them" these cats would very likely die of starvation.

Posts: 307 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 19 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kibokolambogo, your last comment, they couldn't survive on their own is only your opinion as the article says nothing about they can't survive on their own. From everything I have read about this subject is that the property owners could not afford to have the lions roam free killing their other game. I doubt these captive breed lions would have any problem surviving on their own roaming free.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Theres wild and theres 'wild'. One could still release and them and then dump food for them, just like they do now, just in a larger area...

The issue is the 24 months and the feeding costs and the stocking density. In small enclosures and/or short release times you can keep more on a property.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:

Do they have those skills? No they don't, but I have no doubt that they would learn them pretty damn quickly if they got the opportunity. They certainly retain the predatory instincts and this is proved by the fact that zoo (big) cats fairly regularly nail their keepers etc.

Certainly, other cats, notably tigers that were born and raised in zoos have been released into areas where they've been left to fend for themselves, have succeeded in learning to hunt successfully and have become self sustaining.

The problem in this case is that there really are no areas in South Africa where even a fraction of that number could be released to live wild.

All that said, I reckon it's a disgusting practice that needs to be banned asap and that if it's not banned, it'll mean the eventual demise of all sport hunting in South Africa at least and possibly in all of Africa.

I see it as one of the two biggest threats to African sport hunting today. (The other being You Tube)

I'm no lawyer but I wonder how this fits in with the fact that the exalted Minister Van Shalkwyk has already removed Lions from the list of large predators.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
(The other being You Tube)

+1 !!!!!!! Mad

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Ah, just release them all in Kruger. Everything there is "semi-wild" including the poachers and trespassers. Maybe they'll help clean up those problems. Big Grin Saeed: Agreed. Where would the line on "canned hunting" in South Africa then stop? What about all of the game ranches and their raised/purchased plains and other game? What's the difference?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Once back in the wild, would these circus lions be more of a problem for humans than regular-issue lions?

Wish I could get a few of them to restock some areas around here.....

Philip

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to see canned hunting for lions come to an end. Maybe I'll stop seeing canned lions all over RSA hunting adds in Safari and African Sporting Gazette.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Phillip,

Certainly they'd be considerably more habituated than truly wild Lions and in many ways that would (in most instances) probably make them more of a problem for humans......... might make them easier to hunt, esp in the early periods after their release.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
kibokolambogo, your last comment, they couldn't survive on their own is only your opinion as the article says nothing about they can't survive on their own. From everything I have read about this subject is that the property owners could not afford to have the lions roam free killing their other game. I doubt these captive breed lions would have any problem surviving on their own roaming free.

DOJ, Not exactly my comment but that of the same breeders who declare that 3,000 lion would have to be put down.
It would appear pretty obvious that the area in which they were bred will not sustain these cats as it is assumed they were
bred on ranches (in penned areas) and more than likely hand fed for quite some time before being "let loose".
As I have never been to SA I openly disqualify myself on the exact manner in which these cats are being bred and what
limited knowledge I may have, has been extrapolated from a grand variety of articles and comments on the subject (most, of
which are negative).
In my country of residence this kind of crap does not exist and god willing shall remain that way!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This will lower the lion population in SA by 3000 animals. Plain and simple.

If you want to save animals, make it economically viable to raise them. If you want to exterminate them all, make them pests.

In the 3rd World, if it pays, it stays.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
quote:

Do they have those skills? No they don't, but I have no doubt that they would learn them pretty damn quickly if they got the opportunity. They certainly retain the predatory instincts and this is proved by the fact that zoo (big) cats fairly regularly nail their keepers etc.

Certainly, other cats, notably tigers that were born and raised in zoos have been released into areas where they've been left to fend for themselves, have succeeded in learning to hunt successfully and have become self sustaining.

The problem in this case is that there really are no areas in South Africa where even a fraction of that number could be released to live wild.

All that said, I reckon it's a disgusting practice that needs to be banned asap and that if it's not banned, it'll mean the eventual demise of all sport hunting in South Africa at least and possibly in all of Africa.

I see it as one of the two biggest threats to African sport hunting today. (The other being You Tube)

I'm no lawyer but I wonder how this fits in with the fact that the exalted Minister Van Shalkwyk has already removed Lions from the list of large predators.

Steve,
Under normal circumstances I guess a percentage of the 3,000 might re-adapt to a wild state but where in SA could they eventually be re-allocated to a totally natural habitat when a good portion of the land is populated by humans and other parts as farmland?
What would the approximate current population of naturally wild lion tally and how would one introduce these 3,000 "semi-tame" cats to this existing population?
3,000 lions is no meager figure!

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Kibokolambogo,

I agree completely, which is why I said 'The problem in this case is that there really are no areas in South Africa where even a fraction of that number could be released to live wild'

I'm no zoologist, but I'd bet that a fairly large percentage could adapt to living wild, however the cold hard facts are that there simply isn't anywhere in southern Africa that could even begin to accommodate a fraction of that number....

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
This decision is long overdue. Canned Lion hunting in RSA has produced some of the most powerfully damaging effects on African hunting. If you haven't seen the videos or read the documentation over the past 10 years, you really cannot understand the depth of the negative impact this practice has had on hunting. I have zero respect for anyone who takes a Lion in RSA. It is not hunting by any stretch of the imagination. The Lion deserves better.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve:

There has got to be space somewhere in RSA where these cats could find home in the wild. I agree with you yes, they'd eventually re-adapt to the wild, but find it hard to accept there's no place for them, if they had to be released.

I know it's a bloody huge problem of this many lions but I have to believe there's a better solution than killing them or watching them all die off. As a hunter I can't accept a blanket death sentence for these lions.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll bet we will soon see a large influx of lions crossing the border from Botswana and Kruger onto the ranches operated by certain safari companies. I'll bet prices will plummet fast.

Posts: 121 | Location: Creswell Oregon | Registered: 13 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
SableTrail

These things are of course, all a matter of opinion, but in mine......Not only is there nowhere in South Africa that could accommodate even a fraction of thos numbers, I doubt there's anywhere in southern Africa that could accommodate a fraction of them. Even if there were, I'd be bloody amazed if the money to translocate them would be available.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

I've no doubt at all it's already happening. You might like to read article number 20 here: http://www.shakariconnection.c...unting-articles.html

Don't bet on a price drop though! rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://network.nationalpost.co...ed-lion-hunting.aspx

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9374 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Shakari, I respectfully disagree in the strongest possible terms! I can think of plenty of places that would greatly benefit from the sudden influx of 3000 lions Wink

If that doesn't work, let's ship them over here. I think Berkley and Boulder are still suffering from a severe lion shortage.

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
IMHO, it's a damned disgrace and can't end soon enough.

I'm as worried about any so-called RSA "lion breeder" as I am about a pimp busted for procuring.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13398 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
I've got a friend in SA who's Dad raises lions. He is in the Limpopo region. He said if the gov. stops him from raising them, he will turn them loose. (Somehow, the gate was left open.) Interesting solution to a problem. What would the gov do if 3000 lions were suddenly loose in SA?
He doesn't hunt them, he sells them to people who do.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heh... I was thinking more along the lines of DC... Is there a reason they couldn't be sold outside of RSA?

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Shakari, you're right on.

As for space, assuming the 3,000 number is not exaggerated for effect, some can go to Kruger; others to the Kalarhari Gemsbok and some to lion rugs that can be sold to benefit the impoverished (!?) canned lion breeders...

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1319 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Tim,

I doubt there's a shortage of Lons in the KNP at least....... From time to time Lions and other species (notably Elephants) break out of the KNP in search of new territories (etc) and to the best of my knowledge, it's not usual practice to move them back into the park. I believe rule .303 is usually applied. Which would indicate to me at least that there's a surplus of those animals rather than a shortage. (That's most certainly the case for Elephants)

There's also the issue of what a release of what would effectively be (to a large extent) additional nomadic males and what that would do to pride dynamics within the reserve. As I'm not a zoologist, I'm don't feel qualified to express an opinion on that, other than to say that I'm sure it would cause some kind of change in those dynamics.

I appreciate there's a problem with what to do with all these surplus pen bred Lions but the problem was created by the greed of the breeders and I personally feel that as they created the problem, they must now deal with it and if that means they have to put the animals down, then that's what they need to do........ let's face it, up until now, they haven't exactly been averse to allowing someone to shoot them when it suited their needs. rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could they survive in the wild? What a silly question, take your wife's tabby and put him out the back door..then watch how quickly he starts to hunt!

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
They Might lose their pretty boy good looks pretty rapidly tough when they start crossing territories. Given they have not had to respect the personal space of another lion in the past....

I know less than most on the subject but as Shakari says the pride dynamic has to be effected in some form or other. Feeding themselves is the least of their worries.

FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
I received an "offer" to come hunt lions via email this morning.

Tom Addleman
tom@dirtnapgear.com

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
I've got a friend in SA who's Dad raises lions. He is in the Limpopo region. He said if the gov. stops him from raising them, he will turn them loose. (Somehow, the gate was left open.) Interesting solution to a problem. What would the gov do if 3000 lions were suddenly loose in SA?
He doesn't hunt them, he sells them to people who do.

A thought has just struck me on the exceptional quality of manes on the pen raised/bred lions. Surely must have something to do
with their diet. Could you inquire with your friend if "mane growth" enhancers are used?
I could certainly do with some myself as I cannot bear the thought of wearing a toupee!
jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi:Is lion meat good to eat?If they have to get rid of them kill them and sell the meat. I have been told mountain lion is good to eat. Dan

Posts: 201 | Location: Mackenzie BC | Registered: 15 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gunbug

Wild lion is good and we found it close to lean pork as table fare but I don't know what pen raised and chicken fed lion tastes like. My quess is it would be fine. I think the point is that there woud be no market for it. In my opinion only folks with a taste for the bizaar would order a lion steak in a restaurant. What wine do you suppose would go with medallions of leo?

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12875 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
quote:
What wine do you suppose would go with medallions of leo?

Catbernet, Merleo, or pinot n roar. Big Grin

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark, what ever wine you like to drink.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
3000 well fed breeding lions seems a bit of a stretch or else that industry is much larger than I thought.

What do they do with the excess females?

Something doesn't add up.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gail Selby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
This decision is long overdue. Canned Lion hunting in RSA has produced some of the most powerfully damaging effects on African hunting. If you haven't seen the videos or read the documentation over the past 10 years, you really cannot understand the depth of the negative impact this practice has had on hunting. I have zero respect for anyone who takes a Lion in RSA. It is not hunting by any stretch of the imagination. The Lion deserves better.

I agree with you 100%. Canned lion hunting is not hunting in the true sense in my opinion and I deplore it.

"Tackle all stressful situations like a dog –if you can’t eat it or roll in it then piss on it and walk away."

Posts: 38 | Location: Maun, Botswana | Registered: 16 June 2007Reply With Quote