Find
Notify
Tools

Lions attack, eat caretaker
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
03/01/2008 14:31 - (SA)

Pretoria - A 36-year-old game lodge caretaker was killed when he was attacked by lions at a Swartruggens game lodge in North West, police said on Thursday.

Superintendent Lesego Metsi said Samuel Boosen died when he was attacked by lions at the Aloe Ridge Lodge on Tuesday.

"The incident occurred at around 16:30 when he - together with two others - went to the enclosure of about eight or nine lions. He went inside the enclosure and was eaten. Only (his) spine and skull remained," said Metsi.

The other two men - who Boosen had asked to accompany him - were outside the enclosure when the incident happened.

Metsi said that Boosen had been working at the lodge for about four years at the time of the incident.

"An inquest docket has been opened and no foul play is suspected," said Metsi.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9484 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted Hide Post
Yikes! Now here is a question - why would you willingly go into an enclosure with wild lions? I don't think they even do that here in zoos unless the lions have been tranqued or are being held back by poles/holding loops by other staff members.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 555 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 09 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lions gotta eat too!

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While in Namibia in May, I had the opportunity to help move a 3 year old male lion (that had been darted) into another 60 acre enclosure. We rolled it onto a tarp, and it took four of us to raise it up and put him in the pickup. Filled the Toyota bed, and was certainly impressive, looking at the musculature and claws. Being that close, and actually touching him, was something I will never forget.

The lioness stayed out about 40 yards, and we did have an experienced guide with a 375 H&H watching her. Put two orphaned cubs with her, to learn to raise, and see how they would do.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I was a LEO criminal investigator too long. What were the other two doing while Boosen was killed and ate? Only thing left was skull and spine....pretty good way to dispose of evidence of murder. I would be doing a lot more investigation before I suspected "no foul play".

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How many people get eaten by lions in Africa? Nobody really knows, I'd guess, what with the refugees from Zim heading south through Kruger, but I heard over 60 in Tanzamia last year, I seem to recall. Might be wrong on that. Maybe it was 40. That's Africa, Larry.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
seems to me that it would take a little while for 8 or 9 lions to eat a man completely(15-20 minutes?). what were his pals doing all this time?

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder just how and for how much he screwed his two "buddies"?? bewildered

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote