Notify
Tools

Malaria meds for Namibia?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dr. Tim Burkhart
posted
Hey Everyone:

I am considering taking my family to Namibia. I have children ages 9 thru 17. Most of the country claims to be malaria free, however if we go to Etosha they claim it is a slight risk. The time of year would be in July which should be a safer time of year. I don't want to risk anyone getting sick....but do I really need to have all of us on malaria prophalaxis drugs. What are your thoughts?

Dr. Tim

Posts: 166 | Location: Caledonia, Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am leaving July 1st with my family for Namibia. We are all taking malaria prophalixis drugs. My feeling is better safe than sorry.

Posts: 195 | Location: Bremerton, WA | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am leaving with my family July 14 for Namibia. Although winter and much of the time we will be in a " non-malarial " area we will take no chances! African malaria is serious stuff and can certainly be life threatening. I have previously had malaria which I picked up many years ago in the jungles of Honduras. I was lucky since it was one of the curable ones but I was very sick and hospitalized and certainly felt like I was on a fast train out of this life. Take the meds-donn't take a chance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
June, July, and August I don't think it is necessary in most of Namibia (unless you head into Caprivi). My trip in 2004 was July 7-28, was very cold, and I never even saw a bug of any kind. This year we went April 18-May 6 and it was hot and humid the first week, just hot the second, and mosquitos were bad each evening for about 1-2 hours. We used both lotion and wipes, but still got half a dozen or more bites.

The wife and I discussed it, and for about $50 apiece decided it was cheap insurance. Malaria is one thing you do not want. She took Larium (weekly) because of her blood clotting meds with no problems while I took Malarone (daily). It was just a little pill with breakfast, so easy to remember, and had no effects whatsoever.

Considering my self to be a responsible parent, I would certainly consider it for my family as a precaution. Then again, I'm the kind of guy who wears suspenders and a belt when hunting, so maybe I'm just overly cautious! Smiler

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
We took Malarone last mouth just east of Windhoek. Took the pills but saw no mosquitos

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
My wife and I took Malarone when we were hunting southeast of Windhoek, but my PH and his family were actually offended that we did and we never saw any mosquitos.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2508 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dr. Tim,
for that time of the year there is virtually no risc w.r.t. Malaria in Etosha. As already been mentioned, Caprivi is a different story. The rainfalls this year were so bad that there isn't much water around so the chances for Malaria are even slimmer. However, if you do feel better with it, take them drugs.

Posts: 194 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 04 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
Hi Doc,
2 years ago when I went in Namibia, it was the same period, I saw 1 (ONE) mosquito( I was in Halali resort at Etosha), few flies in the hottest hours of the day, no snakes and no scorpions, no ticks.

I met a little group of Italians hunters and one of them was a doc, a very important one in Padova University.
In spite of the suggestion of the oldest of the group, who has 19 years of hunting experience in Namibia, he made for sure the yellow fever vaccination, the malaria prophilaxis and maybe, if I remember well, the cholera vaccination. At the gun check at Housea Kutako Int. Airport he asked me which medical prevention I did.
"None" I said " because my Doc, who lived 15 years in South Angola near the border with Namibia, told me do nothing except a vitaminic and mineral integrator" (Bioptimum is the name). He looked at me with a strange look and a dubious expression on his face and said nothing.

Take in consideration that I'm son of a Doctor and I do not underevaluate my health.

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I took daily meds last year (Etosha, then NE of Windhoek, then Swakopmund).

It was late June-early July and we saw perhaps 3 mosquitos in nearly 3 weeks. Of course it only takes one.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted last august in Namibia, near Grootfontein sp.? I never saw anything but a few flies and knats, no mosquitos but I took melarone anyway. My buddy I went with has been to several countries and has been over there numerous times and chose no prophylaxis and came down with Malaria on the way home, recognized the symptoms and had meds with him for it and made a full recovery. I go back August 08 and will have my prophylaxis with me again. I would hate to ruin a good trip sick. my 2 cents as well. He did go fishing one day on a day trip and suspect that is when he got the "bite"!

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have had malaria and don't ever wish the experience again especially some of the more virulent strains found in Africa. I have been to Africa 8 times for up to 2 months each time. I have taken Larium each time with NO ill effects and if I were given the opportunity to go again I would do the same. Period.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tim,

Why would anyone play Russian Roulette with their family? If there is only a miniscule chance of getting malaria it's too much of a chance. People do die from it. It only takes one bite so take the malorone and have a safe trip.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13018 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I will be going July 13 east of Windhoek, and my wife and I already have our Malarone meds from the Dr. We're then going to fly to South Africa and hunt the Limpopo area, so better to be safe than sorry I say.

One of Us
Picture of Dr. Tim Burkhart
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the imput. I have usually taken the Larium (1/week) but for my kids I am thinking the Malarone (1/day), due to some of the side effects reported from taking Larium. I'll be sure to post my hunt and pics when we return.

Posts: 166 | Location: Caledonia, Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like to know how your Kids did on Malarone. I am taking my 12 year old next year to Namibia and will probaly use Malarone.

Mike

Posts: 1093 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted Hide Post
No need for anything this time of the year imo, I lived their and worked right up on the Angolan border, every 2 weeks. South of Etosha you should be safe. The Caprivi, take something.
Cheers
Johan

Posts: 160 | Location: Johannesburg- South Africa | Registered: 27 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Several of us on the forum take Doxycycline. I will use it again when needed.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
From what I can gather, doxycycline might be the best choice. It is what I have taken in the past. The incresed sensitivity to the sun did not seem to be a problem. Took it at night with evening meal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37879 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote