THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: Herpetological help requested.....

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Herpetological help requested.....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
46�=3.8 feet.
I used to catch snakes (non-poisonous) and kept some as pets. I encounter venomous snakes frequently when foraying into our woodlands, swamps, etc.
The snake you found is probably an unusual color/patterned Timber Rattlesnake (Endangered in Texas) which had its rattles damaged in an accident or combat (with animal or bird). I�ve seen fully grown Canebrake rattlesnakes with a few stubs of its rattles left (1-3) as they probably were damaged or defective. The number of rattles does not tell you the age of the snake as the snake sheds its rattles numerous times a year, thereby adding a segment each time. I have seen poisonous snakes with unusual color and patterns that could have fooled me had I not looked closer (not too close, eh). By the way, I don�t think there is such a thing as vestigial rattles, Pigmy rattlesnakes will use their rattles although they may not noisy or noticeable as a large rattlesnake, such as a Timber rattlesnake. I�ve seen a captive Pigmy beat its tail fiercely, alhtough it may not make very much rattling sound.

You may want to contact Randy Powell, Curator of Herpetology, at Texas A&M University:
Natural Toxins Research Center
MSC 158
Kingsville, TX 78363
ph: (361) 593-2643
email: randy.powell@tamuk.edu

Posts: 33 | Location: SC - Lowcountry | Registered: 26 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Perhaps this one?? -TONY

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Well, C. molossus molossus was the only Texas rattler I could find that came remotely close to your description. If I recall, one site said it's common to central and southeastern TX. -TONY

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The color pattern of today's snake is very similar to the C. molossus molossus, but this snake has no rattles. As far as I can tell, the C. m. m. is not supposed to be in this area either, but maybe no one told the snake. I doubt that it was injury as the other poster suggested, there was no indication of such and this type of snake is fairly well known in this area. Timber rattlers are relatively common around here, but since I'm not afraid of snakes, and I don't go looking for them, I rarely see them. As a matter of fact, I've been stomping around on this ranch and in this area for about 8 years and I've yet to see one out in the woods while I was afoot. And.....if I maintain that record for ever, it will suit me perfectly. While not afraid of them, if you see one while squirrel hunting it is hard to keep looking up at those treetops.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I realize this is the African forum, but it gets the most traffic and I would like to identify this rattlesnake, preferably with the scientific name.

I live in NE Texas near where Tx, Ok, and Ark join on the map to give you the location.

I've heard of these snakes around here for years, but this is the first half way decent specimen I've been able to obtain. He was fresh roadkill (not by me). Locally they are called purple tails, although this one's tail was black at the tip. They have VESTIGIAL rattles (this one had two, but they are only ridges, not real rattles) and are reputed to not be very aggressive. BTW, it is marked and colored, mostly like a timber rattler, perhaps with not as well defined diamonds, but is not. I just let a 5 foot timber go (as in I didn't kill him) the other day. My friends all think I'm nuts and, they may be right.

This snake was not particularly large as I understand their size to be, it was 46 inches long. Without question a rattlesnake, fangs and all. I've killed one with my shredder that did have the purplish black tail and was at least 6 feet long, but was in pieces and I couldn't recover the head.

I've tried to find out what species of rattlesnake this snake is on the web before, but had no luck. The only rattlesnake I can find mentioned with vestigial type rattles is the pygmy, which this snake is definitely not.

Any ideas?

My wife took pics with her digital camera but whether they will come out or not is always a guess, not to mention I don't have a clue how to post them.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote