Find
Notify
Tools

The Kansas City Star on Hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Will
posted
For thoise that might be interested, the Kansas City Star newspaper is just another liberal news outlet.

Attached is a commentary by C. W. Gusewelle on a hunting magazine which I assume was Sports Afield, and my reponse.

Posted on Sun, Jan. 28, 2007email thisprint this
COMMENTARY
Magazine makes ethos seem quaint
C.W. GUSEWELLE
The Kansas City Star

Objectionable though it may be to some, I will confess to most of a lifetime’s enjoyment of hunting, not so much for the actual pursuit of game as for the rewards of days spent in splendid country in the company of good friends and good dogs.

When not actually able to be afield, I can lose myself in rich hunting tales — such works as Faulkner’s “The Bear,†Turgenev’s A Sportsman’s Notebook, a book of essays by the contemporary outdoor writer Gene Hill or a classic celebration of dogs and ruffed grouse by the aptly named George Bird Evans.

These are not merely stories about the shot or the kill. They are explorations of human nature, of love and grief, and the wonder and mysteries of the natural world.

I stopped at a newsstand one day recently for reading matter to help pass time between what I knew would be a daylong series of appointments.

My choice was an outdoor magazine — one I’ve read quite often over the years, and to which for a time I subscribed. But reading this current issue was an unsettling experience.

Rarely have I been made to feel so out of touch — so overtaken by time — on a subject about which I’ve cared greatly about. For the stories here were almost entirely about the kill, and very little else.

One piece extolled the thrills and advantages of chasing down leopards in Africa with packs of hounds. “For some reason,†the author conceded, the notion of that trips some people’s “emotional switches.â€

It certainly trips mine!

Many years ago I had the good fortune to spend a little time hunting in Africa. I chose to take only hooved game, whose meat we used in the camp and shared with the people in nearby villages.

The idea of shooting a leopard or a lion for its hide, and the chance for subsequent boasting, appalled me then — and does now. To run such a creature with hounds, even if as the story claimed it has become common practice, strikes me as doubly offensive.

Another story profiled a former ivory hunter who, at age 76, still is a professional African guide. The interviewer asked what had been his most memorable hunt.

“The day I remember with most pleasure,†he replied, “was the day in 1966 when I shot twenty elephants in 1 hour and 15 minutes.â€

The occasion, he said, was a project to cull overpopulation of the creatures in Zambia. A necessary enterprise, perhaps. But what sort of individual would remember such an orgy of slaying with pleasure, with no mention of the sadness or regret it might have been expected to evoke?

Finally, there was an account of the adventure of a dude and his outfitter who narrowly survived their bungled attempt to assassinate an Alaskan brown bear.

It was early spring, and snow still blanketed the highlands. Following tracks to a den, the hunter peered inside from a distance of a dozen feet, saw the giant head of a grizzly looking back at him, leveled his rifle and fired.

Evidently his aim was as poor as his sportsmanship. The wounded creature burst forth raging. And it was only by luck and five more shots that the two men escaped with their lives.

“Wouldn’t go about it like that again,†the guide was quoted as saying.

I’ve known some experienced big game hunters. I’ve never known any so pathetically desperate for a trophy that they’d shoot an animal in its den.

Maybe there’s a contemporary audience for such stories, intended to pass for celebrations of hunting and the sporting life. But count me out.

I’ve read that magazine for the last time. For my armchair outings, I will look instead to the work of writers whose values I know I can trust.

And my response to him via mail of today:

30 January 2007

C. W. Gusewelle
Kansas City Star
1729 Grand Blvd.
Kansas City, MO 64108

Re: 1/27/07….Magazine….

I see by your Sunday article of that date that the old geezers are still at their melancholy best. You claim that at some more virtuous time in your life to have hunted, but pray tell one could never tolerate any scenes of actually killing animals, or dead animals, on your self absorbed tip-toeing-through-the-tulips romps on limp-wristed KCPT.

Of course, you, as characteristic of most liberals, have a convenient memory. I suppose you have forgotten about all the quail you and your dogs have killed or seen wounded over the years. Just how did that make you feel when you saw those shot-broken legs drop on fleeing-for-their-lives quail that you never recovered? Is that equivalent to the typical poetic waxing of dew drops on oak leaves in October?

Of course, one doesn’t even have to read this sort of dribble, as it is always the same. “I am pure, but whatever you others guys are doing is crap.â€

And to take a cheap shot at the old elephant-control hunters is really sleazy. That was a time and place which you would never understand and surely could never appreciate. They were the pioneers in game management and who deeds would not be appreciated or comprehended by rubber-necking, game-viewing, Eddie Bauer shopping, tourists. They actually did the work to guarantee the survival of the African elephant.

Of whom you refer to about killing elephants I do not know. But from my references, Captain Samaki Salmon, the one-time elephant control officer of Uganda, killed 4,000 elephants in his career, including 70 in one weekend. That may make you sick, but he is a hero to me.

Since I am sending this through the mail anyway, I am enclosing a leftover copy of my book on hunting Africa. Though you will not appreciate this purist form of hunting, it may give you something with which to start your fireplace sometime!

Keep the faith. There may be some that may be influenced by your self-imposed guilt!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19359 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Excellent rebuttal, Will! I always chuckle when some "upland gunner" looks down his nose at me and sniffs on "how droll big game hunting must be." I can't understand for the life of me how their sunrises and sunsets are more pristine and colorful than those I enjoy with rifle in hand roaming big-game fields. Didn't their ancestors use punt guns on sitting ducks? Big Grin

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7557 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Will,

Well said...It is nice to be familiar with the author who claims, does , them chastizes another hunter for not liking what he does as a hunter...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will -I too have some verbal diarrhea stored up but will wait untill you publish your next.

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
For thoise that might be interested, the Kansas City Star newspaper is just another liberal news outlet.

Not at all by Eastern standards Will. I doubt the subject would even be broached in our daily newspapers. Not since the 1970's! Ya See? Things ain't so bad in Kansas .... yet.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The writer killed only USDA grade meat in Africa "for the children". Right.

The guy does sound like a bit of a frolicker, waxing poetic about tiptoeing through the tulips.

A hunter kills. The hunt is not just about killing, but it is part of hunting. People who eat meat kill - they just don't do it themselves but contract that duty out to a slaughterhouse.

Yes there is a focus on magazines about the killing part, but no more so than spooring, stalking and missed opportunities. All hunters I know pay attention to the kill - not because we get off on animal "snuff" pieces but because the information allows us to make the end of the hunt as humane as possible. We don't just blast away - we spend countless hours and dollars reading books on shot placement, suitable calibers, marksmanship in less than ideal situations, bullet performance, etc.

And we spend countelss hours at the range perfecting our shooting ability and technique.

We learn from not only our own experiences but from the mistakes of others.

I am North of 51 years old, and have been hunting for 40 years now. And I still get choked up on a kill. And I take a knee and thank God for the magnificent creature before me, and asking that its progeny continue healthy and strong.

We don't hunt to prove we are men - we hunt because we are men. Biologically speaking, we are built as predators. And there is something very honest about putting your own meat on the table as opposed to someone who vents against hunting while contracting out the kill. Wouldn't want to get those metrosexual manicures messy, now would we?

Go get 'em, Will!

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will, I'm glad it was you and not me who answered. I probably would said something pretty nasty as I can't abide by nor tolerate any liberal dumbasses these days. I'm almost getting as crotchety as you.

thumb

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing new here, just another liberal anti newspaper, even in the midwest. It makes you wonder why all of them are having a drop in circulation and of course profits as well from the NY Times down. Take a look at this jerk's picture and you can see what kind of hunter he is.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for taking the time to respond Will. Maybe the Kansas City Star will print your rebuttal.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many years ago the Kansas City Star use to run articles featuring Harold Ensley who had a hunting show on TV. Mostly about the wonderful bobwhite quail. Dad would always set the paper in front of me when he found the articles cause he knew my passion for quail hunting. Missouri use to be one of the BEST places to hunt quail but that to has changed. Seems as if the Star has changed also but not for the better. Good rebuttal, Bill! Now, just bring back the old days and the quail.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I'm personally not interested in hunting leopard with dogs, and I damned sure can't understand why someone would badly shoot a bear in its den and write about it, but elephant control was and is a critical management tool. A cull is not a sporting event, but dangerous and necessary work that surely would be unforgettable. Oh well, I don't read these magazines much anymore either.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16627 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Well done Will!!!

I don't transpose human characteristics on animals or go all misty upon killing them. They are meat, hide, horn, nuisance, threat or memories and I will gladly kill them for those purposes employing any legal means to do so. I would not want to club baby seals on the ice pack, but think it is great there are fellows who want or need to do that form of hunting.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buliwyf:
Maybe the Kansas City Star will print your rebuttal.

Hell will freeze over due to global cooling before that happens. Wink

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19359 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is it different going to the den to get the bear than it is waiting at a pond for ducks that are tired and hungry to land? hmm....

I have that issue actually. I enjoyed the articles except for the bear one, I just thought they went about it poorly, wasn't thought out very well. doesn't make them horrible people, they made a miscalculation. they at least lived.

Hey Will, how many elephant have you shot now? Is the last as exciting as the first?

Anybody know where I could get the statistics on elephants, I have heard there are 400k plus now in africa.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're more generous than I. I wouldn't have wasted a book on the fool.