Find
Notify
Tools

Re: tape over the muzzle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted
There's a product called a Muzzle Mitt (I believe) that is just a little condom like you mentioned with the glove finger. They work well and they're reusable, but they are a bit fragile and can get torn on branches, etc. I'm so cheap, I've often rolled them off before a shot so I can use it again. They'll last a long time until you rip it.

A small balloon would work very similarly.

Electricians tape is considerably tougher and has lots of other uses.

Kyler

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post
You're on the right track, but it's even easier. I've seen this used in restaurant kitchens: finger condoms. Yup, guy slices up a finger and they put on a bandaid and then cover the finger with a tiny finger-size condom. Rolls right on and seals it all away. You can probably buy a box of 500 and be set for life.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I've often heard of the mud wasp problem, so I was more than a bit surprised when two diff. PHs asked if I wanted to remove the tape before I shot. One was 25 the other 47! I ran some accuracy tests & found the air in front of the bullet breaks the tape & no ill effects w/ accuracy out to 300yds.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why wouldn't you? I always do and like David C. I always keep a spare wrap or two on the barrel.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used both the elec. tape and the condoms (finger) "on the barrel"! As stated earlier the condoms will tear very easily. On my recent elk hunt I used the elec. tape and "planned" on removing it before any shot opportunities. Shot opportunity arrived - tape was not removed! The 6X6 350 class bull never new about the tape at a lasered 405yds, actual about 300 at an approximate 60 degree downhill shot. I am a beliver that the elec. tape DOES NOT effect the bullet trajectory. This was 180gr. nosler partition out of a 26" 300 Wby Mag.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Although I never do it, its a splendid idea and I probably should have on several ocassions..

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote