Notify
Tools

A cute Al Maktoum story
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted
United Arab Emirates win first ever Olympic gold medal

Sheik Ahmed Al Maktoum of the United Arab Emirates won the first ever Olympic medal for the gulf nation in winning the double trap shooting event.

Maktoum finished tied for 18th in the same event at the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney, and earlier in the Athens Games had finished 4th in the single trap shooting event.

The forty year-old Maktoum, is a member of Dubai's ruling family, and was educated in the United States, at Western States University in Phoenix, Arizona.

Newspapers in Australia after the 2000 Sydney games reported that as the Sheik went through the airport in Sydney, he was asked for his flight number by Australian customs. His short answer was reportedly "No number, no airline, my plane." Customs then asked for the registration number of his plane which he didn't have. He then told customs officials that he had five planes, and he just phoned for one of them to come pick him. A 747 showed up to take him home!

Now THAT'S traveling in STYLE!

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I would very much like to be able to call and have my 747 come and pick me up. I also would enjoy being able to bring as much ammo and as many guns as I want. Heck, I'd have a gunrack in the back of my plane. It would be a redneck style plane.

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Quote:

Heck, I'd have a gunrack in the back of my plane. It would be a redneck style plane.< !--color-->

Love it!!! Absolutely love it!!!

Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gunrack! Now that's silly.

Any sensible person would just mount the guns in the wings! Think how much area you could cover while buffalo hunting.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
Quote:

It would be a redneck style plane.

I'm trying to picture a 747 in primer with bondo patches...

Toolmaker

Posts: 1000 | Location: in the shop as usual | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

....<snip>...... Customs then asked for the registration number of his plane which he didn't have. He then told customs officials that he had five planes, and he just phoned for one of them to come pick him. A 747 showed up to take him home!

Now THAT'S traveling in STYLE!

"It's good to be the King!!"

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote