THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What is your favorite rifle to take to Africa?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your favorite rifle to take to Africa?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've read a lot of discussions on AR over the BEST rifles or calibers to take to Africa covering DG, PG, etc. And for this question, we get specific answers.

But what is your favorite rifle/caliber that you LOVE to take on safari?

It's the rifle for which you conjure up the next hunt, just so that you can take that rifle.

I'm not asking for the best caliber to take to Africa for any particular animal, nor the best 'all around rifle/caliber'.

It may be a small, medium or large bore.

It's the rifle that you WANT to take on safari, whether it fits into any particular battery or not.

You dream of taking this rifle to Africa to hunt SOMETHING! Just because you love this rifle.

Mine would be a tie between my two Dakota rifles in 404 Jeffery and 35 Whelen. But I said favorite which implies just one, so...

OK! My 404 Jeffery.

And yours?

Posts: 2624 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
My favorite rifle is a Wiebe .375 H&H. Go anywhere, do anything, no nonsense rifle.

Second would be my AHR .375 RUM...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 35whelenman
posted Hide Post
My Win M70 .416 Rem Mag. Because it has 'Safari' stamped on the barrel and where else but Africa do you really need a .416.

Posts: 162 | Registered: 14 September 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
My Verney Carron O/U 9,3x74r or...

Just to piss everybody else off my $49.99 sub moa sporterized (add another $200) Mosin Nagant in 7.62x54r

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
My custom Winchester Model 70 Big Five Series Safari Rifle in 375 H&H, followed by my 375 Flanged Double and my 450-400 Double. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
My last two trips to Namibia, I’ve used my PH’s camp rifle, which is a Mauser 8 X 68 mm, topped by a Leupold scope. I’ve used it on Black Wildebeest, Eland and Waterbuck. My PH, Jan du Plessis, calls it the “Hammer of Thor” it’s so deadly. I also use Jan’s suppressed Ruger 77 Tactical in .308. It’s so heavy, I named it the” Anvil of Thor". It’s much more convenient using fine camp rifles instead of lugging heavy gun boxes half way around the world.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took a Remington 700 30-06 on my only safari so far.

It worked flawlessly on everything from steenbok to eland with factory 220 gr core-lokts.

Posts: 618 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On our one trip, I took my 9.3X64 that I built on a VZ24 action. My wife took her Mauser in 7X57 that was my first rifle that I got when I turned 11. It started as a .243, and I re-barrelled it for her. We kept the 12.5" LOP that fits her perfectly.

On the trip we are planning the 7X57 is going back. My wife wants the warthog she didn't get before. It's a perfect plains game rifle.

I'll let you know my favorite in 30 years and a few more trips.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Rifles, Inc 416 Remington Magnum. I have had it over 20 years. I have shot everything from Sharpe's grysbok to elephant with it. It is insanely accurate and a pleasure to shoot. I love that gun.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My custom Lon Paul Model 70 in 375 WBY. It will do it all.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
My Cooper .17 HMR. I shoot doves, francolin, and guinea fowl for the trackers with it. I have also taken a few close head shots on impala with it when the PH needed meat for camp. When I take them right behind the ear, they go down like they were struck by lightning. That little 20 gr solid is a killer!

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used to be my ahr cz 375 H&H. I beat it up pretty good on 4 trips and them customized it again with nice wood.

Now I barely shoot anything so I take any rifle I have not hunted with before.

I really want an blaser K-95 single shot but a left handed one won’t be available for a while.

Next trip thinking ruger Number in 300 H&H I bought on ar.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have made only one trip to SA but my Remington 30-06 makes it on most of my trips so I'm sure it will make the next trip.

[/IMG]

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
My left handed, Winchester Model 70, Classic Safari Express in 375 H&H. It's made four trips to Africa and has taken Steenbok to Buffalo.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
You asked WHAT rifle I WANT to take, so it is my Simson- Suhl .405 double rifle.

My other big bore rifles have already been to Africa, so it is the Simson's turn. Plus it is fun to shoot.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of shoulderman
posted Hide Post
My Ruger M77 Safari .375 H and H. After market trigger job 2.5 lbs, bedded in glass. A pleasure to shoot and deadly accurate. My 14 yo shot a spring buck at 440 yds last year with it.

Kodiak 2022
Namibia 2019
Namibia 2018
South Africa 2017
Alaska Brown Bear 2016
South Africa, 2016
Zimbabwe 2014
South Africa 2013
Australia 2011
Alberta 2009
Namibia 2007
Alberta 2006

Posts: 236 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 17 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
My favorite to take is my Verney-Carron .470 buy it obviously has limitations. I guess my favorite do all is my Win model 70 Safari in .416 Rem. It’s nothing special. I had it cerakoted and have an upgraded wood stock, but it shoots great and I haven’t found Ammo yet it doesn’t like.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Semi-custom CZ550 in 375 H&H. Only rifle I brought last time and it’s the only one coming this go around.

Would also love to bring my full custom 9.3x62 built on a M98 action, and would happily use it for a one rifle safari. Elephant is on the menu this time, so the 375 just seemed better (and yes, I know that’s still marginal).

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
My favorite African rifle is my CZ 550 Magnum actioned, AHR made, .500 A-Square, because if I've got it with me, then big, thick skinned, dangerous game is on license. Cool

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My go to gun for a lot of years has been my custom CZ550 in .416 Rigby. It consistently drives tacks with almost any bullet but my go to has always been the 400 gr North Fork.

I recently ordered a new Heym Martini-Express in .375 H&H that should be here in a few weeks. I'm thinking that will be my new one gun safari rifle.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bud Meadows:
My last two trips to Namibia, I’ve used my PH’s camp rifle, which is a Mauser 8 X 68 mm, topped by a Leupold scope. I’ve used it on Black Wilbesbeest, Eland and Waterbuck. My PH, Jan du Plessis, calls it the “Hammer of Thor” it’s so deadly. I also use Jan’s suppressed Ruger 77 Tactical in .308. It’s so heavy, I named it the” Anvil of Thor. It’s so much more convenient using fine camp rifles instead if lugging heavy gun boxes half way around the world.

Yep.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13395 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
After having hunted with several factory rifles, and chamberings, I decided to do what one does when one wants the very best.

Do it yourself!

I designed and built two rifles for two different purposes.

A 30/404 for hunting only plains game.

180 grain at 3480 fps is just magic for those long shots.

For animals that can bite, stomp or gore you, a 375/404 works like a charm.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:

It's the rifle for which you conjure up the next hunt, just so that you can take that rifle.

Have a buffalo hunt coming up and nothing in the safe larger than .338, so a new gun was in order. Built on a VZ24 in 404 Jeffery, should have it in about a month.

Posts: 793 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
A .500 NE double rifle in virtually any flavor. Wink

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took the question to be what rifle would you like to take to Africa. One that hasn't gone, at least not yet, is a Mannlicher-Schonauer in .458 Win. Mag., the same model that Richard Harland used for his culling work. Except, early in this rifle's life, someone fitted it with a claw mount and a vintage S&B scope with a German 4 reticle. I can't shoot it well because I can't get a consistent aiming point with that reticle. I could replace the scope or just hunt with irons, but my eyes are getting old. That said, I'd love to get that rifle to Africa, double set triggers and all.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a 375 H&H I built.

Model 70 7STW action, Lilja barrel, Winchester SuperGrade stock. Swaro scope.

Nearly every trip I take the 375 and...a 416 or a 30-06 or a 300 H&H. And yet I seem to shoot everything with that 375!

It isn't especially accurate on paper, but it seems to hit when and where it matters. At last count it had 20-something one shot kills, not counting a buff that got fed a second shot since it wasn't falling over quickly enough. I've also made some incredibly weird shots with it that I didn't really expect to make. The gun seems to just have a certain Mojo!

After Swiss Air lost it for a few days I even decided to collect the parts to replace it if necessary! I've got the parts, but haven't assembled it yet.

It's going to Zambia again this year along with a 338 but I expect the 375 will get used the most.

Posts: 552 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that I am into hunting cape buffalo, I am sure enjoying my .577 NE single shot. Not too practical, but lots of fun.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3402 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So far I have three.Anyone of my Ruger 458 Lotts,my Searcy 500NE or my first custom R.Martini 458 Lott(second one has a bad barrel).I am hoping to add another to that list soon-a Searcy 450NE.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everybody for your contributions.

I find it very interesting to hear of others favorite rifle/caliber that they want to take to Africa.

I think many of us have our NA favorites, and due to the animals we hunt here, it is usually sometimes different than what we choose to take to Africa.

There is also the romance of the dark continent, and the larger animals that sometimes require larger bore rifles. But I am also interested in your choices of the small and medium bores as well.

But there are many calibers from which to choose, and that is where all of our individuallity shows through. And for me, that is what makes this thread so interesting. beer

Posts: 2624 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Brno ZKK 602 .375 Wby rechamber / 250-grain TTSX load / red hartebeest medicine for August 2018

Took my first African big game with it in 2001 -- warthog. Since then I've taken my customized Remington 721 in .300 H&H for kudu, etc.

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BNagel:
Brno ZKK 602 .375 Wby rechamber / 250-grain TTSX load / red hartebeest medicine for August 2018

Took my first African big game with it in 2001 -- warthog. Since then I've taken my customized Remington 721 in .300 H&H for kudu, etc.

Bnagel,
Throw that thing away and get yourself a better rifle. animal

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I took my Remington 700 chambered in .375 RUM on two trips to Africa. One trip because I was after Cape Buffalo, the reason I built that rifle.

My last three African trips I took my .300 Weatherby Vanguard, so by the numbers that would be my favorite rifle.

But, like Saeed posted, it depends on what I'm hunting.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1634 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
No question about it...my William Evans 470.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My british double in .475 NE..

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I've only been once, but this was my favorite rifle I brought that one time! AHR modified CZ550 .375H&H. Come to think of it, that rifle has accompanied me on EVERY hunt (barring bird hunts) that I've gone on as either primary or secondary.

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My PH's cheap, Remington .308. It worked great and did everything I wanted it to do. No paperwork either.

My .300 and .30-06 will stay in the safe!

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason P, I too have used the PH's rifle on one trip.
Tikka 7x64.It was a great hunt and sure made travelling simple.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3402 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite by far is "Thelma" my .375 Win. Pre 64 H&H Built by Robby Barrkman of Robar Inc.

She's taken everything from Dik Dik to Elephant!

Here she is in 1996 in her original attire, beautiful wooden stock:

I had her change her attire to a synthetic stock with a carry sling. She isn't as pretty but just as sweet!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Open veld or savannah as it's now called, Gibbs .505 , impala to buffalo with TSX / NF cups.
More dense bush NE .577 double, TSX, spare solids, impala to buffalo.

Sure both make impalas spin and somersault!

Usually bring my 30-378 for the kids PG with 200gr TSX.

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
My 404 put together by Ray. Power and reliability but still can take a long shot for a zebra or impala.

http://i18.photobucket.com/alb...537960&1522593569480

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote