Gun silences marauding lions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gun silences marauding lions

From The Standard

Updated 5 hr(s) 12 min(s) ago
By BONIFACE ONGERI

Two lions that have been terrorizing Wajir town residents have been shot dead.

The lions that killed scores of livestock and spread fear in the town for a month were shot in Shelate on the eastern outskirt of the town.

The Kenya Wildlife Service officers who have been hunting the animals cornered them in Shelate Integrated Primary School.

Wajir KWS Warden David Odoyo said the town was now safe from wild animals.

"The two have been causing anxiety in the town and when the officers went to nub them they charged at them and we had no option other than killing them", he said.

"They killed donkeys, cattle and goats before we fell them", he said

He said the current drought situation has seen wild animals encroaching urban settlements sparking human/wildlife conflict. The conflict has also seen baboons and human beings hurling stones and crude objects at each other in order to access water in Wajir North Constituency.

Both sides have suffered serious injuries with several people hospitalized at Bute District Hospital. The baboons also prey on weak livestock

Last year a stray bullet hit a Bute Girls Secondary school student during a confrontation between local police officers and the baboons.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9486 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
quote:
The conflict has also seen baboons and human beings hurling stones and crude objects at each other in order to access water in Wajir North Constituency.

Both sides have suffered serious injuries with several people hospitalized at Bute District Hospital.

Maybe Obama will establish a no-fly-zone.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yuck

I wholeheartedly agree.All that is needed is to make him aware of the crisis!

President's Day-If Obama comes out of the Whitehouse and sees his shadow we will have two more years of unemployment.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
A more impressive feat in Wajir would be establishing a no flies zone.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Its actually interesting that Marauding Lion still exist in that area. Maybe not so for the local people though Roll Eyes

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote