New
Find
Notify
Tools

Solids & Buggy Whips (same thing?)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
With the total lack of 375 H&H Solids in a city the size of Dallas, is the industry telling us we don't need Solids anymore. Are the soft-nosed sufficiently well made that Solids are now the equivalent of buggy whips. Would you (or have you) hunt(ed) buffalo without Solids in the magazine?

Posts: 13860 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, I wouldn't but I'm a solids guy to begin with. I've killed every buff with (.458") solids, either at the request of the PH or because that was what I had and the buff was encountered while elephant hunting. The performance I've seen with (.458") solids on buff leaves nothing wanting.

If you are really hurting for solids, we could probably enlist the assistance of another AR member from the Dallas area and I could send them a box or at least a partial box of the Federal Sledgehammer load for you to pick up.

I'm about 95% sure I have at least ten or so in 375H&H on hand, might have 30. My 375H&H rifle doesn't like them and I load the 300gr Woodleighs to shoot to the same POI as the 300gr Trophy Bonded Bearclaws.

I would be more than happy to help out if you're in a jam, so just let me know so I can recruit another AR member.

(Edit: I'm getting off my big butt to go see how many I have. I'll post the number shortly.)

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kensco,

I have a full box and they're yours if you need them.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
Would you (or have you) hunt(ed) buffalo without Solids in the magazine?

Yes, premium softs barnes TSX, Swift a-frames, TB bearclaws, Northfork cup points, will penetrate through a quartering or broadside buff, plus a brain if the buff charges. That being said, if you have to do a Texas heart shot which is quite often with buff hunting you need a good solid so I would still have a soft in the chamber for #1 shot and solids in the mag for all other shots.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Although I have shot a few Buff with Swift and Woodleigh softs, most have been taken with Woodleigh solids and all these first shots have been backed up with solids.
Solids are great when shooting through the thick stuff.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of FMJ .375 Let me know if you need some.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Solids these days are for elephant and hippo.

With the premium "softs" that are available these days - such as the Swift A-Frames or the Barnes TSXs (or Saeed's Walterhogs) - solids are not needed on buff, and are arguably disadvantageous.

IMHO, of course. Wink

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always want a solid for my second going away shot on buffalo and I much prefer them on Elephant and Hippo, but If I didn't have any I would hunt anything with todays super premium Monolithic bullets and seriously doubt if I would ever have a problem if I was carefull...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote