THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Natal, RSA hunting - outfitter recommendations??

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Natal, RSA hunting - outfitter recommendations??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
Hey guys,

Many of you know my family had to cancel our safari to Namibia that we had been planning for 2+ years, due to some "technical difficulties" with my dad's work and his ignorant boss (now ex-boss thank God). Instead of re-booking again, I am just re-evaluating the safari industry and doing some more research to see what else is available.

Can you guys recommend some good outfitters in the KwaZulu Natal region of South Africa? I've always wanted to go there.......mainly because of the beauty and the Nyala. Any information you could post would be greatly appreciated.

The animal "wish list" includes the following:

Nyala
S.G. Kudu
Eland
Gemsbok
Blue Wildebeest
Black Wildebeest
Red Hartebeest
Bushbuck
Waterbuck
Warthog
Impala
Blesbok

I look forward to hearing some of your suggestions. Thanks.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Madubula Safaris. John & Lauri Abraham. Several great PH's.

Madabula

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be hunting with Mark Dewet for the 5th time starting Oct 1, 2008. We will be hunting in Natal for 5 days and then on to Zim for 10 days. Mark has access to many properties and will place you on the best properties for the species you want. Your wish list (I think) would take a good two weeks with Mark. He will only get you on true trophy animials. The 5 days scheduled are for Red Duiker and Suni only. I don't think you can take all of your wish list in Natal. Gemsbok, Black Wildebeest and Waterbuck would (I think) be a put and take deal. Marks email is marksafex@icon.co.za. I think Mark is comming in from the bush today and I don't know how long he will be in. The reason I know this is I am needing to talk with him about my up comming hunt.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
http://www.southernafricansafaris.co.za/

Try this place if you want a wonderful hunt. I do not receive any compensation for the referral. However, John has promised not to make too much fun of me when I am not present to defend myself.

The PH posts here as 500nitro. John is one of the most professional and organized PHs I have ever hunted with. His qualificaions and connections to the hunting industry in that part of Africa are without question. He has a beautiful low fence huge concession in Natal bordered by traditional Zulu villages. The game populations are incredible and the place is swarming with great nyala. I and my two teenage daughters hunted this concession in 2007. I killed a very nice nyala the first day out and my daughters each took zebra, impala, and blesbok in 3 days of hunting. We saw very good kudu, waterbuck, warthog, bushbuck, duiker, bushpig and blue wildebeest. The accomodations are a 100 year old farm house sitting on a hill overlooking the range of 1000 hills. It is the nicest and best concession I have hunted in 7 trips to Africa.

PM for my phone number if you want a to discuss this option further.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Although they weren't my outfitters, I did the Natal portion of my hunt with Zululand Hunters. Their Mavela area is just thick with nyala and warthog. Three different outfitters combined their safari companies to make Zululand Hunters.

Looking at your wish list you could probably expect to change areas to get everything on that list, or plan on taking animals introduced into an area.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eland/gemsbok/hartebeest/black WB are dry area species, eg kalahari

Nyala, bushbuck, warthog are riverine species, eg KZN.

The others are versatile.

There aren't too many places you can find all these on one property, certainly not in Natal which tends to be too wet and tropical for the arid area species.

We do have a 65000 acre property in northern RSA that has them all, except the Black WB. The Nyala and Waterbuck are not plentiful there but they are shootable.

Otherwise, we can line you up with a two-venue hunt. RSA or Zim/KZN. Depends on your priorities. Or perhaps you may decide to make two trips.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
Russ is right. A one stop hunt for this wish list is a bit tricky.
We can organise most of the animals here at one venue in KZN, and the Gemsbuck, eland, hartebeest at another ranch up north.

Harris Safaris
PO Box 853
Gillitts
RSA 3603

www.southernafricansafaris.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/pages...=aymt_homepage_panel

"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne." - Karen Blixen,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Hey guys........thanks for the suggestions so far. I didn't mean that all the animals had to be hunted on the same property.

I'm not claiming to be an expert on KwaZulu Natal, not by any means. However, I've been told by several PH's that all the species I have on the "wish list" can be hunted there (in self sustaining herds).......not necessarily all on the same property, but all within a reasonable drive, and all in Natal. I could be wrong.

I was also thinking of maybe doing a KZN/Limpopo hunt or a KZN/East Cape hunt. I know many people don't like the eastern cape, due to the presence of many non-native species, but that doesn't bother me. I don't mind non-native species on a property as long as they are self-sustaining and not put-and-take. I have no interest whatsoever in a put-and-take operation.

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trophyman
posted Hide Post
I am going on my second safari with NB Safaris in the Limpopo region.
I had a perfect hunt. Good people.
www.nbsafaris.co.za

Neil and Karen Barnard are the consummate professionals.

Trophyman

Benefactor Member NRA
SCI
California Rifle & Pistol Assoc.
Drive a 69 Chevelle SS396

Posts: 145 | Location: Bakersfield, CA. | Registered: 15 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try www.ntshonalangasafaris.co.za/
These guys are great.

Posts: 252 | Location: Morris IL USA | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trophyman:
I am going on my second safari with NB Safaris in the Limpopo region.
I had a perfect hunt. Good people.
www.nbsafaris.co.za

Neil and Karen Barnard are the consummate professionals.

Trophyman

I'm afraid they are way out of our price range......WOW!! Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eland Slayer
Natal and the Eastern Cape are both very diverse places encompasing diverse habitats. Natal ranges from sub tropical coastal bush through to moutain ranges and where I come from rolling hills interspersed with pockets of bush in the sheltered valleys. A good PH will be able to set you up for all of those species within easy driving distance of Zululand where I suggest you start your hunt. You can then go nothwest towards the Tugela region to finish it off or head South. You will find bigger ranches as you go furthere north, although there are some huge properties in the foothills of the Drakensberg that offer great hunting.
Good luck, and enjoy your hunt. Word from the wise. Spend your days and money hunting, not drivingt the whole country flat. If you want to get around then add days, and a lot of them as you dont want to end up struggling due to being tired.
Best of luck.
Ian

Posts: 423 | Location: Natal - South Africa | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boerbokrib
posted Hide Post
Tugela Game ranch is really excellent

check out these photos.http://huntnetwork.net/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=&uid=102&orderby=dateA

Also lowlands is really exceptional www.lolands.co.za

Posts: 291 | Location: Sourh Africa | Registered: 07 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Eland Slayer,

I'm stating with some confidence that between myself and 500nitro you can get a very good Eastern Cape and KZN hunt, and at good prices! I endorse what PWN375 said about John.

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
Here is another bump for John Harris and Southern African Safaris. My experience in Africa is limited to one double rugged PAC elephant hunt in Zimbabwe. But I am planning on a trip to see John and hunt plainsgame with him in KZN in August/September 2009. I have looked at so many companies and websites, etc, etc, and just can't imagine they can deliver a safari experience better than Mr. Harris.
Best of luck to you in whatever decision you make.
Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
I'll double down on the recommendation of Madubula Safaris -- KwaZulu Natal is one of John Abraham's specialty areas. I've hunted with John and each of his PH's on various hunts and have never been disappointed in either the quantity or the quality of the beasts they have found for me to satisfy my wish list. My problem is usually just one of deciding which new animals to add to the list to fill the days remaining on the hunt after everything I originally wanted is in the salt.

I'll be hunting with Madubula in Moz for all of October -- and I know going in that life will be good on that trip.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChrisTroskie
posted Hide Post
I've just come back from Natal and a hunt combining Limpopo (possibly North-West Province) and Kwa Zulu Natal might be just what you're looking for...

Here are pictures of some of the species on your wish list taken this season with my outfit...

Blue Wildebeest taken during July this year at my Natal concession

28.5" Nyala - also taken in July at my Natal concession (Nyala is really doing good there this year)

Gemsbok taken during May in Limpopo

Eland taken (also in May) in Limpopo

18" Blesbok taken in May in North-West Province

And a 26" Black Wildebeest taken in May in North-West

Regards,

Chris Troskie
Tel. +27 82 859-0771
email. chris@ct-safaris.com
Sabrisa Ranch Ellisras RSA
www.ct-safaris.com
https://youtu.be/4usXceRdkH4

Posts: 851 | Location: Sabrisa Ranch Limpopo Province - South Africa | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cable68:
Although they weren't my outfitters, I did the Natal portion of my hunt with Zululand Hunters. Their Mavela area is just thick with nyala and warthog. Three different outfitters combined their safari companies to make Zululand Hunters.

Looking at your wish list you could probably expect to change areas to get everything on that list, or plan on taking animals introduced into an area.

this is a good outfit with a lot of concessions.

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eland Slayer,

I had a great time hunting with Chris Troskie this July (My wife's and my 1st trip to Africa) hunting in Limpopo and KwaZulu-Natal. We saw a wide variety of game including burchells zebra, blue wildebeest, nyala, kudu, red hartebeest, baboon, reedbuck, impala, and warthog in KZN. We saw gemsbok, eland, kudu, duiker, waterbuck, bushbuck, blue wildebeest, blesbok, springbok, caracal, jackal, ostrich, klipspringer, duiker, zebra, and warthog in Limpopo. I found Chris to be a good hunter and a pleasant companion. All details of the hunt were well organized. Lodges were comfortable in scenic locations and the food excellent. The people we met were to a person courteous and hospitable. Chris and his wife Sabina were excellent hosts and my wife and I will hunt with them again. No other hunting parties were in our camps which we enjoyed.

The Troskie's also arranged touristing in Cape Town for us and we all had a blast in that beautiful city and the surrounding countryside and coast.

I shot a nice nyala and wildebeest (Chris pictured them above), 2 zebras, blesbok, waterbuck, impala, and baboon. I enjoyed my hunt, saw beautiful country (and Emaweni game ranch in KZN is beautiful), and was able to share it all with my wife which was important to me. She enjoyed the trip so much I doubt that I'll be able to return to Africa if I don't bring her! If I can just get her to hunt also...

Best to you on an equally satisfying African hunt for you and your family!

Paul Jones

Posts: 141 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 05 September 2004Reply With Quote