Find
Notify
Tools

Trophy insurance
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TJ
posted
As some of you may recall, I think I got screwed a couple years ago with a shipment of trophies from Namibia. Some were damaged in shipment.
I just read some of the fine print from the broker and saw the following....
(premium 1.1% on the cost of replacement value of trophies only.)
I received USD$1624.00 for a missing Springbok skull and a Warthog skull with no tusks.
Do you consider that a fair replacement value? Did I get screwed or is that a fair settlement?
If anyone else has had an insurance settlement from Africa, does that sound reasonable?
Thanks.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first shipment of trohpies yielded a cracked and chipped warthog skull. After two years of being given the runaround I finally received 250 USD -they offered me another warthog but you can guess my answer.

I was "satisfied enough" as I never thought I´d get a penny out of it.

Maybe suprised is the correct word.

Getting 1624USD sounds very good -who did you threaten and with what? 2020

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
That sounds more than fair, that's got to be more than the trophy fees and taxidermy costs were for those two animals. Don't know what they would do for a missing leopard, lion or elephant tusks.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I always carry insurance on my trophy shipments. It covers not only the taxidermy costs, but also the fair market value of the hunt and trophy fees. Not that you would want to re-hunt something, but it does cover all of those costs, not just the taxidermy costs. It gives you some peace of mind having it.