New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leopard Ridge Safaris
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Along with many of you I had heard of the many trials and tribulations of the Mickelsons who operate Leopard Ridge Safaris and hunt the Nympala concession along the Luangua river. Ross was actually deported at one point. Having heard nothing recently I phoned Zambia today and was delighted when Ross answered the phone and informed me that they were back hunting as usual and having a great year so far. I haven't hunted with them but visited with them at SCI Reno and was favorably impressed. Maybe Ican make it in 08.

Posts: 414 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Adrain

That is wonderful to hear.

The last time I heard was (the case) went to the High Court after Ross was officially/illegally deported, and his excellant local Zambian lawyer filed and I understand the Judge may have ruled the government deported him illegally.

It is/was a very long story of many many contridictions and false aquasations, it seems that despite all the bad things we might say or hear about Africa, that (provided one is definativaly in the right) that justice can be served

All the best to Ross and family

Cheers & happy hunting, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balla Balla:

It is/was a very long story of many many contridictions and false aquasations, it seems that despite all the bad things we might say or hear about Africa, that (provided one is definativaly in the right) that justice can be served

Cheers & happy hunting, Peter
unless your are a white man in Zimbabwe!!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13402 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Hi jdollar ..

Yes you are 100% correct / I should have put a caveat on to exclude ZIMBABWE and some other countries UP NORTH in Africa as well.

Generally speakinng (Southern Africa) being SA, Bots, Namib, Bique and Zambia, they are reasonably OK, at least by African standards )-:

Cheers, Peter ( ex: Zimbo resident) in the early days when men were men and women appreciated us (-:

Those were the days of wonder and dreams, alas we are now in the real world again

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Adrian Parham:
Along with many of you I had heard of the many trials and tribulations of the Mickelsons who operate Leopard Ridge Safaris and hunt the Nympala concession along the Luangua river. Ross was actually deported at one point. Having heard nothing recently I phoned Zambia today and was delighted when Ross answered the phone and informed me that they were back hunting as usual and having a great year so far. I haven't hunted with them but visited with them at SCI Reno and was favorably impressed. Maybe Ican make it in 08.

I hunted with Leopard Ridge and had Ross as my PH in August of 2006 and was in fact in camp when ZAWA pulled their permit. My 10 day hunt became a 7 day hunt but what a hunt it was! No regrets whatsoever and standing with Ross as a poacher wounded bull charged from 20 yards and seeing him drop just seven paces from me was quite the experience. I took a fine bull later and a nice Kudu and record book Cookson's Wildebeest. It would have been nice to take the Eland and 14 foot croc I saw during the three days we spent photographing instead of hunting but still a great time.

They run a great outfit and have a tremendous hunting area and hopefully they will eventually get due process under Zambian Law, something which has been denied them by ZAWA, at least to date.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the post. I hunted with LRS in August of '05 and was wondering what the latest on their problems was. I can tell you this, Ross Michelson is absolutely a class act. He went well out of his way, when it was in no way his responsibility, to assist my party when we had some airline/strike problems. As Sam said, Nyampalya is a fantastic area too. Wish I could afford to go back.

Posts: 322 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ross is back in town as I have seen him around but have no idea on whats happening with his concession and all that mess

Posts: 228 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 25 September 2003Reply With Quote